Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's hear it for one Kevin William O'Connell
(10-03-2024, 07:22 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: Yep, he hired him. But its not like he had to work very hard at it, did O'Connell even take another interview? lol, KOC wanted to come here and the Vikings wanted him: this existed before KAM was hired. Nothing silly about it. I'm glad they got it done. You know I'm not a KAM hater, so there's no agenda here. You want to give him a home run but he was already standing on 3rd base.

https://twitter.com/Vikings/status/1841552620743282839

Purple culture: strong.

KOC interviewed with Houston as well. Whether or not KAM had to work hard at it is beside the point. There are always a pool of likely candidates. Hell, not a single leaf has fallen on my lawn yet and we already have a good half dozen head coaching candidates for 2025. Ben Johnson, the OC in Detroit, is considered the front runner. If the Jags or Panthers hire him and go 4-0 next year, would we not give their GM credit for the hire simply because he was an obvious candidate? There was a process and several interviews, and from that KAM chose O'Connell over Bowles, Morris and Harbaugh. Right now that looks like a big W.  

I don't know the details of how or why Harbaugh was nixed, but can you imagine how different this team would be right now if we had hired him to coach a team with Jefferson and Addison? I mean he's turned Justin Herbert into Mr. Handoff. Herbert has fewer passing yards than Box Nix and Will Levis. I'm sure he'll turn things around there, but no thank you.

No, unlike some, you don't have an agenda, but my goodness, I don't know why so many hesitate to give our GM credit for hiring the current odds on favorite for coach of the year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

(10-03-2024, 08:41 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: KOC interviewed with Houston as well. Whether or not KAM had to work hard at it is beside the point. There are always a pool of likely candidates. Hell, not a single leaf has fallen on my lawn yet and we already have a good half dozen head coaching candidates for 2025. Ben Johnson, the OC in Detroit, is considered the front runner. If the Jags or Panthers hire him and go 4-0 next year, would we not give their GM credit for the hire simply because he was an obvious candidate? There was a process and several interviews, and from that KAM chose O'Connell over Bowles, Morris and Harbaugh. Right now that looks like a big W.  

I don't know the details of how or why Harbaugh was nixed, but can you imagine how different this team would be right now if we had hired him to coach a team with Jefferson and Addison? I mean he's turned Justin Herbert into Mr. Handoff. Herbert has fewer passing yards than Box Nix and Will Levis. I'm sure he'll turn things around there, but no thank you.

No, unlike some, you don't have an agenda, but my goodness, I don't know why so many hesitate to give our GM credit for hiring the current odds on favorite for coach of the year.

We just look at it differently. Harbaugh is a good coach, there's little doubt about that. And I think the Chargers as a team have bought into him and his style. But yeah: he's going to run the football...at all costs. KOC was my number one choice as a fan, no one I wanted above him.

I was intrigued by Harbaugh tbh...

But KOC was the guy I wanted to go forward with post Zimmer.

Offensive minded, younger and I suspected he could help move us off a very toxic environment created by MZ/RS.

Kudos to KOC, KAM and BFlo. I was one of the people that thought hiring KOC and KAM was the way to go. Crazy that both were learning on the job but the key is they have learned and grown. Adding BFlo to the mix was the right move. KOC has learned as a play caller and works so well with qbs because of his experience and perspective. KAM is a breath of fresh air as a GM. His experience is valuable and his approach has evolved. His route was not the usual GM path but that's ok. He is incredibly smart and analytical. He had a method and plan. The communication is phenomenal. The input from BFlo in the draft was huge. The revamp of the roster has been very well done. Getting Darnold was awesome but he learned and grew as well. Having everyone on the same page and things clicking is amazing

[Image: GY-fd7DXgAAgUzV?format=jpg&name=small]

(11 hours ago)StickierBuns Wrote: [Image: GY-fd7DXgAAgUzV?format=jpg&name=small]

Thats interesting...

I wouldn't have put Dallas #1 and I would have guessed the Chiefs would be on the list somewhere. 

I guess you can call that recency effect. 

I knew Patriots and Steelers have some pretty glorious histories. 

Vikings have done well, with that one important omission. And I just ask for one b4 I'm on the wrong side of dirt.

(10-03-2024, 08:51 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: We just look at it differently. Harbaugh is a good coach, there's little doubt about that. And I think the Chargers as a team have bought into him and his style. But yeah: he's going to run the football...at all costs. KOC was my number one choice as a fan, no one I wanted above him.

wasnt there talk at the time that one of the reasons that another GM candidate moved on was that the team had narrowed their HC choices and the other GM wasnt happy about not having that role pre defined?
Why isn't Chuck Foreman in the Hall of Fame?

(10-03-2024, 04:00 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: The organization was targeting and rumored to be heavily interested in O'Connell before they ever hired KAM. In fact, some people wondered if they'd hire KOC first or KAM. Not sure I'd put this in the KAM pile, other than strictly as window dressing.

I never saw a single rumor. Can you post an article or evidence of such?
Despite all the accolades and success KOC is having, it is Flores coming through on the defensive side that is making this a special season so far.
The offense has had weapons and only needed a QB that manages games to win. They are fortunate Darnold has been a bit more than that.
Maroon saw that potential. Others said wait until next season.
KOC is great and Flores is also. The Vikings are special on both sides of the ball. Daniels is also very good.
Coaching is why I have been so high on the Vikings this year. They have the best and most innovative coaches in the league.
2025 is going to be great, but this years team is the best Vikings team I have seen in years.