Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reason For Worry…. Reason For Hope
Bradford is seeing ghosts...  too quick to hit the checkdown and refuses to throw past the sticks until we need some big plays.  After the first two series, look at the plays when he had a clean pocket...  5 yard pass to Thielen or a 3 yard pass to Diggs...  Wash, rinse, repeat.

For as good as Bradford is as a deep passer, he sure doesn't take many shots down field.  He seems too content to dump short passes and rarely attacks the intermediate part of the field.

This offense was pathetic and you can blame the offensive line for some of the early sacks, but Bradford made plenty of mistakes.  The first two plays of the game were ALL on him.  He should have never let Dalvin get obliterated for a 5 yard loss and then he got careless with the ball on a play action pass. 

No TDs by our starters in preseason is EMBARRASSING.

49ers overloaded Remmers' side a few times. These are looks teams don't typically show in the preseason. I get the feeling that Kyle Shanahan, as a new coach, wanted to put it all out there for the national TV audience. A 2-14 team last year, they don't have anything to lose. I still think we'll see a totally different team week one...

But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned. The truly alarming thing is that the Vikings' defense--a unit who legitimately should be among the league's best--has been playing mostly crappy football now since week 5 of last season. Its biggest stars (Rhodes, Harry, Linval, Griffen, Barr) all making mental errors and underachieving. 

It might be time we stop putting Barr on a list of stars for our team. 

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
I've been thinking the same thing Mike.  It's been awhile since he's looked like a good player, I think he's truly overrated.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
49ers overloaded Remmers' side a few times. These are looks teams don't typically show in the preseason. I get the feeling that Kyle Shanahan, as a new coach, wanted to put it all out there for the national TV audience. A 2-14 team last year, they don't have anything to lose. I still think we'll see a totally different team week one...

But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned. The truly alarming thing is that the Vikings' defense--a unit who legitimately should be among the league's best--has been playing mostly crappy football now since week 5 of last season. Its biggest stars (Rhodes, Harry, Linval, Griffen, Barr) all making mental errors and underachieving. 
my thoughts exactly,  we were as bland as could be with no game planning likely,  and the niners looked like they were prepared for the playoffs.  no excuses for missed tackles and some other shit,  but the looks and preparation wasnt consistent with pre season IMO.

Quote: @Tom Moore said:

The Blah - I have no idea why LaQuon Treadwell is running ahead of Rodney Adams and Stacey Coley.

This is why Tom.

In all seriousness, if Treadwell was drafted in any other round last year, he would be cut.

I would honestly take both Adams and Coley over him if there was only room for 2 of the 3 on the team this year.

Quote: @SFVikingFan said:
@Tom Moore said:

The Blah - I have no idea why LaQuon Treadwell is running ahead of Rodney Adams and Stacey Coley.

This is why Tom.

In all seriousness, if Treadwell was drafted in any other round last year, he would be cut.

I would honestly take both Adams and Coley over him if there was only room for 2 of the 3 on the team this year.
lets see how those guys look when there are professional corners covering them instead of guys that will be sacking groceries this time next week.  Treadwell has been underwhelming,  but he sounds as though he is turning a corner and his size and ability is much greater than the other two if he comes around.

as far as getting cut if he wasnt drafted as high.... yep,  but there is a reason he was drafted as high as he was and most seem to keep forgetting that.

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
Or it might be time to just admit that Anthony Barr might not be suited to a 4-3, unless you want to turn him into a 4-3 DE, ala Chris Doleman, and we have no vacancies.

I've always sorta felt that his best role would be as a 3-4 OLB. Be foolish to do anything now, but if he doesn't turn things around by the trade deadline (10/31), might want to look at what you could get for him. As much as he's underachieved lately, the guy is bursting with raw talent. And as a 25-year old, two-time pro bowler on his first contract, he would draw quite a bit in trade. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:

Yes, I think the objective of the coaches were quite different.  I am concerned by the lack of fire by the starting offense.  And the poor coverage by the defense.

But as mentioned, lack of film study left the D vulnerable to the exotic plays by Shanahan.  (funny tho, his team gave up a huge lead late in the game, wonder how that is for his psyche?)

The one pass where Rhodes was burned, I think he bit on the reverse.  Seems like some film study of the actual opponent may help our D.  And some humble pie may help as well. 

I'm not worried yet. I know that, especially on defense, we are run a straight up scheme and doing very little of what we will be doing in the regular season. He'll, we are probably even running plays that we won t be running in the regular season.

I know some people will laugh at what I am about to say, but I'm being honest.
Without Brian on the field they have no one who knows how to read and adjust players and/or change plays like he does. He has only played in 1 quarter of 1 PS game.  That has usually been only on passing downs.
I also question the fact that he has been replaced as a starter. Me bringing that up may or may not have a thing to do with anything but I still believe that Brian was/is better against the run. I saw nothing wrong with the what we did last year and the year before. I have nothing against Hunter, in fact I really like the kid. He still looks up to Brian and he still looks to him for guidance advise and how to s. However, one thing that does make a difference is, does he pay attention to the #1 priority (the run) or does he just pass rush? Is he told to just pass rush or is he told to honor and read first before rushing? I know the answer but I won't say. I do know that Brian is the leader of that D and I do know how much he does on the field when he's there. Those coaches depend on Brian to be a coach on the field. He's given free rein to change and adjust players to put them in the right positions to make plays.
Brian is one he'll of a smart football player, always knew he was but when these coaches came in, they saw it and taught him even more 
Until the past couple of years I had no idea how smart he really was and listening to him about some of the stuff he is doing just blows me away.
Having said all that, many may not believe me and I may be proven wrong too. We'll just have to see, but those are my reasons for not showing too much concern for these PS games.
Another thing, and I'm not really looking to see if it's happening but sometimes when guys get paid, as we've had a few guys get paid, they try to do too much and prove that they deserved to get paid. Rather than realizing they got paid because of what other players did for them to get paid. Another words they may push to make a play (i.e. come off blocks too soon, or shoot a gap or maybe lose their gap integrity while rushing or playing run) instead of everyone doing their jobs and letting the play come to them.

This part is the part that has me riled up. Zimmer and his staff assured some players and encouraged them to just do their jobs and not worry about numbers or stats. Now that they've done that they are no longer starting.
Yes it pissed me off. But I'm just another fan so it matters to no one.
Oh well, there I went again. On my soapbox. Sorry everyone but I just had to vent a little.
I'll stop it.