Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bud Grant has praise for Mike Zimmer's gift for coaching defense
The fact that the Vikings, who sit at 6-2 during their bye week, are in first place in the NFC North has impressed Grant.Bud Grant oversaw the greatest stretch of defensive teams in NFL history from 1969 to ’71, when his Vikings squads gave up 9.5 points per game in 1969, 10.2 in ’70 and 9.9 in ’71.
That 1969 total still stands as the second-best mark all-time. 1971 is tied for fourth, and 1970 ranks seventh.
Grant talked about what he sees from Mike Zimmer’s defensive game plan these days, as the 2017 Vikings defense is ranked fourth in the NFL at 16.9 points per game and third in yards per game at 282.1.
“He understands defense, but he also understands one of the most important things in coaching is you have to understand the personalities and put them in the right spots,” Grant said. “He understands who can play and puts them in position to be successful. He is a great defensive coach. As long as you go along and only allow a team one or two or even three touchdowns a game, you have a chance to win.”
http://www.startribune.com/bud-grant-has...454594723/

Granted the game wasn't as wide open offensively back in those days,  but those numbers were amazing by any standards.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Granted the game wasn't as wide open offensively back in those days,  but those numbers were amazing by any standards.
The D was pretty damned stellar through 74/75. Some argue 69 or 71 were the greatest Vikings team ever, I say 75. The team that lost in the Divisional Round to Dallas and Hail Mary. 

As good as those D's were, we needed just a little more juice on offense to have won one SB. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
The D was pretty damned stellar through 74/75. Some argue 71 was the greatest Vikings team ever, I say 75. The team that lost in the Divisional Round to Dallas and Hail Mary. 

As good as those D's were, we needed just a little more juice on offense to have won one SB. 

Kind of where I think we are at right now.  We have the D,  but the O needs a little more...

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
The D was pretty damned stellar through 74/75. Some argue 71 was the greatest Vikings team ever, I say 75. The team that lost in the Divisional Round to Dallas and Hail Mary. 

Kind of where I think we are at right now.  We have the D,  but the O needs a little more...
Gotta get the QB figured out. They need to do so before this D starts losing players to FA or key cogs like EG are on the downside of the mountain top. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
The D was pretty damned stellar through 74/75. Some argue 69 or 71 were the greatest Vikings team ever, I say 75. The team that lost in the Divisional Round to Dallas and Hail Mary. 

I think you meant to say "Pearson Push-off."