Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Per NFL Teddy staying on PUP
Quote: @Mike Olson said:
Seriously though. Look at any discussion about Bradford, and it's basically filled with people that are like "Well we have to watch Bradford until Teddy gets back". 

That's the thing that I don't get. 

For my money I am hoping that Bradford is lights out better than anything we have seen from Teddy. Not because I don't like Teddy. But it would be great to have a QB be that good. But I get the sense from a lot of viking fans out there that they are rooting against Bradford because they don't want the possibility of him unseating Teddy to happen. And that's crazy. Maybe saying rooting against him isn't the right way to put it, but definitely a feeling that they don't want anything too good to happen for fear of losing Teddy as the long term answer. Even though we have no idea what Teddy is going to look like when he does make it back. 

And isn't this just what we expect as Vikings fans too? We get a QB controversy without either one of them stinking it up. 
I guess I gotta spend more time on the board, because I've never gotten that impression from anyone. But maybe I just dismiss those posts because they're likely stupidly long. Never understood the whole QB A is better than QB B argument, especially in THIS case. Far too many variables and unknowns with both of these guys. 

id rather see teddy play.i like what teddy brings to the position more than i do Sam. whether it is; intangibles, moxy, escapability, play making, calm or excitement at the right times, or just MY eye test. 

eventhough, I do think they are both somewhere betwen 15-22 best qbs in the league at this time and would lead the team to similar record, i feel more comfortable, confident, and excited as a fan watching teddy lead the offense

however, i understand Teddy is hurt and Sam will start even after Teddy is cleared until/unless Sam plays bad or is hurt. 

none of that changes the facts that i was at a wvu tailgate and heard about the Sam trade and was happy we got him and had to defend it to all my friend, or that i admired Sams performance last year and respected the work he had to put in on short notice. 

i like teddy more
i enjoy watching teddy play more
i believe we are a better team with a qb like teddy
i am excited for Teddy to get back
i want him to get his job back as soon as Zimmer says its time
i think that happens this year. 

doesnt mean i want sam to stink. it just means its what i feel and think. im not gonna tell you how to think about sam and teddy. 

i dont read social media for vikings, only here. i dont see anyone ripping bradford. but i do see people criticize others for liking teddy more. liking more doesnt mean hating the other.

maybe some people have favorite players. odd to shame them for it. 

I think there's the same number of people in both camps, and both sides are being too sensitive. Both QBs have been historically mediocre, and their supporters are basing their hope on the QBs potential to be better than they previously were.  I think Bradford has peaked, it's just about how much support you can give him.  I don't think Bridgewater has peaked yet, and like Bradford he hasn't had much support historically.

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
No and I should clarify I am not singling out any one individual. It's just a general feeling that I get from the fan base because I've heard it. I've read it. A lot. 

I think there is a lot of this type of mentality out there from people on any number of subjects. This good. That bad. 
Agreed, it isn't just from the QB tho.  It seems to be, this certain guy didn't fulfill my lofty expectations so now I hate him with a passion and won't be happy until he is bagging groceries.

After watching preseason... give me Case.  At least he doesn't listen to the coaches and he forces the ball deep. 

...where is that damn sarcasm font, ....

or maybe I mean it.  

There's another aspect to that Mike, in my opinion.

I don't think the Vikings really do enough to push him out front and center. They kind of walk eggshells on public opinion, and it's really left the media blowing in the wind when it comes to writing about Bradford with the gusto and confidence most other starting QBs (even the shitty ones) get this time of year.

I think it would be really simple for Bradford to win people over if they would spotlight his character and who he is; push him out there - put his image on media stuff. Ya know, commit to the now a little bit. But it's like it has to be an open ended "just watch" kinda deal, and unfortunately a side effect of that is feeling like #8 is a ghost outside of Sundays.

We can all see the fork in the road ahead; we can all kind of see the guillotine handlers ready to intercept those that doubted either guy - and there's nothing really wrong with rooting for Teddy. The issue is the hype, and I think that starts with The Vikings. The last thing they want is controversy over their decision, and they begun cutting off right away by playing Bradford and then not praising it outside of canned situations. Say enough to justify the trade, but never enough to cement his status as "the guy." ... even if it's contractual, to hold the advantage in negotiations later, it's crippled a lot of easy to generate hype about having a good QB entering a new season.

I have one foot in the boat and one on the dock for this debate.  I will be honest, I like Teddy a lot. I think the kid has a great heart, and for me that goes a long ways these days. Am I ready to say he is the future? Nah, I don't think we have seen enough of him yet.  I also am super nervous about his knee.  Don't get me wrong, I love that he's this far along already.  That being said though, I don't want to rush him back.  He is young, give him time to get to 100%.  I don't think his window has opened yet, let alone closed.

For Sam, I think a lot of his criticism isn't his fault fully.  "He check's down too much."  No kidding, any QB would when the line couldn't stop an old lady using a walker with 3 legs.  I think our WR corps is starting to take shape, but at the same time he isn't throwing to all pro's either.  My main point with Sam, is are we putting him in a position to win?  I don't think so.  Would Teddy be better behind this line?  Maybe, since he can (or could) move better than Sam.  I think even if we had "healthy Teddy" right now, he would face the same complaints.

Bottom line on this debate?  If we win games, aint no one going to care who the QB is.  It is easy to second guess decisions and players though when we see a terrible offense like we have the last four games.

I've seen the same thing Mike referred to on social media: a lot of fans rabidly rooting for Teddy's return and being completely dismissive of Sam despite all he accomplished in a terrible situation last season.  To be clear, I've said many times that I was dying to see where Teddy's development was gonna be last season; I'm still hoping that he's taken major steps forward.  That said, Sam appears to be the better QB in terms of actual throwing ability...but he's got a quieter personality, at least in what we've seen.  I think some of that comes from being bounced around as much as he has, and having dealt with pretty daunting situations at each team.

Teddy's awfully damned lovable, but I'll be honest: I didn't trust his arm past intermediate ranges, and he was the latest QB that had teams disrespecting our passing game.  If Sam takes things to the next level (or, hopefully, several levels), then he's our QB for years to come regardless how Teddy heals.  If Sam chokes, Teddy gets to re-earn his spot.

One more thing that can't leave my mind: I don't know when I'll be able to watch Teddy plant a foot to pass without fearing his knee will give out again.

Curious, several references to this hate for Sam on social media.  Isn't that really a social media thing?  Think politics, think entertainment, think nightly news, it is all rampant with absurd opinions to get noticed. 

So question is, does that belong here?  Not invalidating what Zanary and Mike said, but are we dragging social media responses into our little world here?

Arguably, this type of board is social media.