Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Lions @ Vikings
Well, bloody hell...

I knew when we had to punt it away that last time...Sigh

Lions are a very good team, we couldn't close the door when we had the chance.

Really looking forward to getting a healthy TJH back, he could have been a difference maker. Not making excuses, the Lions won it on talent and grit too. 

IF you looked just at the statistics, yards, efficiency and even penalties, this game was razor close.

Doesnt make me feel better about losing...
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

(6 hours ago)purplefaithful Wrote: Well, bloody hell...

I knew when we had to punt it away that last time...Sigh

Lions are a very good team, we couldn't close the door when we had the chance.

IF you looked just at the statistics, yards, efficiency and even penalties, this game was razor close.

Doesnt make me feel better about losing...

Yes, I also knew. 50 years and you learn a lot.

(6 hours ago)FLVike Wrote: Yes, I also knew. 50 years and you learn a lot.

The two point try was very important to all us fans, I just wish KOC and Darnold felt the same.
[-] The following 1 user Likes FLVike's post:

The OL had issues in this game and the defense couldn't get home. They turned it around some in the second half but they could sustain that last drive

Win some lose some. It was a competitive game. Sucks we lost but on to the next. Detroit is the real deal. We’ll see them down the road again
[-] The following 1 user Likes mblack's post:

Great competitive game. Heavyweight title fight. This will hurt when we have to go into their house for a win.

Under the radar —-We really missed Cashman in this game, we haven’t been beaten to the outside much this year due to him being in the right spot so much.

The game was lost in the second quarter when we gave up 3 touchdowns. Too many big plays.

Positive is that we showed toughness and got back into it after being down 11 and had a good chance to win it, just couldn’t convert the 2 point or sustain the last drive.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bullazin's post:

Lots of ways to view this match-up...

Here's one:

This is probably the first game this year (for me) where I wondered if KOC might have put a healthy JJM in - and how might he have done?

Thats a tall order for a rook vs one of the top NFC teams.

Lions QB Jared Goff
Goff didn’t throw an incomplete pass until the third quarter and finished the day 22-for-25 for 280 yards and two TDs for a 140 passer rating. He has passer ratings of 140 or higher in his past three games and has competed 82% of his passes in that span. He did not turn the ball over Sunday and got 100-yard games from running back Jahmyr Gibbs and receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown.

Each scored on a big play (45-yard run for Gibbs, 35-yard catch for St. Brown) in the second quarter, when the Lions built a 21-10 halftime lead after going scoreless in the first quarter.

Though Goff was sacked four times after going down only twice against the Vikings last season, he was composed when it mattered. Needing to drive the Lions for the winning score with 2 minutes, 32 seconds left in the game, Goff exclusively got the ball to Gibbs and St. Brown as Detroit reached the Vikings 26 to set up Jake Bates’ 44-yard field goal.

Two fourth-quarter missed opportunities
The Vikings put the game in Sam Darnold’s hands twice in the final minutes in short-yardage situations and he did not convert. They ran only one red-zone play on offense, and it was their two-point conversion attempt after Ivan Pace Jr.’s fumble return for a TD gave them a one-point lead with 5:50 left. Darnold’s pass to Jordan Addison was tipped and landed incomplete.

After the Vikings defense forced a three-and-out, sacking Goff on third down for emphasis, the offense needed to sustain a drive with 4:16 left. But the Vikings went three-and-out, too. On third-and-4, Darnold overthrew Justin Jefferson and they had to punt. Given more than two minutes and needing only a field goal to win, Goff delivered.

The Vikings’ seven offensive penalties
After the Jets game in London and in the Vikings’ return from their bye week, coach Kevin O’Connell and offensive coordinator Wes Phillips expressed concern about the number of penalties the offense has incurred, particularly of the presnap variety. The situation did not improve Sunday. All but one of the Vikings’ eight penalties were on the offense, including false starts, illegal formations and offsides to go with several holding calls. It all leads to the impression of an offense out of sync.

Source: Startribune

If I have to name a goat for this game, it’s Jordon Addison. The guy just does not look good, it’s like he’s going through the motions out there.

2 pre snap penalties, ran the wrong route on a critical down Even on the long catch he fell down when catching the ball and didn’t have any reason to.

Don't really know what to say other than it was the hard fought, close, divisional game we expected. Game could have gone either way and we'll see them again down the line to hopefully return the favor. Have to turn the page fast with a short week playing the Rams on Thursday.
[-] The following 4 users Like supafreak84's post:

[-] The following 1 user Likes DeepFreeze05's post:

I'll tell you the one thing that just makes me shake my head when we play the Lions, as much success as Jefferson has against them, he is often been matched or surpassed by the success St Brown has against the Vikings every time we play. We haven't covered him since he came into the league as a rookie and you cant let him go for 12 catches for 150 every time we play. Double team his ass or do whatever you have to do to limit his impact. Make LaPorta and Jameson Williams beat you.