Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB Kyle Sloter confident would ‘have a job’ if waived by Vikings
I'd easily dump Rodney Adams before Sloter.  You could easily replace him with a street player if WR depth becomes an issue.  We're not keeping both Bridgewater and Bradford next year and Keenum's not a guarantee.  Maybe you draft a QB next year to develop, but perhaps Sloter could be that guy.  Keep that option open.

We will certainly find out how the Vikings really feel about Sloter now. They've seen him up close and personal in practice. If Teddy can get up to speed quickly and look decent over the course of the next 2-3 weeks, I expect Bradford to be put on IR at some point. 

Its possible Bradford has played his last down for Minnesota. 

Bradford to IR, or we carry 6 WRs as opposed to 7...one of those two things is most likely to happen...

Cut the punter Cuz when Teddy is ready we aint gonna be puntin no more!
B)

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@minny65 said:
Wow, so Sloter is the highest paid QB on the roster after this year.  Actually the only one paid.  We have a lot of CAP space if and when the QB situation unfolds with Sam/Teddy/Case.
Not really,  Sams deal was a bargain,  Teddy is still on a rookie contract,  and Case was pretty cheap as well being a 1 year back up type deal.  All totaled wouldn't likely get enough for 1 top tier QB contract.  We will have some room, but I'm betting we will be pretty tight with the other contracts we have coming due.
I don't know that Bradford's 2017 contract is a bargain: his cap hit is $18M - tied with Philip Rivers at 13th-highest in the NFL. According to Spotrac our 2017 cap includes $2.1M for Bridgewater $1.9M for Keenum, and $400K for Sloter, so a total of $22.5M in the position this year. I agree, though, that $22M is not a lot if we have to go shopping in the FA market. Next year, there are already 14 QBs slated to make at least $20M, so we would have to do some squeezing to make room for a guy like Kirk Cousins or even Jimmy Garropolo. 

Our 2018 FA list does show some guys who could drop off the payroll: Terence Newman, Emanuel Lamur, Tom Johnson, Joe Berger, and Sharrif Floyd account for $12M. You have to think some or all will be gone, right? The only upcoming UFAs who could be costly are Jerick McKinnon and Michael Floyd - but we have a bunch of guys who will be entering the final year of their contracts, when Spielman likes to get players extended: Anthony Barr, Eric Kendricks, Danielle Hunter, Stefon Diggs. Might have to let a couple of them play out their last year unsigned if we spend elsewhere.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
If the Vikings were to waive quarterback Kyle Sloter to create room on the roster for Teddy Bridgewater, the rookie is confident he would find a job
I’m not really too concerned day in and day out with my NFL future,’’ Sloter said of the possibility of being waived by Minnesota. “I think that I’ll have a job.”
Here is how I read Sloter's remarks: "If you waive me, I will be trying to sign elsewhere, not just waiting around to come to Vikings TC next summer." Bit of a warning.

I don't think it will be an issue. 4 HEALTHY quarterbacks on our roster at the same time? Ha, that'll be the day!! Anyway, as many others have said, we have 7 WRs, we could get along with 6, maybe even 5. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
We will certainly find out how the Vikings really feel about Sloter now. They've seen him up close and personal in practice. If Teddy can get up to speed quickly and look decent over the course of the next 2-3 weeks, I expect Bradford to be put on IR at some point. 

This.  I think the Vikings are waiting to see how Teddy Bridgewater performs in practice before they make a decision on Bradford this season.  If Teddy still can't do all the things they need to see from him in this 3-week window, they could IR him for the rest of the year.  Conversely, if he looks like he is ready to play and Bradford's knee hasn't improved, I could see the team putting Bradford on IR as well (or IR-designated to return which would leave open the option to activate him at the end of the season or potentially the playoffs).
These next couple weeks should shed some light on how the QB situation will unfold this season.  Bottom line, I don't think we'll have 4 QBs on the active roster coming out of the bye week.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@purplefaithful said:
If the Vikings were to waive quarterback Kyle Sloter to create room on the roster for Teddy Bridgewater, the rookie is confident he would find a job
I’m not really too concerned day in and day out with my NFL future,’’ Sloter said of the possibility of being waived by Minnesota. “I think that I’ll have a job.”
Here is how I read Sloter's remarks: "If you waive me, I will be trying to sign elsewhere, not just waiting around to come to Vikings TC next summer." Bit of a warning.

I don't think it will be an issue. 4 HEALTHY quarterbacks on our roster at the same time? Ha, that'll be the day!! Anyway, as many others have said, we have 7 WRs, we could get along with 6, maybe even 5. 

I read his remarks the same way.  On one hand, I don't doubt that he's right, I think he would be picked up the second we cut him to try to put him on our practice squad.  On the other hand, they are kinda cocky remarks for an UDFA rookie.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@StickyBun said:

This.  I think the Vikings are waiting to see how Teddy Bridgewater performs in practice before they make a decision on Bradford this season.  If Teddy still can't do all the things they need to see from him in this 3-week window, they could IR him for the rest of the year.  Conversely, if he looks like he is ready to play and Bradford's knee hasn't improved, I could see the team putting Bradford on IR as well (or IR-designated to return which would leave open the option to activate him at the end of the season or potentially the playoffs).
These next couple weeks should shed some light on how the QB situation will unfold this season.  Bottom line, I don't think we'll have 4 QBs on the active roster coming out of the bye week.
Likely not. It's not an ideal situation, but I like it more than exposing Sloter. I tend to agree that either Sam or Teddy goes on IR. God forbid it's both. 

Quote: @SFVikingFan said:
@Jor-El said:
@purplefaithful said:

I read his remarks the same way.  On one hand, I don't doubt that he's right, I think he would be picked up the second we cut him to try to put him on our practice squad.  On the other hand, they are kinda cocky remarks for an UDFA rookie.
I like cocky/confident at the QB position.  Sloter has now been practicing with Case, Sam and now Teddy.  He probably see's that he can play and is confident...me likeee!