Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Texans kick the Kaepernick tire?
Rudderless Texans Need Colin Kaepernick, or Risk Sinking Potential Super SeasonWhat we saw with the Houston Texans on Sunday wasn't just a glimpse of life without Deshaun Watson. It was a team wasting everything. Wasting its talent. Wasting its time. Wasting your time.
Tom Savage isn't a quarterback. He's a punch line. How many Texans linemen does it take to screw in a light bulb? Two: One to screw in the light bulb, the other to recover the pieces after Tom Savage fumbles it.
At one point in the second half of the Texans' 20-14 loss to the Colts, Savage was 9-for-29 for 96 yards and a quarterback rating of 41.7. This was against the 31st-ranked pass defense in the league. All in all, Indianapolis has one of the sorriest defenses in football and all Savage could do was muster one touchdown and a passer rating of 66.4.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/27426...ce=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Savage is horrible. 

A team in desperation probably will take a hard look at Kaepernick...

yeah.... because Kapernick is the guy to save the season... better than Savage,  no doubt,  but lets be honest... that team is toast and all kapernick will do is screw up their draft pick at this point and create a media shit storm around the team.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
yeah.... because Kapernick is the guy to save the season... better than Savage,  no doubt,  but lets be honest... that team is toast and all kapernick will do is screw up their draft pick at this point and create a media shit storm around the team.
Why would you assume that Kap is "no doubt" better than Savage?  Savage can improve (not saying he will)... but we know what Kap WAS... and there's "no doubt" in my mind that he's (at this point) nowhere near what he was- even on his bad days.  

That being said, I would take great delight in watching Kap get signed... start... and be the reason why a team's season goes down the toilet.  THEN- hopefully- we'll never hear "Team X must sign Kap... or they're racists!" again.

Quote: @pumpf said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Why would you assume that Kap is "no doubt" better than Savage?  Savage can improve (not saying he will)... but we know what Kap WAS... and there's "no doubt" in my mind that he's (at this point) nowhere near what he was- even on his bad days.  

That being said, I would take great delight in watching Kap get signed... start... and be the reason why a team's season goes down the toilet.  THEN- hopefully- we'll never hear "Team X must sign Kap... or they're racists!" again.
because Kap has shown much better in the past,  I was never a fan of his, but he is a good backup/lower starter level guy and Savage hasnt shown that ability to date.

however... we are entering week 10 of the season,  assuming it would take Kap at least 2 weeks to get up to speed with the system they are looking at getting him in there by week 12 at the earliest which leave him 6 games.  I am saying that they would see .500 over the next 2 games with a road game at the rams and home for the cardinals,  and basically they would be looking at a split over the last 6 games to get them to 7 wins... that isnt going to get them anywhere so why bother?  in the same division as the jags they might as well start looking at the draft and ways to improve their team for next year.

I actually see this team as a 6 win team regardless of who is playing QB,  they have the niners, cards, and colts left on their schedule,  the rest are likely losses even with the great kapernick.

Say what you will about Kaep, but he got his team to the Super Bowl. He has talent. Not sure how anyone with a straight face can possibly say he isn't being blackballed by the league. He most assuredly is. Whether that's proven in a court of law, who knows? 

Is he great? Probably not. But he beats the crap out of who some of these teams have signed the last year or so. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Say what you will about Kaep, but he got his team to the Super Bowl. He has talent. Not sure how anyone with a straight face can possibly say he isn't being blackballed by the league. He most assuredly is. Whether that's proven in a court of law, who knows? 

Is he great? Probably not. But he beats the crap out of who some of these teams have signed the last year or so. 
kap ceased to be much of a consistent threat when the league said the wildcat/read option QBs didnt have the protections of the Qb position.   once he started to get hit more often his game when to shit IMO.   and he didnt help himself any by messing with his diet and losing all that weight/muscle mass.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:

kap ceased to be much of a consistent threat when the league said the wildcat/read option QBs didnt have the protections of the Qb position.   once he started to get hit more often his game when to shit IMO.   and he didnt help himself any by messing with his diet and losing all that weight/muscle mass.
Yes to all that......and he most definitely should have a backup job somewhere if you are talking from a football standpoint. But he doesn't and its all political. Honestly, I think teams should be allowed to sign or not sign who they want. I don't care if Kaep gets a job or not. But if the question is should he from a football standpoint, the answer is overwhelmingly of course. 

Kaepernick is better than a 1/3 of the starters playing in the NFL right now. I just don't see anyone signing him at this point. He'd have to come in cold, learn a new offense, deal with all the media distraction, and he'd likely have to be a backup, and sign for peanuts, neither of which I think he's prepared to do. 

I do think Savage will improve though. He actually started to settle down a bit as the game went on, finishing 10 for 16, 130 yards and a TD, but he was god-awful in the beginning. His passes were just WAY off. Savage looked good this summer. He actually beat out Watson for the starting job and was pulled in the first game because he has ZERO mobility behind Houston's terrible OL. Texans have to adjust to that with more of a quick strike passing game and they haven't done that.