Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How a group of underdogs became the best DL in the NFL...
There are zero first-round picks on Minnesota’s D-line. Every member started at the bottom and now they’re here, so to speak. As the Vikings head into Washington, they rank as the NFL’s third best team in points allowed, third best against the run, eighth in QB sacks, and fifth in Adjusted Net Yards Per Attempt, if you’re into “advanced” stats.
To build this group up front, it has taken years of patience and development. It’s also taken a special set of humans.
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/1...-line-nfl/

Spielman get any credit for this?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Spielman get any credit for this?
Dre'

I trust our defensive coaches to develop our defensive players a lot.  I think Spielman did a good job of getting them players they can mold.

How about late game heroics from Johnson and Hunter?  Wow, did those two show when we really needed it.

Great read.   Love the part that the older players are teaching the generation behind them.

“It goes back to the common theme: If they are high character guys that
are smart football players that are truly passionate about what they do,
then we can work with someone like that,” Spielman said. “We can teach
him, so long as he’s willing to put in the time and effort and is
willing to learn and willing to pick it up and listen.”

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
There are zero first-round picks on Minnesota’s D-line. Every member started at the bottom and now they’re here, so to speak. As the Vikings head into Washington, they rank as the NFL’s third best team in points allowed, third best against the run, eighth in QB sacks, and fifth in Adjusted Net Yards Per Attempt, if you’re into “advanced” stats.
To build this group up front, it has taken years of patience and development. It’s also taken a special set of humans.
Who remembers when the Vikings had 1st round picks across the front four? I do. Doug Martin, James White, Randy Holloway and Mark Mullaney. Not a terrible DL, but certainly not among its best. 

That was some bad drafting. That the Vikings have been able to identify talent later in the draft (Hunter in the 3rd, Griffen and Robison in the 4th, Stephen in the 7th) and match that with talent from free agency (Joseph, Johnson) is a testament to how much improved this scouting department is. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
Who remembers when the Vikings had 1st round picks across the front four? I do. Doug Martin, James White, Randy Holloway and Mark Mullaney. Not a terrible DL, but certainly not among its best. 

That was some bad drafting. That the Vikings have been able to identify talent later in the draft (Hunter in the 3rd, Griffen and Robison in the 4th, Stephen in the 7th) and match that with talent from free agency (Joseph, Johnson) is a testament to how much improved this scouting department is. 
I remember them days...Pretty sobering after Page, Eller, Marshall and Larson.

Only one of the group worth their salt was Doug Martin. Yep, I liked Doug Martin a lot. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

I remember them days...Pretty sobering after Page, Eller, Marshall and Larson.

Only one of the group worth their salt was Doug Martin. Yep, I liked Doug Martin a lot. 
Yep. Doug Martin was pretty good. I remember he had the biggest head in the NFL. Had to make a special helmet for him. I remember Doug Martin mostly because his draft was the first draft that I remember paying attention to. Been a draft nut ever since.