Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It’s not inconceivable that Vikings’ 2018 starting qb might not be on current team
It’s not inconceivable that the Vikings’ 2018 starting quarterback might not be on the current team that’s gotten off to a 6-2 start.
Case Keenum, a perennial backup who has filled in admirably as starter, can become a free agent after the season. So can Sam Bradford, the season’s starter now disabled, and Teddy Bridgewater, precariously returning after being disabled.
The big question, though, if none of the trio returns, is from where next season’s starter will come: A veteran now playing elsewhere, or the draft?
If Bridgewater, roster-activated for Sunday’s game in Washington, shows he’s capable of starting again, he could end up with a two-year contract, maybe totaling $40 million with about $20 million guaranteed.
But if during the next eight weeks Bridgewater shows that he can’t return to his former status before his horrific knee injury 14 months ago, he simply could be jettisoned as a free agent.
If the latter occurs, the Vikings could try to sign Keenum to a one-year deal for a lot more than he’s making this season ($2 million), then draft a quarterback in the first or second round next spring.
If Keenum starts the rest of the season, and the Vikings win 10 games and their division, he conceivably could get a one-year deal worth about $8 million from Minnesota.
http://www.twincities.com/2017/11/11/cha...ppearance/

as long as the team believes teddy is coming back, he is the teams QB. he is zims qb. he will get every opportunity to be the starter long term. thus he WILL be on the roster next year, likely the starter 

The Vikings definitely want and need to see Teddy in some games this year to better gauge things. Its going to happen, maybe as soon as next week.

ITs not just get back to where he was year 2, but is the upside still there or not? We were all pretty optimistic going into year 3. Not sure if that narrative has changed or not? But the org sure as hell has to find out. 

Closer to home? Lets just get a win with Case today @ DC.

Road doesnt get any easier next week vs Rams. 

I know a lot has been talked about when it comes to TB’s contract being tolled. Did i miss something that says it will not be?
Just thinking that would give the Vikings another year to figure him out. 
However, I think any way you look at this, they need to draft a viable alternative this upcoming off season. You just never know what will happen with his knee.

Quote: @Riphawkins said:
I know a lot has been talked about when it comes to TB’s contract being tolled. Did i miss something that says it will not be?
Just thinking that would give the Vikings another year to figure him out. 
However, I think any way you look at this, they need to draft a viable alternative this upcoming off season. You just never know what will happen with his knee.
the fact that he is healthy at the mid way point has me  thinking that Camp Teddy would not be very warm to a tolling,  sure they can try it and it might actually happen,  but what do you gain? 

you get a pissed off Teddy for 1 more year and then you will not likely find a guy wanting to leave so you are forced to use a tag on him.  not to mention that you will sour the locker room and make it tougher to lure free agents.  IMO just find out this year if you want him for next year.  offer him a 2 year deal with decent money so that in 2 years he is entering his prime and will be poised for a monster deal if he can prove his health and ability.