Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cam Akers
good move depth is important.costed very little
[-] The following 2 users Like viking1987returns's post:

Unsure wht they let him go in July............

Whoever the Vikings envisioned as their #3 RB never materialized.

Shrewd smart move by Kwesi.

(10-16-2024, 02:26 AM)Mattyman Wrote: Unsure wht they let him go in July............

Yeah, they could have just signed him then. Its a smart move for quality depth, maybe they feel Jones's injury might easily resurface.

With Jones likely out this weekend, the Vikings probably wanted someone they can trust in pass protection. Chandler is a great runner, but he's not a very good pass blocker and we all know how important that is to this offense. I think Akers steps right in as our 3rd down back against Detroit.

Kind of surprised we give up picks to get Cam back. Probably a good depth move for a run down the road.
Surprised the running back room was so thin. Why do they refuse to address stuff like this in the preseason?

I agree with KOC, Akers is one tough guy coming back from injuries like that.

He's 25 years old, so far from past his prime.

If they didnt change up terminology too much, he could play some Sunday. He's gotta get in some major practice time with Darnold.

Sounds like Jones is re-habbing a right ham string...

=================================================

Running back Aaron Jones reported to Vikings headquarters every day throughout last week’s bye, putting his injured right hamstring through a litany of healing tactics in the hope of playing Sunday against the Lions.

“Lot of stretching, lot of deep tissue massage,” Jones said Wednesday. “Needles; I hate needles by the way. But I’m needling, on the table sweating. And a lot of strengthening core work, hip flexors and recovery in the cold tub, sauna — different things. Hyperbaric chamber. Just trying to find anything that works.”

But Jones’ availability remains uncertain. He didn’t practice Wednesday but said he’ll test the hamstring during Thursday’s practice. He suffered the injury during pregame warmups at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London, where he tried to play through the issue before getting pulled from the game at the end of the first quarter.

Jones’ new teammate, running back Cam Akers, feels like he never left Vikings headquarters. Akers, a 2020 second-round pick by the Rams who played six games last season for the Vikings, was reacquired this week from Houston for a late-round pick.

Akers, 25, spent a lot of time this offseason near TCO Performance Center in Eagan, where he rehabbed the second torn Achilles tendon of his career at a nearby training facility.

The Vikings attempted to re-sign Akers this summer, but he chose the Texans, who suddenly viewed him as fungible after starting running back Joe Mixon returned from injury.

Akers arrived at the Vikings facilities around 9:30 a.m. Wednesday following Tuesday night’s trade.

“Excited simply because I know the scheme,” said Akers, who caught an 8-yard touchdown pass against the Vikings in the Texans’ Sept. 22 loss at U.S. Bank Stadium. “I know the people and how they operate here. I know how they treat people. I know how they go about business. It’s a winning organization. I want to win. I want another Super Bowl, and I think it’s a great opportunity to do that here.”

Source: Startribune

(10-16-2024, 02:26 AM)Mattyman Wrote: Unsure wht they let him go in July............

The tried to re-sign him then, but he chose the Texans offer instead.

VikingzFanPage@vikingzfanpage
Before acquiring Cam Akers, the #Vikings “had dialogue” on a trade with the #Bears on RB Khalil Herbert, @DWolfsonKSTP mentioned on @SKORNorth

Minnesota “absolutely had interest” in Herbert, but Chicago wouldn’t agree with the terms Minnesota displayed.

I think before Akers signed with the Texans, he had dialogue with the Vikings, but they were apprehensive about his Achilles recovery.
Seeing the falloff from Aaron to Ty Chandler (and Gaskin), the B team does not have the same spark as Jones has. I was disappointed earlier that we didn't sign him and the Texans did, because when healthy last year, he was a better spark than Mattison. I very much approve of this signing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Montana Tom's post:

(Yesterday, 11:08 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: VikingzFanPage@vikingzfanpage
Before acquiring Cam Akers, the #Vikings “had dialogue” on a trade with the #Bears on RB Khalil Herbert, @DWolfsonKSTP mentioned on @SKORNorth

Minnesota “absolutely had interest” in Herbert, but Chicago wouldn’t agree with the terms Minnesota displayed.

That would have been a solid pick up, can't imagine the Bears would help us out unless it was some kind of fleecing and we just do not have much to trade in terms of picks.