Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edmond Robinson looks to be the favorite to replace Chad Greenway
Anthony Barr mentioned this offseason that it’s going to take a committee to replace one of the locker room’s most consistent voices over the last decade. He’s right. No one can replace Greenway’s voice, not this early. But his snaps don’t evaporate and while it’s risky to read too much into anything that happens in the preseason, if Thursday night gave us any indication of anything it’s that Edmond Robinson is going to get some run for this football team.
No one mistook Robinson for Lawrence Taylor in Thursday night’s preseason opener. The Newberry College product finished tied for third on the team with four tackles. But he was running with the “1s” in the first quarter. He was playing with the late-round picks and undrafted free agents in the fourth quarter. The Vikings coaches were taking a good long look at him and that bodes well for his chances to come away with the starting WLB position...
http://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/...-greenway/

Ha, not exactly a ringing endorsement but he's physically filling the space of an OLB, so......that's good?  :#

He made an impressive leaping pass deflection against Buffalo.  High hopes for this kid, he's not your typical 7th round pick.

Watching Lamur against 2nd and 3rd stringers didn't inspire...I'd give it to Robinson almost by default...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Watching Lamur against 2nd and 3rd stringers didn't inspire...I'd give it to Robinson almost by default...
I wouldnt be surprised to see Lamur cut coming out of camp.  He really needed to make that job his and even challenge Greenway last year,  but he really hasnt done much outside of some special teams moments.  these younger cheaper guys make more sense in terms of bang for the buck and long term production from the position.  we could likely save about 2 million or so by cutting him vs keeping one of the rookies or even just running thin at LB to keep a player at another position of strength (DE) and then putting our developmental LBs on the PS in case we need to pull one up during the season due to injury.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
I wouldnt be surprised to see Lamur cut coming out of camp.  He really needed to make that job his and even challenge Greenway last year,  but he really hasnt done much outside of some special teams moments.  these younger cheaper guys make more sense in terms of bang for the buck and long term production from the position.  we could likely save about 2 million or so by cutting him vs keeping one of the rookies or even just running thin at LB to keep a player at another position of strength (DE) and then putting our developmental LBs on the PS in case we need to pull one up during the season due to injury.
I like that thought: cut Lamur and keep 5 LBs - it really is like 2.5 starters, after all. But that means 3 young vets (Barr, Kendricks, Robinson) backed up by 2 rookies (Gedeon and Lee/Wilson), and I think Zimmer is unwilling to have no veteran backup in the unit.

Lamur has more experience in Zimmer's system than any other LB on the team...And yet he's done nothing with that...gotta be some production to warrant a roster spot other than time served...