Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Souhan: Shurmur's play-calling is best thing that could have happened for Vikings
Norv Turner was a renowned offensive coach, but the Vikings caught a break when he quit almost a year ago today.In some ways, Shurmur has faced more challenges through the first two months of this season than Turner did before he quit. With Shurmur running the offense, the Vikings are 6-2 and look more diverse and deceptive.
Watch the Vikings’ offense from the press box this season, and you see receivers open constantly. You also see running plays producing against stacked fronts.

In the third quarter on Sunday, the Vikings earned a first-and-goal from the Browns’ 1-yard-line. Shurmur lined up fullback C.J. Ham in the backfield and running back Jerick McKinnon in the right slot. McKinnon went in motion toward center, took the handoff, and scored as Ham and two tight ends cleared a massive hole. Then McKinnon scored almost as easily on a two-point conversation.
It’s difficult to find or create space near the goalline. On consecutive runs, McKinnon met about as much resistance as a Who fan in Hyde Park.
“Pat’s varied,’’ Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said. “He does a lot of different things, he moves the pocket, he’s got a lot of different formations and movements and runs.”
If someone told you in September of 2016 that the 2017 Vikings would be 6-2 while relying on Case Keenum, Jerick McKinnon and Adam Thielen, you would have asked how much time that someone had been spending in Colorado.
http://www.startribune.com/pat-shurmur-s...454003033/

Under Shurmur, Thielen has become one of the league’s most productive receivers. This season, three different backs have rushed for 95 yards or more in a game. Thielen’s touchdown catch Sunday was the result of a play-action fake that froze a safety, as well as Keenum’s ability to scramble and find Thielen in the back of the end zone.
“I think he’s a great play caller,” Keenum said.
Shurmur has managed to protect Keenum, to run the ball effectively despite injuries to key figures, to free up receivers downfield, and to find roles for everyone from Ham to David Morgan. (Tight end. No. 89. Tall guy. Lots of hair.)
Turner was a renowned offensive coach, but the Vikings caught a break when he quit almost a year ago today.

Those last few seasons Turner survived on his rep...hopefully we never hire a guy who tries to fit the players to the scheme again...

Shurmur really has done an outstanding job this season.  I was kind of luke warm on him after last season, but he's impressed me.

I'm kind of glad he's had two opportunities as a HC and teams have moved on...  it might allow the team to keep him as an OC long term.

He seems to be able to make the most of the personnel and he is more flexible. He plays to player strengths and weaknesses and recognize the need to adjust. 

Posted in another topic but will post here too.
[Image: ZpVqfGLN_normal.jpeg]Vikings PR@VikingsPR2h
After @KyleRudolph82 finished off an 84-yard drive today, the #Vikingshave 8 TD drives of at least 80 yards, tied with KC for most in NFL.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
Shurmur really has done an outstanding job this season.  I was kind of luke warm on him after last season, but he's impressed me.

I'm kind of glad he's had two opportunities as a HC and teams have moved on...  it might allow the team to keep him as an OC long term.
This, you read my mind. I was just thinking today what team is going to be looking for a HC this year?  I would love some continuity and ingenuity on the O side of the ball. 

While I do like the Shurmur offense better than Norv’s, I really wish that more TD’s were scored instead of FG’s. Also, it seems to take a while for the O to get going.
They finish stronger than they start though, which is better than when Chilly was here and they’d drive down and score on the first drive and then go scoreless until garbage time.