Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strong DT play stopped Packers before Rogers' injury...
Linval Joseph and Tom Johnson were disrupting Green Bay's offense Sunday in the opening minutes of the game before Aaron Rodgers got hurt. Here's what they did.On a day when Pat and Kevin of ‘Williams Wall’ fame were honorary captains for the Vikings, current defensive tackles Linval Joseph and Tom Johnson paid homage with their own play.
The duo’s play started the disruption of the Packers’ zone runs while Mike Zimmer kept the Vikings in the smaller, nickel personnel (five defensive backs) for all 66 snaps.
Even with Aaron Rodgers at quarterback, the Packers gained 25 yards on eight plays before his injury. Green Bay’s run was particularly ineffective against the Vikings defense as Rodgers handed off for gains of 0, 1, 1 and 5 yards.
Look no further than the play of the Vikings’ front, which defensive end Everson Griffen explains takes collective pride in “attention to detail.”
Neither Packers quarterback got help from running the ball, which gained Green Bay just two first downs and 3.0 yards per carry.

“Overall, it was a solid, fundamental defensive front,” Zimmer said.
Let’s take a look at three Rodgers handoffs and one blitz on Brett Hundley, both keys to the Vikings establishing an early lead in the 23-10 win. Here to help is Dan Hatman, a former NFL scout and Director of Scouting Development at The Scouting Academy. You can follow Dan on Twitter at @Dan_Hatman.
http://www.startribune.com/vikings-film-...451269183/

attention to detail, gap discipline, each man doing his job, it all adds up to a great defense.  But one thing that is understated, the unselfishness of all the players.

On that forth clip of Robison and Smith sharing a sack.  Notice the players.  Hunter is at RE in Griff's spot.  Tom Johnson is at 3 tech, and Robison is at LE.  But guess who is at the other DT spot?  Griff.    With Griff and Barr coming through the left side, they draw 3 blockers leaving BRob one on one with the TE who he destroys and Smith is not picked up on a delay. 

Last year I hightlighted one game, I think it was in Detroit maybe where Robison was doubled or somehow setup about 5 of the 7 sacks IIRC.  Maybe it was 2 years ago.  Anyway, that unselfish play led to a field day for other players.  I have seen Barr run a stunt to free up another blitzer.  This defense is amazing because they do the little things that help someone else make the play.

On one of the other plays highlighted in the article, Smith sets the edge.  He doesn't just fly up and try to make a spectacular tackle, he sets the edge and forces the RB back inside.  Several times I have noticed patience by the viking defenders, Smith in particular, when taking on an elusive RB in the open.  Rather than going 1-on-1 and possibly missing, they wait for a second defender, maybe giving up a yard or 2 but not giving up the big play. 

So much fun watching and then rewatching this D.

"Rather than going 1-on-1 and possibly missing, they wait for a second defender, maybe giving up a yard or 2 but not giving up the big play. "
I saw this Sunday from one of the backers (I think it might have been Barr).  He froze in front of the running back and waited for the back to make the first move or help to arrive.  When the running back made his move, a second had passed and help arrived so he was tackled by our line backer and a couple of other Vikings.
Like you said, an extra yard or two was given up but I think it set up a third down situation which is so key to the defense getting off the field rather than a missed tackle and a first down.

Yep.  It comes from a confidence in the scheme, in the entire defense.  Rather than going for splash, they limit the offense, force long 3rd downs and get off the field.