Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: XXL
I suppose if you have the room and budget. 

If we did in our home, I might go this route vs a projection. We dont have a single, one room to justify something this size. 

Largest screen in our house is 65"
===========================================================

One of the hottest gifts this holiday season might not fit under the tree.

It might not even fit in some houses.

And Best Buy has decided to lean into the trend.

As prices fall and options grow, more Americans are gravitating toward XXL TVs, which have screens larger than 97 inches — nearly twice the average size of TVs sold in recent years.

“Our expectations are pretty strong for the XXL TV market this holiday season; we think it will be one of the headline, door-buster items on Black Friday and throughout the season,” said Paul Gagnon, consumer technology industry adviser at market research firm Circana.

Best Buy has already doubled its selection of the supersized screens and now has at least one on display in 700 stores. The Richfield-based retailer is also promising free delivery and installation for all TVs 97 inches and larger.

“The addition of XXL TVs to our stores provides our customers with an experience they won’t find anywhere else,” Best Buy Senior Vice President Blake Hampton said in a statement. “We’re seeing growing interest from shoppers in XXL TVs, especially as the technology gets better and more options are available at a variety of prices.”

So far this year, sales of XXL TVs have jumped nearly 900% while prices have dropped in half, according to Circana. On average, an XXL screen now costs about $3,100; Best Buy has one on sale for $2,000.

Size is the No. 1 reason shoppers upgrade their TV, which happens every six years or so, Gagnon said.

Normally they’ll go up about 10 inches per upgrade, but as larger screens cost less thanks to better technology and supply-chain efficiencies, a more massive upgrade might make sense.

Best Buy is hoping the XXL TVs will help end a long stretch of stagnant sales and get more people inside stores throughout the holiday shopping season and beyond. The pandemic disrupted the normal upgrade cycle for a lot of consumer electronics — something felt well up the supply chain at 3M and other manufacturers, too.

Company leaders are optimistic the worst is behind them, especially as that upgrade cycle resumes for the millions of electronics purchased during COVID-19 lockdowns. They saw the start of that cycle with increased laptop sales during the second quarter.

Source: Startribune

[Image: CRJBYTQTKRD75JHZU3H5QRUKVY.JPG?&w=712]

Its all about sitting the proper distance away from the size of your TV for best picture quality. Too close and you see the pixels....and it will make you nauseous. Bigger isn't always better with TV screen sizes, but some people don't get that. If you have the distance to sit at the proper range for a 120+ inch screen, go for it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

It's interesting that you can now buy a 4K XXL TV for less than I paid for my first HDTV 20 years ago--a $3700 Sharp Aquos. I'm just not much of a big-TV guy. I think our biggest TV now is 50"? And we watch it only for football and the occasional movie. Much more into high-end audio for music. If it doesn't register on the Richter scale, it's not for me. :-)

I saw that story this morning and I immediately wondered how big the market is for this massive wall-sized TV?
You need a big enough wall. You need a big enough room so that you can sit far enough back to be able to see the whole thing (or it would be like sitting in the front row at the movie theatre...you gotta move your eyes all over the screen to understand the whole picture). Or is it sports bars?

The irony is that while TV's have gotten bigger, with streaming, mobile technology, you could say that simultaneously, TV's have gotten smaller.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Montana Tom's post:

I got a 77" set about 6 months ago that's been great. I could probably go up to 85" way down the road but any larger and I'd need a bigger room!

I'm surprised Apple or someone hasn't released basically a 32" iPad that can sit on charging hooks mounted to your wall, but moved about the house as needed. I assume this is coming. I think in the future it'll be this type of portable, smaller set, and then the giant ones which will most likely be projectors. Giant black squares that always sit on the wall will go away the same way the oversized, overweight behemoth bigscreen TVs of old went away.

My first TV was a Sony 12", (that's correct, 12 inches) in 1978 for $350. No remote, channel changing and volume controls were on the TV.
[-] The following 2 users Like FLVike's post:

(Yesterday, 11:50 AM)pattersaur Wrote: I'm surprised Apple or someone hasn't released basically a 32" iPad that can sit on charging hooks mounted to your wall, but moved about the house as needed. I assume this is coming. I think in the future it'll be this type of portable, smaller set, and then the giant ones which will most likely be projectors. Giant black squares that always sit on the wall will go away the same way the oversized, overweight behemoth bigscreen TVs of old went away.

This is what Steve Jobs was reportedly working on before he past.  Can only imagine where he would have continued to have taken things, we probably would have an iTV now.

I got an 85" TV a couple of years ago and I love it. I assume 97" would be even better.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dadevike's post:

(Yesterday, 12:20 PM)FLVike Wrote: My first TV was a Sony 12", (that's correct, 12 inches) in 1978 for $350. No remote, channel changing and volume controls were on the TV.

I had one too. Like Spicoli, my old man was a TV repairman. Remember TV repairmen? I did get this out of it. One exactly like this is on a shelf in my basement, more as art than entertainment. Still works though. I've seen some of these going for as much as $5K. 

[Image: the-princess_c.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like MaroonBells's post:

Very cool, art deco.

I remember TV Repairmen and I remember having just 5 channels too.
[-] The following 2 users Like purplefaithful's post: