Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So we tinker with the line today...
But still keep the obvious weak links with the 1st team. I honestly don't know what the hell a professional football coach gets paid for anymore if they can't see the obvious lack of production from Boone, and Remmers. Sick of the games being played to cover their asses or their bosses ass because of stupid economics. Even to the untrained eye you can see that Elflein and Easton have chemistry and are the future of the left side. Have they tried Reiff at Right Tackle yet? You know... that position where he has played for the last year or so...Time to maybe think outside of their preconceived box coach.

ZImmer and company are starting to take on the same stubborn "we know best KAO" nonsense from the Chilli regime. Pull your head out Mike. You're quickly becoming a dino before our very eyes. Next thing you know, ZIm will have a beer barrel around his waist and will be coaching DB's for the Bearcats. 

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/3-Observations-Vikings-Use-Pair-of-1st-Team-O-Line-Combos/3d2d5020-075b-4522-bbaf-de7bfc32cc77?sf110118132=1

We started practice with the same 5 from Sunday and then switched out Berger and moved Easton to his RG spot and Elflein at Center.  Have been doing this all preseason.  I don't see anything that drastic that has changed.  Berger is a nice veteran utility OL that might start at RG this year until the Elf/Easton gets going.  

I expect that 5 of Reiff, Boone, Elf, Easton and Remmers to be the main starting 5 pretty early in the season.  

I saw a lot better pass pockets for Sam the last few games and run push.  Sure we had the 3 sacks but it is going to take time for the line to gel.  Remmers and Morgan (TE) missed communicated on two sacks as to who was supposed to pick up whom.  Very correctable.

I see some positives so far this preseason with the line.  Reiff played well in his first action.  Nice to be getting Hill all this experience.  Boone played well Sunday but I agree he is probably only a Viking this year we designed a good contract that we can get out of after this year. 

Quote: @minny65 said:
We started practice with the same 5 from Sunday and then switched out Berger and moved Easton to his RG spot and Elflein at Center.  Have been doing this all preseason.  I don't see anything that drastic that has changed.  Berger is a nice veteran utility OL that might start at RG this year until the Elf/Easton gets going.  

I expect that 5 of Reiff, Boone, Elf, Easton and Remmers to be the main starting 5 pretty early in the season.  

I saw a lot better pass pockets for Sam the last few games and run push.  Sure we had the 3 sacks but it is going to take time for the line to gel.  Remmers and Morgan (TE) missed communicated on two sacks as to who was supposed to pick up whom.  Very correctable.

I see some positives so far this preseason with the line.  Reiff played well in his first action.  Nice to be getting Hill all this experience.  Boone played well Sunday but I agree he is probably only a Viking this year we designed a good contract that we can get out of after this year. 
I have no problem with Berger for this year. The problem is Boone and Remmers, and Reiff playing out of position. I don't know what games you've been watching, but the only game that looked like we were starting to get it, was the Seattle game, when we had Hill, Easton and Elflein from LT to Center, with Berger at RG, and Remmers was just ok at RT. Reiff would be a much better option over there. 

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
@minny65 said:

I have no problem with Berger for this year. The problem is Boone and Remmers, and Reiff playing out of position. I don't know what games you've been watching, but the only game that looked like we were starting to get it, was the Seattle game, when we had Hill, Easton and Elflein from LT to Center, with Berger at RG, and Remmers was just ok at RT. Reiff would be a much better option over there. 
I watch every game usually several times.  Reiff and Boone played well for about the 1Q they were in.  The very first snap with Hill and Easton on the left both whiffed on their blocks with a couple more to follow.  Sam was able to avoid the sack and threw that illegal shovel to Murray.  Easton did not play well at LG at all but he was better  vs Seattle.  

Reiff at LT is not out of position.  The only reason the Lions moved Reiff to RT last year because they drafted Decker with a high first rounder.  Reiff graded out better at LT then he did at RT.  He is a LT that can play RT in a pinch.  He is not out of position.  The Vikings having played against him twice a year for all those years know his strengths and paid him as a LT.  

So we disagree on Boone and Reiff being out of position.  

After just re watching the OL play again I have to think Elflein is edging to start at Center with Berger at RG and Easton as a backup at those positions.  

Thursday's finally will give us plenty of looks at guys like Elf, Easton, Sirles, Hill etc...   

Quote: @minny65 said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@minny65 said:

I watch every game usually several times.  Reiff and Boone played well for about the 1Q they were in.  The very first snap with Hill and Easton on the left both whiffed on their blocks with a couple more to follow.  Sam was able to avoid the sack and threw that illegal shovel to Murray.  Easton did not play well at LG at all but he was better  vs Seattle.  

