Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You are the GM -- what do you do?
There are a lot of opinions out there in the QB situation comparing the relative merits of Bradford, Bridgewater and Keenum. but put yourself in Speilman's shoes -- what do you do?  You could stay out of the fray, let Zimmer manage this, and deal with the consequences in the offseason. more likely you would want some say in the matter, given the potential long term effects on the franchise depending on how things play out. If i were Spielman, i'd insist that the team get a look at TB in game action this season.  i would not want to be in a position in the offseason having to figure out whether to make a commitment to TB without some serious post-injury data points. You can make a strong case that Bradford now has sealed his iwn fate -- regardless of how brilliant he plays, are you really going to trust a guy going forward who will miss a half a season or more based on non-contact knee soreness in a twice operated knee?  i dont think so. You can equally say that you know what you have in Case, and its likely not worthy of a franchise quarterback committment. that leaves the need to play TB in order figure out how to approach the offseason   

Of course the complicating factor is that the Vikings appear playoff bound with a real shot at making some noise in the playoffs. the Super Bowl is not out of the question. Case is winning and if TB flops, the stakes are very high. 

I would give myself a long overdue raise. 

Not sure it is the GMs job to say who starts, other than to make sure the coach knows you need to find out what you have in TB for next year.

IMO, it is a no lose proposition, Case is a good backup but knows his role.  If Teddy is able to use the whole playbook and protect himself, then there is no reason to not find a spot to start him.

Quote: @greediron said:
I would give myself a long overdue raise. 

Not sure it is the GMs job to say who starts, other than to make sure the coach knows you need to find out what you have in TB for next year.

IMO, it is a no lose proposition, Case is a good backup but knows his role.  If Teddy is able to use the whole playbook and protect himself, then there is no reason to not find a spot to start him.
Yea that is the way I see it.

Sam is out of the equation for any extension next year so it comes down to finding out more on Teddy.  Then we will also have to decide on keeping Case and at what price because he might get a decent offer from somewhere else.  Sloter is developmental but I think we are looking in the top couple rounds for a QB as well.

If I am Spelly I really want to see what we have in Teddy as soon as he is physically cleared and mentally cleared by the coaches.  I don't think getting Teddy to start would upset the apple cart one iota, in fact, I think he would give a significant boost to the entire team.  Now if he comes out and isn't playing well then we have Case who is capable and we can blame Teddy's slow start to rehab....but as GM, there are some tough decisions looming after this season.  

If i'm the GM I want Coach doing whatever he can to win this season. I really think the QB situation will straighten itself out through events that occur on the field.  

Note that I'm a huge Bridgewater Bobo. 

How about this hypothetical... What if Teddy doesn't play this year and the team rides the Case wagon. 

What leverage does Teddy have? Would it not be in Teddy's best interests, at that point, to stick with familiarity (say a one or two year deal) and prove he is worth a mega contract? 

How big of a deal could Teddy realistically fetch with zero documented proof, outside of what the Vikings know, that he is physically and mentally going to be able to perform at a high level again (honest question here)? And would that deal be too "rich" for the Vikings to match/outbid? If it is, wouldn't that indicate the team has some serious doubts about his future?

Entirely possible I'm the naive one here, wouldn't be the first time... Lol! But, if it's me, you play Case and bring Teddy in if the ride starts to get bumpy.

Quote: @LabGeek said:

How about this hypothetical... What if Teddy doesn't play this year and the team rides the Case wagon. 

What leverage does Teddy have? Would it not be in Teddy's best interests, at that point, to stick with familiarity (say a one or two year deal) and prove he is worth a mega contract? 

How big of a deal could Teddy realistically fetch with zero documented proof, outside of what the Vikings know, that he is physically and mentally going to be able to perform at a high level again (honest question here)? And would that deal be too "rich" for the Vikings to match/outbid? If it is, wouldn't that indicate the team has some serious doubts about his future?

Entirely possible I'm the naive one here, wouldn't be the first time... Lol! But, if it's me, you play Case and bring Teddy in if the ride starts to get bumpy.
That has some merit as long as they keep winning with Case.  The first bad game without him getting on the field would likely start a shit storm unless they brought Teddy in.  I'd take the first semi obvious chance to get Teddy snaps and see how it goes.

Would it be possible to let Keenum continue to start the games, and if the Vikings have a two-to-three TD lead late into the third or fourth quarter, bring in Bridgewater to get some game time action.  I like Bradford and he should continue to rest for the playoffs, or if the season is in jeopardy. 

When the playoffs begin, and if the Vikings are in it, hopefully, all three QBs are ready to go.  Let each one know they could go in, because depending on the situation, they may have to go in.  I imagine teams would be caught off-guard if a QB they didn't prepare for came in during the second half.

This is a unique year.  The SB is in Minnesota and the Vikings have a good shot at making the playoffs.  They should do anything possible to first make it into the playoffs, win in the playoffs, and take home the Championship in Minnesota.

During the off-season, that's where Rick is going to have to make some tough decisions. 

Quote: @LabGeek said:

I dont think you want to insult the kid.  far to many teams in need of a QB that would take a flyer on Teddy including his hometown team.

Play the kid or dont play the kid,  but you better be prepare to tag him or lose him if you dont come to him right.

As Denny used to say you dont lose your job due to injury. Teddy plays, probably the 2nd half of the LA game. Wins it for us with a 2 min drive. Thank you very very much Case, we trust you, we love you, but it is Teddy’s time to fulfill his destiny. 

2018 - TEDDY, Kyle, 4th Round Draft pick

I appreciate how well Case has played for us but I want to see what Teddy can do with this O-line protecting him. I totally expect some rust but when all is said and done it could very well set the stage for the best yet from Teddy.