Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What a difference a year makes: Zimmer is raving about his team’s pass protection
Last season the Minnesota Vikings were forced to adjust offensively to make up for their inability to protect Sam Bradford. This year, the Vikings have allowed one sack in the past five games – and that was for a loss of one yard.According to Pro Football Focus data, the Vikings allowed just five total pressures against Washington. With a clean pocket, quarterback Case Keenum completed 17-of-20 throws.

“I really like our offensive line,” head coach Mike Zimmer said Monday. “The way they’re playing together. They’re playing really tough and physical.”
Left tackle Riley Reiff still hasn’t allowed a sack this season and fill-in right tackle Rashod Hill gave up zero pressures in D.C. on Sunday.
Zimmer said keeping his QB out of trouble has also been driven by running backs Jerick McKinnon and Latavius Murray as well as offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur’s protection schemes...
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/1...rotection/

Continuity up front has been a plus as well. Last season the Vikings were routinely swapping in different starters because of injuries or poor play. This year, rookie center Pat Elflein has played every snap, right guard Joe Berger has only missed two snaps and Reiff has played 97% of plays.

The Vikings’ offensive line has also had a major impact on the running game, which ranks 10th in total yards.
“I think that they can get to the second level a lot better,” Zimmer said. “It helps when they can get off the double team or get to the second level and get to the linebacker, that’s how you can get some big runs.”
Minnesota’s next opponent – the Los Angeles Rams – will test their growth on the O-line. They are fifth in the NFL with 28 sacks.

1 sack in the last five games...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:

....is a thing of beauty.... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

It's amazing how quickly they have come together as a unit. They are definitely having an impact and worth raving about.

Yup. Starts up front.  Proud of those guys. 
They are everything Boone said HE was.

It is simply amazing to me that they are doing so well. It has been years since the O line was a strength. It defies all odds and explanation.
We have all seen where they bring in several FAs to fix a weakness and it usually fails.  For it to work with an O line is especially strange to me.  The amount of cohesiveness needed to play well as a group would normally doom this from the start.

I dont get what is going on with Berger.  We had Sully who was supposed to be a Top center and was the one bright spot on a dismal line.  He gets hurt, Berger moves over and does so well that they keep him there even after Sully is back.  Then they keep Berger and move him back to RG?  I must ahve some of this wrong.  Someone fix my poor recall.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Helps to have a mobile qb with good pocket presence too Smile