Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chuck Foreman making his case for HOF
He posted his video making his case.  Dude was an all around back before that was a thing...deserves to be in the HOF
[-] The following 2 users Like badgervike's post:

While I agree that he should be in the HOF, I suspect that because of the brevity of his dominant career
He suited up for 8 seasons, but the last two were injury riddled.
He rocked top numbers (rushing and receiving) for two seasons...topping 1,700 yards in both 1975 and 76, and put up six total seasons with over 1,000 yards combined, but only in 12, 13 and 14 games. Extrapolated to a full 17 game season, those would be monstrous numbers today. In four consecutive seasons he averaged over 5 yards per touch before starting to decline in 77 and 78.

Are those HOF numbers? I'm not voting.
But if you are making the case that he was the first true all-around back, do his numbers (vs. any other RBs before him) back that up? Probably do.

Hey Badger --- you have a good time at Lamblow yesterday??

Regarding Chuck - I've always been on the fence. But over the years, I can see him (and Marshall) having valid reasons to get in via the Sr route.

(4 hours ago)purplefaithful Wrote: Hey Badger --- you have a good time at Lamblow yesterday??

Regarding Chuck - I've always been on the fence. But over the years, I can see him (and Marshall) having valid reasons to get in via the Sr route.

I had a great time at Lambeau...always do.  Hate the Packers...  Wish we wouldn't have got sloppy and conservative for a while yesterday.  We gave them hope...and that's a bad thing.  I think we could have broke them for the season.

As I said before I left, I love US Bank...I'll be there for the rematch..but Lambeau is a fun place to watch a game and party before and after. I highly recommend the experience if not just to visit the Vikings only NFL trophy proudly displayed at Lambeau.

I was helping Tom Moore on this project back when this site got rolling ( I did very little, a couple interviews of Chucks old teammates) long story short, at the time I remember talking to a fair number of older NFL fans ( many weren't Vikings fans) that I new that would have seen Chuck play and most were shocked to learn that he wasn't in the HOF, and the majority thought he should be. There were a few that brought up his short career, but when they were presented with the numbers and rankings with those in his era, as well as some that came later... most all agree, this is an injustice and one that should be righted while the man is still able to receive the recognition in person.

CF to HOF!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes JimmyinSD's post:

Go look at Gale Sayers and Chuck Foreman's statistics. They both had shortened careers due to injury.

Sayers: 6,263 total yards. 48 Touchdowns in 65 starts (zero playoff appearances)
Foreman: 9,106 total yards. 76 Touchdowns in 84 starts (5 straight playoff appearances, 3 NFC Championships, on Divisional loss and one NFC Championship loss.)

Please tell me why Sayers is in and Foreman is not? The Floyd Little comparison is even MORE SKEWED towards Foreman. It is POSITIVELY RIDICULOUS he is NOT in the HOF.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chuckf's post:

one other thing to argue for CF, with all that playoff success, he nearly played another complete season just in post season games. so was his career really that short when he played what was really about 9 years worth of games at the FB/RB position and averaged over 300 touches ( carries plus receptions ) for around half those years.

this is really a no brainer.

I just realized that my signature isnt here, must have lost it in the move, need to get that back up there again.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JimmyinSD's post:

If you could only get one, who would you choose -- Foreman or Marshall?

I honestly cannot answer that question and obviously want both in the Hall.  Foreman was "my guy" growing up.  I would take my football out after Sunday games to the parking lot and dive over snow banks and yell, "Foreman over the top -- TOUCHDOWN!"  I have met him on a few occasions and he is a class guy all the way.  The length of his career is his Achilles for the Hall -- but there certainly is a compelling case.  He really did revolutionize the position as a dual threat.

Marshall in many ways is just the opposite.  For years I said, "how could you not vote the Cal Ripken of football into the Hall of Fame".  Marshall has since been surpassed by Favre and some punter for games played, but that stat alone should have gotten him into the Hall as the iron man of modern football.  Then you add his stats and his leadership ... I think he is a no-brainer.  What is keeping him out are two things -- teammates already in the Hall (Page and Eller) and his wrong way fumble return that has been hung on his neck like an anchor.

I don’t really know that much about the HOF process, but I think that with how much the RB position is devalued these days, there’s a greater chance that some of these backs who maybe got passed by in their typical HOF window will get their chance as the newer backs struggle to really be HOF-worthy.