Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jared Goff...a tough out
Jared Goff does not suck this season.  What we ran up against on Sunday:

Season to date (6 games) Goff is tops in Rating (111.5)  Sam Darnold is #7 at 104
He is #19 in sacks (13)  Sam Darnold is #6 at 18
He is tied #20 in INTs (4)  Sam Darnold has 5
He is #8 in TD passes (10)  Sam Darnold is #3 with 12
He is #3 in avg yards/game (268.3)  Sam Darnold avg 228.
He is #1 for avg yards/attempt (9.3)  Sam Darnold tied for #5 at 8.4
He is #7 for total yards/season (1,610)  Sam Darnold is #17 at 1,370
He is #2 in completion percentage (73.6%)  Sam Darnold is #13 at 66.5%

There's a reason the Lions are a tough out this season.  But honestly, I'd rather have Darnold and the current offense than Cousins who always seems to put up big yardage numbers, (this year no different) while too often playing from behind.   

I know very few would admit to expecting Darnold to be Top 10 QB in the league at this point.  I certainly did not expect it.

If the season were to end tonight, Goff would have to be in consideration for league MVP. The numbers he has been putting up are historical.
[-] The following 2 users Like NorseFeathers's post:

That franchise has done a good job with coaching, system and a quality surround for Goff. Ben Johnson is one of the best in the league right now. 

Hard for me to hate the Lions, just a bit envious.

For us? I'm hoping we have a great rest of year and I am looking to the future with optimism too. I think the arrow is pointing up for the Vikings.

(10-21-2024, 02:58 PM)Montana Tom Wrote: Jared Goff does not suck this season.  

I have a feeling Jared Goff didn't even suck when he was traded away from the Rams. It was just a little impatience. Even a coach like McVay isn't infallible. Not sure if the Rams would have a Super Bowl, but their long-term outlook might be brighter with 30yo Goff than 36yo Stafford. 

And check out Mayfield...and Darnold. And what about Anthony Richardson? He's horrible. What about CJ Stroud. He was the QB messiah last year. Threw for 86 yards against the Packers. 86 freaking yards! 

Is the NFL learning a lesson this year? If so, what is it? Patience? Supporting cast?
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

(10-21-2024, 07:12 PM)MaroonBells Wrote: I have a feeling Jared Goff didn't even suck when he was traded away from the Rams. It was just a little impatience. Even a coach like McVay isn't infallible. Not sure if the Rams would have a Super Bowl, but their long-term outlook might be brighter with 30yo Goff than 36yo Stafford. 

And check out Mayfield...and Darnold. And what about Anthony Richardson? He's horrible. What about CJ Stroud. He was the QB messiah last year. Threw for 86 yards against the Packers. 86 freaking yards! 

Is the NFL learning a lesson this year? If so, what is it? Patience? Supporting cast?

I dont think the NFL is smart enough to learn a lesson - ok most franchises aren't. 

And the answer to your question is YES. It's patience and supporting cast (especially a younger qb). I will have to remind myself of this cheering on JJM next year

Goff & the kitties play 14 games under a dome this season. They don't play outdoors until December when they have road games in Chicago & GB. In Week 17, they play in SF.

(10-21-2024, 07:12 PM)MaroonBells Wrote: I have a feeling Jared Goff didn't even suck when he was traded away from the Rams. It was just a little impatience. Even a coach like McVay isn't infallible. Not sure if the Rams would have a Super Bowl, but their long-term outlook might be brighter with 30yo Goff than 36yo Stafford. 

(10-22-2024, 08:36 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: I dont think the NFL is smart enough to learn a lesson - ok most franchises aren't. 

And the answer to your question is YES. It's patience and supporting cast (especially a younger qb). I will have to remind myself of this cheering on JJM next year

There is no singular lesson.  For every “lesson” you could learn, some other team did the opposite and had success.  And for every team that had success doing something, you can also see it not working any more.  I think the Rams were in a much different situation.  They chose to go all in.  They had a very short window before they had to break the roster apart.  They won a super bowl, so their method was clearly the right one.  I don’t think we could assume that Goff was going to be the guy that got them there in the time frame that they needed him to do so.

I think the main lesson for us as fans is that the NFL is hard.  So many things have to go right all at the same time.  Everyone in the league is smart.  They will figure out what you are doing and someone will have the antidote for whatever you are doing.