Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, is Jaleel Johnson starting on Monday?
If not, then he should be. I thought he was our best and most disruptive defensive lineman this preseason and I love the size element he would bring starting next to Joseph inside. This team has struggled against the run and Johnson (even though he is a rookie) gives us the best chance to stack and push the pocket. Tom Johnson needs to continue his role as a 3rd down pass rusher and not as a starter with Floyd gone. I know Zimmer is adverse to starting rookies to say the least, and having to start Gedeon and Johnson at the same time might push him into a coronary......but it needs to happen. Anybody heard anything? Guru?

I believe he is listed as a backup,  but don't know for sure.

I believe TJ is the starter, only because I haven't read anywhere the rook is - and that would have made news. 

Lets try to remember that J.J. played vs 2s and 3s and will need time to prove himself vs NFL starters.  I hope he will continue to show that he deserves to be on the field once he gets into an actual NFL game, but until he does, Zim will go with proven talent and predictable results vs the unkown. 

J.J. should be a great rotation guy and hopefully will get a chance to start later in the season.  But not opening day, coaches need to see what he can do vs starters before making that jump... IMO. 

I think the predictable results will be this team will continue to get gashed against the run unless we get some size up front that can keep our LB's clean (especially against the Saints). Jaleel has about 30 pounds on Tom and has shown he can push the pocket and penetrate this preseason. Tom is great in his role as a 3rd down guy, but he can get pushed around versus the run. He just doesn't have the size to anchor consistently.

I don't think he's starting, but I'll bet dollars to donuts (whatever that means) that he's starting by end of year. 

Zimmer doesn't care about who starts along the Dline it is all a rotation based on situations.  

I'm pretty sure I read an article that said that we will have 3 rookie starter - Cook, Elflein and Gedeon so Jaleel will be part of the rotation.  Excited to see what he can do from the 3T.  

He may not start but he will rotate in after a series or two letting those anxious rookie jitters settle down a bit. If he is assignment sound and effective with few or no mistakes he may play the better part of the game.