Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reason For Worry…. Reason For Hope
The Viking can't avoid the fan's talk of concern.   The third preseason game is the true "dress rehearsal" for the regular season, and the Vikings 1st teamers failed that test miserably last night versus the 49ers.

Sure, the team won, when half the players playing in the 4th quarter are those who will be selling insurance next week.   However, may of the problems that were evident last season are still here.

THE BAD
Offense:
Stefon Diggs had an unexpected case of the dropsies.   He was open, deeper on the field and the ball was placed perfectly.  He WILL catch those in the season.   The run game looked weak again, even with a more dynamic (at this stage of his career) RB in Dalvin Cook.   The offensive line still looks like a work in progress.  While Remmers and Reiff are improvements over last year's starters, they are not much better.   Reiff gets a bit of a pass, because this was his first action since week one of camp.  But, both were soundly beaten at times.  Easton looks decent, but is really a backup.  When 35 year old journeyman Joe Berger is counted on to start, that is a bad sign.  Boone still looks more talk than action on the field.  TJ Clemmings ( a very smart individual) remains completely outclassed and should be cut.  Willie Beavers seems a wasted pick - he is often out of position and looks lost.  Not bad, but it seems Jarius Wright's days are over.   He is decent, but the salary is simply too high for a bit player.   Please cut Moritz Bohringer - he is a waste of a roster spot.  He has improved very little and is quickly passed by rookies.

Defense:   I am hoping the result of last night's SF 49er offense continually carving our defense up was due to a bland scheme.  Even so, there was simply no pass rush at all, and the only guy who looked like he was ready to play on the 1st unit was Eric Kendricks.   Our pass defense was horrid, and our big-dollar CB Rhodes was out of place often, and Trae Waynes was alarmingly slow and out of position too.  That won't get it done, especially when they made Brian Hoyer look like an all-pro.   Anthony Barr just does not seem to be a factor at all.  Some worry about rookie Ben Gideon starting, but it is only 20-25 snaps a game, and he has looked good much of camp.  It is a tough spot for a rookie, but not that impactful when he will play 30% of the game.

Special Teams:
Rodney Adams and Jerrick McKinnon looked sharp on the return game.  Kicking game was uneven and the punters looked equally average.

The Coaching:
This team was not ready to play on Sunday Night Football, and put on an embarrassing 1st half for fans who paid over $100 per ticket to see them perform.  Sure, the team won, but Mike Zimmer is likely to be quite loud in displaying his displeasure in his team's fire and enthusiasm to play.  Could Zimmer not calling defensive alignments and plays be the reason the defense looked so bad last night?  Or was it just a bland game plan?

THE GOOD
Offense -  Pat Elflein looks solid and is likely your starting center, if not in game 1, then by game 5.   Danny Isadora "gets it" and will start soon too.  Both Rodney Adams and Stacy Coley look worthy of making this squad.    Both backup Qbs moved the ball, but even though he won the game Taylor Heinicke's passes floated at the end of their trajectory (especially when he passed off his back foot) and will often get picked in a regular season game when 1st teamers are playing against him.  That said, both moved the ball and showed some playing ability, and that is about as much as you can hope for in a backup in the NFL these days. Both will get lots of reps on Thursday.   Bucky Hodges also was of note, and is a big target who can get open.

Defense - Eric Kendricks always plays like the house is on fire - in a good way.  We saw much more intensity with the 2nd and 3rd units, with Jaleel Johnson, Jayron Kearse and few others sticking out.

The Blah - I have no idea why LaQuon Treadwell is running ahead of Rodney Adams and Stacey Coley.  Yes, he caught one last night, but it was a simple zone route.   He shows lost no flash.  The others can move the chains better.     Sam Bradford looked okay, and the Diggs drops did not help his yardage stats (he would have been 19 of 21 for 180+ yards had he caught them), but nothing spectacular.

If the Vikings team that played last night, shows up for the regular season, this is a 5-11 or 6-10 team.  There is way too much work to still be done with just 10 days till opening night vs New Orleans.  As is, Drew Brees will have a field day with this team.   Zimmer has these 10 days to ensure that does not happen.

My GUT CALL?   This is an 8-8 team.  With some good futune and improvement in the line and run game, this Viking squad is 10-6.  With injuries or performances like Sunday night by the starters and it could be a long year.   Glad opening day in not tomorrow!

I agree, and now you understand the lack of excitement around here.  This is an average team at best on both sides of the ball.  Zimmer may have been anointed as the next "Bud Grant" a little too early.  I'm not impressed at all with Sherman's offense, or Zimmer's D.  Looks a lot like the post bye week Vikings from last season.

Tom, not to nitpick, but Treadwell had 3 catches for 36 yards.  Also, Treadwell has the starter throwing passes while Coley and Adams have the more aggressive 2nd and 3rd string QB's throwing passes. 

