Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zulgad: Keenum deserves credit, but all signs point to Teddy Bridgewater taking over
Case Keenum has earned accolades at Winter Park for helping to guide the Vikings to five of the six victories they posses entering the bye week. That includes a 33-16 victory over Cleveland on Sunday in London that improved Minnesota to 6-2 and will put it atop the NFC North during the week of rest.
It appears likely that Bridgewater soon will be back on the 53-man roster – the 21-day window to make a decision will expire next week – and an NFL Network report Sunday indicated that he could challenge Keenum for the starting job for the Vikings’ first game out of the bye, Nov. 12 at Washington.
Zimmer did nothing to quiet this speculation after Sunday’s game when asked about having to make a decision on his starting quarterback.
“Hopefully, I have a decision to make,” he said. “I don’t know that yet. We’ve got two days of practice next week, got another day of practice (the following) Monday. We’ll sit down, we’ll evaluate everything. Case has done an unbelievable job. He’s done what we’ve asked him to do. He’s come out and kept things rolling and we’ll just figure it out as we go. I don’t know, we’ll see. I hope I have to make a decision.”
If Zimmer does have a decision to make, meaning Bridgewater doesn’t suffer a setback, it’s hard to believe that the coach won’t make the switch to a guy who was seen as the Vikings’ long-term solution at quarterback before he crumpled to the practice field in late August of last year at Winter Park. Bridgewater, whom the Vikings took with the final pick of the first round in 2014, led Minnesota to an 11-5 finish and an NFC North title in only his second season.
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/1...er-taking/

As for Keenum, the 29-year-old deserves a ton of credit for stepping in for Bradford and being good enough to help his team win games. The decision to give Keenum a one-year, $2 million contract was a wise one by general manager Rick Spielman.
So why not stick with Keenum?
The first half of the past two games have answered that question. Keenum was 12 of 21 for 86 yards with an interception and a horrible 46.9 passer rating at halftime of last week’s victory over Baltimore. His halftime stats Sunday against Cleveland were better – 18 of 28 for 196 yards with a touchdown, interception (off a tipped pass) and an 81.8 passer rating – but his play was sporadic.
“Early it was a little spotty, I thought,” Zimmer said in assessing Keenum’s day. “Kind of like last week. But he played great in the second (half), made some great throws, took care of the football.”
Keenum finished 27 of 43 for 288 yards with two touchdowns, the one interception and an 88.1 rating.
This is Keenum’s fifth NFL season, his third team and not the first time he’s dealt with uncertainty.

[Image: itdkln0qucld.jpeg]
I’m ready...  B)

I just hope that when/if Teddy starts...  it's because he looks better than Keenum in practice and he earns it.  I don't want to see us make the switch because we "hope" Teddy is ready...

And this is coming from a guy that is a HUGE Teddy fan.

Eventually they HAVE to see what they have in #5, but yah Wet...He's gotta earn the start over Case I would think (hope) 

Case should be the starter.  Teddy can replace him if and immediately when Case shits the bed in a game AND Teddy demonstrates he is better in practice.  

Case deserves a longer leash imo. 

Quote: @Wetlander said:
I just hope that when/if Teddy starts...  it's because he looks better than Keenum in practice and he earns it.  I don't want to see us make the switch because we "hope" Teddy is ready...

And this is coming from a guy that is a HUGE Teddy fan.
I really don't see him getting the opportunity and not earning it. Coach Zimmer loves and respects his players too much to do something like that.  

The pick against the Ravens shouldn't be all on Keenum,  it wasn't a great ball,  but I t was catchable if there hadnt been obvious interference,  however yesterdays pick and several batted  balls were definitely on him as a result of him starring down his target and that's the shit we can't have.  As far as slow starts,  IIRC the O didn't come out blazing with Teddy but was that a result of Teddy being hesitant or the play calling.  I think it was the latter and we need to see what we have with Teddy in this offense before we can make any real determinations on who will give us our best shot in the playoffs.  

IMO give Teddy a few games and if there isn't better play then you have a real QB controversy,  but as of right now if the team wasn't winning with the QB play we've seen then we would be calling for a change.  The final outcome should not necessarily be the deciding factor for when the switch is made,  the overall level of play should be. 

I know it's tempting to just look at the wins and say that Case deserves to keep going, but this team is stacked with talent on both sides of the ball and that's why we're winning. We're winning despite Case Keenum, not because of him. 

Here's my final take on it: very happy the team is 6-2 and the potential QB debate is a good problem to have. Keep winning!