Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First 2 regular season games meaningless?
Albert Breer‏Verified account @AlbertBreer  10m10 minutes ago
More
Albert Breer Retweeted Seth Wickersham
This is true. There are contenders who, the last few years, have quietly treated the first month of the season as an extended preseason.
Albert Breer added,
Seth WickershamVerified account @SethWickershamReplying to @SethWickershamFor a variety of reasons, the first two weeks of the season are basically preseason games that count. Most teams know and accept it.

I can see that being true for a few teams, but not all of them.

Well, I think it’s very clear that the first to games are
sloppy like preseason games for a lot of teams due to the CBA and their
inability to practice effectively.

I don’t think teams are less concerned about winning these
games, because a win is a win.  I think
it will just take a little bit of time for the teams to figure out the optimal
way to prepare for these games.

I don’t think people should read too much into the outcomes
of these early games as predictors for the success over the course of the
season as a whole.  There’s just too much
variation in how up to speed each team is.

Quote: @Bolstad79 said:
I can see that being true for a few teams, but not all of them.
Wins are at such a premium in the NFL with only 16 games, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. This is sportswriters logic, IMO. Not buying it. Does going 2-0 mean much by the beginning of January? No, but that doesn't mean they are treating them like 'preseason games'. 

What is the % of teams going 2-0 making the playoffs vs 0-2?

I think these two clowns (Breer & Wickersham) are completely full of shit! It's amazing what some of these so called analysts pull out of their collective asses sometimes!  :p

... & tell that to the Bengals offensive coordinator that just got fired! 

The article or tweet doesn't say anything about losing the first 2 games of the season.  It says there are teams that treat it like extended preseason.

Teams don't use a lot of things during those first 4 games in the preseason, but they do start putting things into their offense and defense when the season starts. Trying new things that they haven't shown.

sounds like a stupid take IMO.  how often do we hear how competitive the league is?  that the difference between a great team and weak team is really minimal.  yes teams are likely still implementing new things in these first 2 games, but guess what..... they are still adding new things the rest of the games as well.  working to make what works better and trying to figure out ways to make what doesnt work, work.

Hogwash....Nobody wants to start off 0/2.

That said, September for show/December for dough $$$