Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I didn't now they IR'ed Datone Jones
First I heard of it! Vikings place defensive tackle Datone Jones on IR, may part ways
Defensive tackle Datone Jones was placed on injured reserve by the Vikings on Saturday because of a shoulder injury, but the team could still move on from their offseason signee.
The Vikings attempted to move Jones from outside linebacker to defensive tackle and the experiment did not go as they had anticipated. Rookie Jaleel Johnson outplayed Jones during camp, wrapping up the 3-technique spot.

Jones was a first-round pick of Green Bay in 2013 and spent his first four seasons with the Packers.

From what read, there's like a 24 hour period after 53 man cuts where players placed on the IR can't "return."

Teams can now pull 2 players off the IR to return, however, if a player was IRed too fast off the 53 man cuts, he is unable to return to the teams roster later in the season.

... I had thought, "oh, we must be trying to stash him away for later." ... If hes got an injury issue now, its a gamey way to open the roster spot and reevaluate later. Then PFT posted an article saying, "players IRed before 4 pm are unable to return under the new IR rules."

... then I wondered if Spielman missed that. Whats the point of IRing him and then releasing him vs just releasing him a couple days ago?

makes a better sounding headline than...Failed Free Agent Signing Cut After Showing Nothing!