Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL commissioner, players' union angrily denounce Trump
Disrespecting our flag and the national anthem is NOT thoughtful, inspiring conversation, at least IMO.

Tell that to the guys who died in WWII, The 53,000 in Korea, the 63,000 who died in Vietnam.

tell it to those wonderful troops who fought / died in Iraq, Afghanistan.  

Tell it it to my father and brother who were both Marines.

tell it to those guys who right now are sleeping in the dirt halfway around the globe.

Im NOT a Trump guy, it's NOT about him. It's about those guys who put their own lives in harms way.

makes me sick ANYONE who doesn't rise and pay respects to the national anthem.

I am from a huge military family and they all support this form of protest. You can support the military and police and still support the right to protest. 

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
Tell that to the guys who died in WWII, The 53,000 in Korea, the 63,000 who died in Vietnam.

tell it to those guys who right now are sleeping in the dirt halfway around the globe.

Im NOT a Trump guy, it's NOT about him. It's about those guys who put their own lives in harms way.

Saying it disrespects those guy is like saying a hunger strike disrespects food.  The anthem at a sporting event, is marketing, not about their sacrifices, its using them to promote a product or rev up a cause.  Don't marginalize their sacrifice, Tebow took a public knee for his cause.

I disagree.

but I don't tread on the flag doing it.

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
I disagree.

but I don't tread on the flag doing it.
That's just IT, isn't it? 

I wore this country's uniform, and I agree with the 1st amendment, that they have "the right".  

But, is there NO OTHER WAY for these  guys (kneelers) to exercise their rights? 
Congrats, liberals.  This is the America, you wanted, and it's all over the airwaves tonight.  You wanted this "argument"... now you got it.
Good luck winning it.  Most of us, are not ashamed to be American. 

Just when I've about had enough of these ignorant prima-donnas winning the day, a MAN like Villanueva sucks me back in. 

[Image: DKgSm8sWAAEyzGD.jpg]

Go ahead, and exercise your right to question America. 

Just be prepared, to deal with the blow-back amongst those of us who don't.  
And if the POTUS made the "bold claim" to trigger that... sorry (?) he didn't draw first blood, on this topic.

Truth be told... I hope this is a pertinent issue, for years.   
Every issue we've argued, can be 'boiled down', to this. 

Blame on the liberals for this?  Kaepernick started this over a year ago and nothing on this scale occurred till this weekend.  This was in response to the president, in his speech in Alabama he called protesters sob's.  The league is 85% African American and he is spewing hate to his base. Own it, it's yours.

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
I am from a huge military family and they all support this form of protest. You can support the military and police and still support the right to protest. 
as am I,  I have many family members with decades of service and they will all tell you the same thing... they did what they did to support the rights of the constitution,  but dont mess with the flag or the reverence its due.  

by protesting during the anthem those that are doing so are disrespecting the time set aside to show reverance to that flag and to the moments of sacrifice that have been given in defense of it and the principals and rights that the flag represents.

we have debates over what a particular orange and black flag says,  some say its southern pride,  some say is racist...but they all agree that a piece of cloth represents something.  from cub scouts to 5 star generals the American flag represents 200+ years of pride and sacrifice by those drawn (willingly or not) into saying somethings are above personal beliefs.

There is a time to protest and there is a time to STFU,  stand up,  put your hand over your heart and pay the respect that is due, when it is due.  I dont care if Kap and others want to use the NFL platform to promote awareness,  just dont do it at the expense of the American flag when its given its time in the spotlight.  

( if the owners were really behind this,  they would let the playeres wear patches or do other shit to promote their causes,  but they dont,  this is about not wanting to create a negative spin for the media to wind into something bigger)

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
@Vanguard83 said:

Saying it disrespects those guy is like saying a hunger strike disrespects food.  The anthem at a sporting event, is marketing, not about their sacrifices, its using them to promote a product or rev up a cause.  Don't marginalize their sacrifice, Tebow took a public knee for his cause.
Quote:
Marketing tool?  I must have missed the part where the league or the owners profit from the national anthem,  and Tebow was just as wrong to take a knee as the clowns doing it now.

I dont like it when they are jacking their jaws with their teammates,  hell i cant stand seeing people that cant bother to put their hands over their hearts  and dont even get me started on people not removing their head wear.  this isnt about allowing it or not allowing it,  this speaks to the type of person that would choose to use that particular moment to try and steal the spotlight from what it is intended to be about.  can their personal agendas not go on the back burner for 90 seconds ( or 15 minutes and 90 seconds if it Aretha) while we give the flag and what it represents the minimum of of what its due?