Reiff at LT is not out of position.  The only reason the Lions moved Reiff to RT last year because they drafted Decker with a high first rounder.  Reiff graded out better at LT then he did at RT.  He is a LT that can play RT in a pinch.  He is not out of position.  The Vikings having played against him twice a year for all those years know his strengths and paid him as a LT.  

So we disagree on Boone and Reiff being out of position.  

After just re watching the OL play again I have to think Elflein is edging to start at Center with Berger at RG and Easton as a backup at those positions.  

Thursday's finally will give us plenty of looks at guys like Elf, Easton, Sirles, Hill etc...   
The Lions went and got Decker for a reason.  In 2015 Reiff gave up 6 sacks, 7 QB hits and 38 QB pressures. I don't know how or what stats prove that he graded out better at LT than on the Right side. According to most observers, Reiff had some physical problems last year, and noticeably dropped off after game 6, and missed 2 1/2 games (8-10) coming back but clearly not at full strength.

Obviously, the Vikings came forward with LT money at a time when the market was severely lacking in available FA talent, and we simply couldn't stand pat. Reiff has short arms for a LT and has to play perfect technique or he gets eaten up by speed... He's aggressive, sometimes too aggressive, but should be better run blocking.  

There won't be any tinkering: Remmers and Boone will be starters. This offensive line is putrid. I worried about it all offseason and thru the FA signings....and now you see the results. Garbage. Fans bitch about Bradford throwing short....really? He's gotten sacked and hurried a ton ALREADY in the preseason. And the defense is what exactly? Not sure. Unmotivated? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe its just preseason tomfoolery. 

Big game under the bright lights on MNF against at least a decent opponent in New Orleans. We'll find out then, I guess. 

Quote: The Lions went and got Decker for a reason. 
Yes, and that was to play right tackle. The consensus belief among scouts was that Decker would be a right tackle in the NFL. Lions felt OK with Reiff at LT, but had three different starters on the right in 2015. That's what Decker was drafted to fix. It wasn't until offseason workouts that the Lions saw some things in Decker that made them believe he could maybe stay on the left. 

I don’t see this as a big deal.  I also don’t see this as Easton getting a
shot at Berger’s position.  What I see is
Berger being the guy on our OLine who we know the most about.  We are highly certain what we are going to
get out of him.  Reiff and Boone have
been injured and you want to get them the most amount of practice, Reiff for
his own benefit and Boone to see if he’s got it.  Easton, you want to see him as the swing
lineman (and he hasn’t really tried RG), but maybe he takes Boone’s spot if he
continues to show well.  I think Easton
has a very solid shot at LG in the near future, you can always just say that
Boone’s injury is hampering him, which it appears to be.

I think Remmers is the only one that’s getting by without
much pressure.  I’m not sure if they are
trying to keep Hill consistently on the left side in case Reiff is injured
worse than is let on or what.

Quote: @medaille said:
Berger being the guy on our OLine who we know the most about.  We are highly certain what we are going to
his own benefit and Boone to see if he’s got it.  Easton, you want to see him as the swing

IMO Easton is getting worked in as the swing guy.  And with Berger being the old guy with concussion issues, it makes sense to have Easton up to speed at RG.  Maybe Isadora isn't ready, maybe it is a game day numbers issue.  Easton can man 3 spots with Hill and Sirles covering tackle and possibly guard. 

Our line will be better, but it may take a bit of time for them to gel. 

Quote: @greediron said:
@medaille said:

IMO Easton is getting worked in as the swing guy.  And with Berger being the old guy with concussion issues, it makes sense to have Easton up to speed at RG.  Maybe Isadora isn't ready, maybe it is a game day numbers issue.  Easton can man 3 spots with Hill and Sirles covering tackle and possibly guard. 

Our line will be better, but it may take a bit of time for them to gel. 
Agree, same way I see things.  Elflein, to me at least, pulled ahead of Easton at Center after last week.  Easton will be a young Berger as a valuable young interior swing.  Easton did not play well last week.  Hill didn't either.  I think many posters are seeing what they want to see.  Boone was average last year on a unit/line decimated and he was able to be average.  He is capable of above average with some better players around (or at minimum the same players) next to him.  Lines work in sync as a unit and need a lot of time to gel.  It has become vogue to not only want Boone replaced but some want him cut - overreact much.  I think fans need to re-watch games and concentrate on the OL.  Boone played well last week.  

I have re-watched all the preseason games and their is no doubt in my mind that I have seen much cleaner pockets for Sam this preseason then I saw all of last year and the year before with Teddy (his protection was almost as bad as Sam's last year).

I see improvement but I also expect it to take time.  Most of us said and noted that it will take many games into the season for the line to gel and I stick by that.  I think we can be an average OL before midseason.  Their will be communication problems and breakdowns (like the 2 sacks with remmers and morgan not communicating properly).