Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good luck with another cast off
https://12thmanrising.com/2017/08/20/new...-thompson/

It seems the Seahawks can't get enough of broken down, has been, never was former Vikings.  Tyrus Thompson, from my limited memories of him he had decent talent with below average want to. 

I didn't see this earlier in the week. I thought Thompson was worth a 6th-round pick, but as you said, his desire was questionable and his technique inconsistent. Tempting to use Thompson as an example of our OL coaches lacking ability to improve any player drafted, but I see the Seahawks are now his 6th NFL team in a little over 2 years, so nobody else is able to get through to him either. 

Didn't know that @Jor-El about him being on so many different teams. Wow. 

Quote: @Jor-El said:
I didn't see this earlier in the week. I thought Thompson was worth a 6th-round pick, but as you said, his desire was questionable and his technique inconsistent. Tempting to use Thompson as an example of our OL coaches lacking ability to improve any player drafted, but I see the Seahawks are now his 6th NFL team in a little over 2 years, so nobody else is able to get through to him either. 
Can't coach desire.  Without that, all the talent in the world is useless.

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
Neither did I until I checked, because I only remembered him with the Lions at some point. He's got a few months on the Jags' PS, offseason roster time with the Lions and Saints, and Panthers' PS part of last year, all between us releasing him in September 2015 and now. I'm surprised he keeps getting chances, but he never lacked talent. I could kick Davidson, but 4 other OL coaches gave up on him, too.

One of my concerns about our OL coaching (both Davidson and Sparano) is that, as far as we fans hear, there seems little connection between our OL coaches and draft picks. Since we are almost always only drafting linemen on day 3, I would expect some or most of those guys to be "personal favorites" - if so, we should hear draft-day stories like Davidson saying, "I personally scouted Austin Sheperd/Tyrus Thompson/Jeff Baca/David Yankey/etc and met with him three times and talked to his parents yadda yadda and he's just perfect for my system..." We've heard similar "connection"stories about defensive players and receivers (Diggs had a connection with one of our coaches IIRC). But Davidson seemed to get to OTAs and say, "Huh, who are these guys Rick drafted? Guess I'll move them all to different positions, see how much that confuses them.."

Maybe Sparano is getting more involved as Elflein and Isadora seem like nice fits, but Beavers sure seemed out of place last year (though maybe that was largely MAC-to-NFL transition). Hope it's getting better..

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@Mike Olson said:
Neither did I until I checked, because I only remembered him with the Lions at some point. He's got a few months on the Jags' PS, offseason roster time with the Lions and Saints, and Panthers' PS part of last year, all between us releasing him in September 2015 and now. I'm surprised he keeps getting chances, but he never lacked talent. I could kick Davidson, but 4 other OL coaches gave up on him, too.

One of my concerns about our OL coaching (both Davidson and Sparano) is that, as far as we fans hear, there seems little connection between our OL coaches and draft picks. Since we are almost always only drafting linemen on day 3, I would expect some or most of those guys to be "personal favorites" - if so, we should hear draft-day stories like Davidson saying, "I personally scouted Austin Sheperd/Tyrus Thompson/Jeff Baca/David Yankey/etc and met with him three times and talked to his parents yadda yadda and he's just perfect for my system..." We've heard similar "connection"stories about defensive players and receivers (Diggs had a connection with one of our coaches IIRC). But Davidson seemed to get to OTAs and say, "Huh, who are these guys Rick drafted? Guess I'll move them all to different positions, see how much that confuses them.."

Maybe Sparano is getting more involved as Elflein and Isadora seem like nice fits, but Beavers sure seemed out of place last year (though maybe that was largely MAC-to-NFL transition). Hope it's getting better..
But what reporter seeks out the o-line coach and asks about a 5th round o-line?  Just not as sexy as the electric WR. 

And yes, hopefully we are seeing some positive results for a change.  Out drafting/development of O-Line has not been stellar.  (but many clubs have the same issue.)

God I wish we could have meathead back as OL coach... 

I am skeptical of Sparano. We'll see.