Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bryce Young benched
I have two Panthers fans at home (long story), so I paid a lot of attention to the QB discussions around the Panther's pick. Yes, there were a few suggestions that CJ Stroud might be a better pro. There was some late interest in Will Levis, and could he be the surprise #1 pick. But you certainly got the impression that this was just sports journalism trying to keep a story fresh. There was very little serious debate. Mostly what I heard was that Young was the "layup" pick and that if Carolina picked someone else it would have been viewed as missing a layup. Funny how all the doubters are coming out now...

(09-17-2024, 03:10 PM)PurplePorsche Wrote: I have two Panthers fans at home (long story), so I paid a lot of attention to the QB discussions around the Panther's pick.  Yes, there were a few suggestions that CJ Stroud might be a better pro.  There was some late interest in Will Levis, and could he be the surprise #1 pick.  But you certainly got the impression that this was just sports journalism trying to keep a story fresh.  There was very little serious debate.  Mostly what I heard was that Young was the "layup" pick and that if Carolina picked someone else it would have been viewed as missing a layup.  Funny how all the doubters are coming out now...

Not true. The kid is 5'9+", 190 lbs. Trust me, plenty of teams would have gone with Stroud, he was the very next selection. It wasn't like it went another 3 or 4 picks and then someone drafted Stroud. Levis was overdrafted where he went, no way he's was being considered #1. There were plenty of doubters, including me from Day 1. Carolina messed up and paid a massive price to do it. Bottom line. But their hands are a bit dirty in how they've dealt with Young.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

(09-17-2024, 02:51 PM)StickierBuns Wrote: Got a strange feeling he's going to be ok.....

$37.96 million
According to Spotrac, Young signed a four-year, $37.96 million, fully guaranteed rookie contract with the Panthers. As a first-round pick, Young's contract also includes a fifth-year option that the team could pick up (lmao).

ah hell, AD could piss away those peanuts in under a decade, thats hardly life changing money for todays crowd of young players.
[-] The following 2 users Like JimmyinSD's post:

(09-17-2024, 03:10 PM)PurplePorsche Wrote: I have two Panthers fans at home (long story), so I paid a lot of attention to the QB discussions around the Panther's pick. Yes, there were a few suggestions that CJ Stroud might be a better pro. There was some late interest in Will Levis, and could he be the surprise #1 pick. But you certainly got the impression that this was just sports journalism trying to keep a story fresh. There was very little serious debate. Mostly what I heard was that Young was the "layup" pick and that if Carolina picked someone else it would have been viewed as missing a layup. Funny how all the doubters are coming out now...

I have a hard time believing anybody that says that he should have been the #1 overall pick with his stature, that size and frame scream shit show.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JimmyinSD's post:

Spielman liked him, ‘nough said…!!!  Cool Angel

I guess where are these Stroud lovers? I type into google "2023 QB Prospect Rankings" and just started going down the list and Young is the top QB in almost every ranking.

You look at https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/pla...ryce-young

Lots of #1's on there

(09-17-2024, 08:32 PM)medaille Wrote: I guess where are these Stroud lovers?  I type into google "2023 QB Prospect Rankings" and just started going down the list and Young is the top QB in almost every ranking.

Lots of #1's on there

Not sure mock data bases from the 'media experts' are a great barometer. And the story is that Carolina wanted Stroud but Tepper wanted Young....but having said that, there's no doubt Young was up there on many boards. I doubted both Young and Stroud....couldn't have been more wrong on one of those.

(09-17-2024, 08:32 PM)medaille Wrote: I guess where are these Stroud lovers?  I type into google "2023 QB Prospect Rankings" and just started going down the list and Young is the top QB in almost every ranking.

Lots of #1's on there

Young was consensus #1, there's no doubt about it. 

Kiper was bitching yesterday about the Panthers ruining Young, and they probably did damage him, but part of the reason I think Young isn't doing well is just his size. He's incapable of doing certain things because he's just not built for it. 

I think at this very moment, based on what we're seeing, the NFL is re-evaluating how it scouts and develops QBs with more emphasis on requisite size and arm talent and way, WAY more emphasis on proper development.

(Yesterday, 07:52 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Young was consensus #1, there's no doubt about it. 

Kiper was bitching yesterday about the Panthers ruining Young, and they probably did damage him, but part of the reason I think Young isn't doing well is just his size. He's incapable of doing certain things because he's just not built for it. 

I think at this very moment, based on what we're seeing, the NFL is re-evaluating how it scouts and develops QBs with more emphasis on requisite size and arm talent and way, WAY more emphasis on proper development.

I’m not sure the NFL is going to become size queens any more than they already are.  I don’t think there’s any specific traits that magically make you successful at QB.  Guys win in this league with a variety of body types and play styles and draft prospects have a ton of holes in their game that you kind of have to project on how much they’ll grow into what you want out of them.

I totally agree that the NFL is going to get real keen on developing it’s QBs, after watching so many high drafted QBs fail, and then they’re still not going to do it.  The temptation to start these guys is just too high.  Coaches that draft high have that pressure of the team having sucked last year, and they need to get that stink off them and they’re often closer to being fired than anyone would prefer.  That said, I think if there’s one thing that should become a trend, it’s that teams should always maintain offensive talent.  Ignore defense if you have to, but always have talent on offense.  I feel like there’s no excuse for not having at least 2-3 solid receiving options and a decent OLine when you might be bringing in a young QB.  When you end up having to pay that QB a bunch, sure other stuff can wither a bit, but they’ll also be able to carry the load more, but if you’re a bottom dwelling team, you need to be just stocking up on offense.

(Yesterday, 09:55 AM)medaille Wrote: I’m not sure the NFL is going to become size queens any more than they already are.  I don’t think there’s any specific traits that magically make you successful at QB.  Guys win in this league with a variety of body types and play styles and draft prospects have a ton of holes in their game that you kind of have to project on how much they’ll grow into what you want out of them.

I totally agree that the NFL is going to get real keen on developing it’s QBs, after watching so many high drafted QBs fail, and then they’re still not going to do it.  The temptation to start these guys is just too high.  Coaches that draft high have that pressure of the team having sucked last year, and they need to get that stink off them and they’re often closer to being fired than anyone would prefer.  That said, I think if there’s one thing that should become a trend, it’s that teams should always maintain offensive talent.  Ignore defense if you have to, but always have talent on offense.  I feel like there’s no excuse for not having at least 2-3 solid receiving options and a decent OLine when you might be bringing in a young QB.  When you end up having to pay that QB a bunch, sure other stuff can wither a bit, but they’ll also be able to carry the load more, but if you’re a bottom dwelling team, you need to be just stocking up on offense.

Well you have to draft well to begin with. For every Jefferson, Addison and Darrisaw, there are two Reagors, Jeudys and Leatherwoods.