There's a lot to be concerned about but I still maintain preseason is when they're trying to work the kinks out and shouldn't reflect their style at all. The tackling and dropsies aside, I'm still no too worried. For all we know, they could be trying out schemes they'll never use in the regular season.

But knowing this team, we'll be 8-8...

Good summary, but my own disagreement would be with your assessment of Mike Remmers as an "improvement over last year's starters". Hard to be sure I remember all the guys who played RT last season, but thus far Remmers has been worse than Andre Smith (who was unimpressive but adequate) as well as Jeremiah Sirles (even though Sirles was thrown into RT after playing G earlier); I think Remmers is playing worse than TJ Clemmings was at the end of 2015. I didn't appreciate Phil Loadholt nearly enough, obviously.

Remmers was a panic-driven bad FA signing. Between he and Boone, the Vikings have proven they are no better at finding OL through free agency than they are through the draft. Reiff didn't look good and will be excused due to his minimal practice time, but why should we believe that the Vikings got it right with him??

Quote: @HappyViking said:
 I'm not impressed at all with Sherman's offense

Atlanta would beg to differ ... (and Savannah as well).

My biggest issue (yes I know it's preseason) the fact that the entire 1st team seemed to play with complete indifference.  I don't know if I've ever seen them more flat on both sides of the ball since Zimmer took over, ridiculous actually.

They are going to absolutely hammered by the Saints if they don't figure this thing out in the next two weeks.

It's sad that the first half was piss poor. You wait for football and then they are flat. The OL is our Achilles heel. I hope they get it sorted out. The run defense and the soft spots in the middle suck. It was cool to see McKinnon have 108 yard return and Heinicke have some success. Floyd made some good catches. I look forward to seeing more of Adams and Coley. Kendrick did a great job being relentless to get the sack. Nice to see Treadwell make plays. Hopefully we don't make Cutler look all world.

I'd love to hear Guru's opinion on if this team is still behind Zim and if they have ANY faith in Bradford as their QB. Something has happened to this team since the bye last year and I am very curious to know what it is. My wife spent a ton of money on tickets for our anniversary (2nd row, 50 yard line, behind the Vike's bench) for the Rams game in Nov. Yet I just don't feel that excited. I felt more faith in Ponder and TJack than I do Sleeves. Yeah the guy has an arm, but he uses it to check down. He can't climb the pocket and our OL gets his unaware ass killed. Teddy may not have had the deep ball sleeves has (during his first 2 years) but he SURE was growing as a QB and he had this team 110% behind him and he gave you hope. This team right now, and since the bye last year, is just missing that "hope" a fan needs. As so many Vikings fans have said on so many different places. There is just something missing right now, is it because of Zim, because he made this team feel special going into last year, is it all because of our OL, because a lot of teams have awful OL, it really seems that since we found out who sleeves was in purple that this heart and soul of this team has just died...

Quote: @Neptizzle said:
I'd love to hear Guru's opinion on if this team is still behind Zim and if they have ANY faith in Bradford as their QB. Something has happened to this team since the bye last year and I am very curious to know what it is. My wife spent a ton of money on tickets for our anniversary (2nd row, 50 yard line, behind the Vike's bench) for the Rams game in Nov. Yet I just don't feel that excited. I felt more faith in Ponder and TJack than I do Sleeves. Yeah the guy has an arm, but he uses it to check down. He can't climb the pocket and our OL gets his unaware ass killed. Teddy may not have had the deep ball sleeves has (during his first 2 years) but he SURE was growing as a QB and he had this team 110% behind him and he gave you hope. This team right now, and since the bye last year, is just missing that "hope" a fan needs. As so many Vikings fans have said on so many different places. There is just something missing right now, is it because of Zim, because he made this team feel special going into last year, is it all because of our OL, because a lot of teams have awful OL, it really seems that since we found out who sleeves was in purple that this heart and soul of this team has just died...
The team has seemingly had motivation problems since game 5 last year, but what is your basis for blaming it on Bradford? The team - at least the defensive unit - sure seemed to be sky-high confident during Bradford's first 4 games as a starter. Was beloved Teddy rolling his hospital bed along the sidelines keeping their morale high??

I think some people are vastly overvaluing Bridgewater's leadership abilities and the effect any QB has on the performance of other players on the team. Good NFL players aren't waiting around for their QB to tell them they have to do their jobs, or to inspire them. Anyone who has watched football more than a month or two should remember countless examples of players giving great effort on teams quarterbacked by uninspiring guys ranging from Trent Dilfer to RG3.

Anyone accusing Bradford of failing to have leadership or the respect of his teammates is also far too impressed with their own ability to know the actual attitudes of a bunch of strangers that they watch playing a game on TV.