Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reason For Worry…. Reason For Hope
Quote: @96POPS said:

This part is the part that has me riled up. Zimmer and his staff assured some players and encouraged them to just do their jobs and not worry about numbers or stats. Now that they've done that they are no longer starting.
Yes it pissed me off. But I'm just another fan so it matters to no one.
Oh well, there I went again. On my soapbox. Sorry everyone but I just had to vent a little.
I'll stop it.
Well, that sucks, no other way to put it. Very bad for the individuals affected, but could mean overall trouble for team attitude. I'm sure many of us have worked places where a new manager or executive comes in, gets people fired up, changes everything, and makes a lot of promises - but a while down the road, the promises are not coming true for either individuals or the organization. Bad scene.

I'm sure you can't say much more, but I have to wonder who these assignment-over-stats promises have impacted, aside from a certain outstanding DE? Possibly Shamar Stephen, Terence Newman, Captain Munnerlyn - I can't think of any other defensive players who have lost starting positions.

I believe you POPS. I am a huge BROB fan. We have a ton of good players, but if we are transitioning to our younger players (who are getting paid) and they are just trying to do too much, it could really be affecting the team. We need to get things figured out, especially along the O.

All I can say is quit forcing guys to play because of their salary (Boone & Remmers) and let the better players play (Easton & Hill). Our best OL combo right now could very well be (Reiff, Easton, Elflein, Berger, Hill) but its not getting a chance.

Quote: @IDVikingfan said:
Tom, not to nitpick, but Treadwell had 3 catches for 36 yards.  Also, Treadwell has the starter throwing passes while Coley and Adams have the more aggressive 2nd and 3rd string QB's throwing passes. 
That's fair.   I would just like to see him run a pattern with some dazzle to it.  I expected more from him.  

Quote: @1VikesFan said:
@Mike Olson said:
It might be time we stop putting Barr on a list of stars for our team. 
I've been thinking the same thing Mike.  It's been awhile since he's looked like a good player, I think he's truly overrated.
He's capable, but he doesn't look excited to play and almost never has enthusiasm.  He's a quite guy of the field, but he was more vocal in his rookie year

Craps me up anyone would want Adams or Coley ahead of Treadwell.  Why?  Cause they flash playing against 3rd stringers?  

Treadwell was tearing up camp until his hammy.

I would suggest we wait until actual games (i.e. not preseason) with apples to apples comparison.

The overreaction to preseason is awesome Wink

There is more to who plays than what we see in a preseason game.  The coaches have different goals for these games than fans do.

You often see teams that do great in preseason but not diddly in regular season and vice a versa.

There is a reason for that....

Quote: @twgerber said:

There is more to who plays than what we see in a preseason game.  The coaches have different goals for these games than fans do.

You often see teams that do great in preseason but not diddly in regular season and vice a versa.

True that we are overreacting. OTOH, fans pay to see these games and so there should be more effort to put decent play and solid effort in the games. I know a lot of coaches are angling to have the number of PS games reduced, and wonder if Zimmer is among them and intentionally treating them as nothing but practices.

IMO, a team coming off the Vikings' dreadful season-end should be acting like they have a lot to prove. Maybe the coaches and players disagree.

Just because the NFL sells tickets for crazy prices doesn't mean the coaches are going to treat them anything close to regular season.  Preseason is for working on new concepts, new schemes, etc.   By it's nature it will be somewhat practice like.

Quote: @96POPS said:
I'm not worried yet. I know that, especially on defense, we are run a straight up scheme and doing very little of what we will be doing in the regular season. He'll, we are probably even running plays that we won t be running in the regular season.

Brian is one he'll of a smart football player, always knew he was but when these coaches came in, they saw it and taught him even more 
Until the past couple of years I had no idea how smart he really was and listening to him about some of the stuff he is doing just blows me away.
First paragraph, that is why I am not too worried.  Difference between rookie coach and one that has the system in place.

Always could tell Brian was smart, love his team game.  It sucks not reaping all the rewards and getting pushed out of a starting spot, but his way of playing is why I love watching him.  And it would be awesome to watch a game with you and what you have learned from him.  I hope he remains impactful on the field this year.

Craps me up anyone would want Adams or Coley ahead of Treadwell.  Why?  Cause they flash playing against 3rd stringers?  

Treadwell was tearing up camp until his hammy.

I would suggest we wait until actual games (i.e. not preseason) with apples to apples comparison.

No offense to your take.  We were in camp and watching the WRs.  Treadwell was NOT tearing it up, he just was more involved than last year.   Coley is the better of the 3, and Adams has Patterson-like wiggle.  He's not as good as Patterson, but he is good for 10-12 plays a game.  More than Wright and maybe more than Treadwell.  And we all want Treadwell to prove us wrong.  He's got prototypical size.

Just because the NFL sells tickets for crazy prices doesn't mean the coaches are going to treat them anything close to regular season.  Preseason is for working on new concepts, new schemes, etc.   By it's nature it will be somewhat practice like.
Yes, but it is common NFL knowledge that game 3 is a dress rehearsal.  I guarantee you that Zimmer did not say, "Okay defense, let's shit our pants out there in front of our fans and national TV, cuz its only a preseason game.  And offense, do nothing". It is not life and death, but the 3rd preseason game is key.  Whoever is in front at the half is a good gauge, as those are the opening day starters.  Our team looked like it was the first preseason game.  

Playing hard and executing is different that putting in exotic scheme to win.