Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Explaining the Vikings’ defensive success in 9 stats
The Minnesota Vikings’ defenses have ranked among the best in the NFL over the last two seasons, so it should come as no shock that the Vikings are among the best in the league again. How good have they been? Let’s have a look at nine stats that tell the story…
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/1...s-9-stats/

Wow...knew they were good, but those are some impressive numbers

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
Wow...knew they were good, but those are some impressive numbers
That they are...Best defense since Millard, Doleman, Browner and gang.

I don't think we've seen their best yet either. Now if the offense can keep the wheels on the cart? 

Zimmer is a defensive mastermind, and a great defense means that you will almost always be in every game.  Plus, the offense has been on fire when it has been healthy, and even at times with a backup QB.

And yet, I feel like I've had to defend Zimmer the past few weeks against posters who have started talking about replacing him.  Unbelievable.

I agree SFVF, seems silly looking at how are team has responded despite the adversity.

As to the D, this is the stat that sticks out when watching them.
Yards per play allowed: 4.8

They just don't allow teams to move the ball.  Detroit had one drive over 30 yards IIRC.   

Smith, Rhodes, Joseph are all playing lights out.  Barr is a beast again, something that was missing last year.

Waynes is the player that gets dogged too much in this defense. But really I think he has to put up with more targets because of the defense. When you have that many people playing well you are going to get one guy that gets picked on. 

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
Waynes is the player that gets dogged too much in this defense. But really I think he has to put up with more targets because of the defense. When you have that many people playing well you are going to get one guy that gets picked on. 
Really thought it would be Alexander, but wisely I think Zimmer has him in a rotation to learn the position without being under constant fire.  So glad Newman came back.

One note on the Rhodes/Waynes coverages.  Did you notice who Waynes was covering last week?  He drew Jordy as Rhodes shadowed Adams instead.  Wonder how that felt for Jordy playing second fiddle in terms of our defense?

Mac Alexander is finally starting to get it. 

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
And one thing I've been really impressed with regarding Waynes this year is his improved tackling ability and willingness to really come up and make tough tackles in the running/screen game.

My favorite stat is the 3rd down conversion stat: #1 in the NFL. And the bonus is that the offense ranks pretty high on 3rd down as well. That makes being a fan so much easier. Nothing more frustrating as a fan than not being able to stay on the field on offense, and not being to get off the field on defense.