Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Offensive Line Question
First, I admit I know little about offensive line philosophy.  My question is whether, with revamping of the Oline (and especially the release of Boone) are we seeing a change in Oline philosophy?  

Here is an article I just read to help me understand this:  https://www.dailynorseman.com/2016/1/14/...ach-scheme

I know there are people here knowledgeable about zone blocking schemes, etc. and I would love for them to explain to me whether we are seeing a shift n philosophy (and why).

Some one else will have to give you a more detailed answer.  For me(to oversimplify things), zone blocking is like synchronized swimming/choreography and man is like running heavy machinery.   

Here is what I've learned over the years.  All NFL teams use both,(or as the article pointed out, some call different things the same) sometimes heavily favoring one scheme over that other, sometimes almost equally.  Some coaches make the call by what their players are capable of executing and some take the "my way or the highway" approach.  That's why it can take a few years before a coach can get his "people" and become successful.  If you have an OC that wants to use zone blocking heavily, your team better have a Oline coach that knows how to coach it and believes in it too.  And just the same for the reverse.  If these two people have their own agendas your team will have issues... and you might lose your OC.... even after starting 5-0.  

Swapping out HCs,  OCs, DCs and Line coaches is not a good habit to get into.