Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Washington Post: Darnold finally the QB other teams never let him become
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

I know this is an unpopular opinion (not my first)...but, if Darnold proves himself to be truly sync'd with the offense and the culture through a deep playoff run this season...I think extension should be on the table. We drafted JJM high, and have high hopes, but Sam's proving it in actual games.
LET'S WREAK SOME FUGGIN' HAVOK, VIKINGS!!! SKOL!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zanary's post:

(3 hours ago)Zanary Wrote: I know this is an unpopular opinion (not my first)...but, if Darnold proves himself to be truly sync'd with the offense and the culture through a deep playoff run this season...I think extension should be on the table. We drafted JJM high, and have high hopes, but Sam's proving it in actual games.

Well, as the Purple King's #1 fan, I don't like it....lol Wink But I also understand it would have to be a consideration, zero doubt about it. A deep playoff run and Sammy keeps looking really good? Yeah....would have to be some strong offseason evaluations and discussion about the go-forward strategy. As we stand now, I think 100% the plan is this is McCarthy's team next year. But sustained excellence in a real way for Darnold, and that's what it would have to be, keep moving that bar up for himself AND the team. They'd have to win a lot of games. But I don't see it happening to a level of sitting JJM another year.

(3 hours ago)StickierBuns Wrote: Well, as the Purple King's #1 fan, I don't like it....lol Wink But I also understand it would have to be a consideration, zero doubt about it. A deep playoff run and Sammy keeps looking really good? Yeah....would have to be some strong offseason evaluations and discussion about the go-forward strategy. As we stand now, I think 100% the plan is this is McCarthy's team next year. But sustained excellence in a real way for Darnold, and that's what it would have to be, keep moving that bar up for himself AND the team. They'd have to win a lot of games. But I don't see it happening to a level of sitting JJM another year.

Two problems.  We haven’t done a deep playoff run as we’ve only played two playoff games.  You destroy all the work you’ve done with the cap and basically kill your competitive window by doing so with few draft picks in the upcoming draft.  The only way it makes any sense is if you knew you had drafted a dud in McCarthy and I’m pretty sure the Vikes don’t think that is the case.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Waterboy's post:

(2 hours ago)Waterboy Wrote: Two problems.  We haven’t done a deep playoff run as we’ve only played two playoff games.  You destroy all the work you’ve done with the cap and basically kill your competitive window by doing so with few draft picks in the upcoming draft.  The only way it makes any sense is if you knew you had drafted a dud in McCarthy and I’m pretty sure the Vikes don’t think that is the case.

That's a good point and I mentioned JJM's contract being a factor in the decision as well in another thread. My guess its 95% no matter what Darnold does that JJ is the starter in 2025. I think McCarthy is the Chosen One for KOC and vice versa.

(2 hours ago)Waterboy Wrote: Two problems.  We haven’t done a deep playoff run as we’ve only played two playoff games.  You destroy all the work you’ve done with the cap and basically kill your competitive window by doing so with few draft picks in the upcoming draft.  The only way it makes any sense is if you knew you had drafted a dud in McCarthy and I’m pretty sure the Vikes don’t think that is the case.

Well, this would be AFTER a theoretical deep run, which would likely involve considerable chemistry and work with our offense and being a part of its culture.

JJM has proven nothing in an actual NFL game yet, whereas Sam is building actual results with the team in actual games. Whereas yes, I'm aware of the cap/financial implications, throwing away a proven winner for hopes and assumed potential is a risk...and he's gonna stay cheap for a few more years.
LET'S WREAK SOME FUGGIN' HAVOK, VIKINGS!!! SKOL!!!

Only 2 games in, very early.

Sure it would be a good problem to have and the chatter on this topic will only increase if Darnold slays it going forward.

I just wish we had a chance to see more of JJM in the pre-season and maybe in some games this year in some capacity.

Regardless of what Darnold does, it makes me a bit nervous turning the keys over to someone who played in a few quarters of 1 pre-season game their rook year.

I know that the NFL is a "me too" league, and you cannot argue with the past success of having Favre with Rodgers warming the bench for three years. That seemed to work out pretty well. And just like in a game of HORSE, they proved it works with Jordan Love doing a repeat behind Rodgers. And the Falcons seem to think highly of that plan by drafting Penix Jr to sit behind Cousins.

What is the worst thing that could happen? If Darnold becomes the Darnold that was predicted? ...sign Darnold to a 4 year extension at market price with two years guaranteed and JJM sitting behind him. If he becomes tradeable after a year or even two, the step down to JJM adds positional stability for a long, long time.

This is a real Cadillac problem that no doubt will cause discussion over many beers. Love it.