Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Athletic: How unprecedented is Sam Darnold’s resurgence in QB Tiers history?
https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5768278...-pick-six/

Very in-depth article about how rare it is for Darnold to have a resurgence like he's currently having:

"First off, Darnold playing well for the Vikings isn’t a shock to everyone. Before Mueller left The Athletic and joined the New Orleans Saints’ front office last month, the former NFL Executive of the Year made a film-based case for Darnold reviving his career in Minnesota.

You can listen to his thoughts, expressed in March, in the audio above. Mueller lauded the Vikings for doing what so many teams fear: moving on from an expensive veteran quarterback (Kirk Cousins) without knowing what the future holds.

That plan included signing Darnold for one year and $10 million, before it was known Minnesota could maneuver in the draft for the since-injured J.J. McCarthy. Mueller loved the plan partly because he thought Darnold’s 2023 tape with San Francisco showed progress.

“For the first time in this kid’s career, he had answers in his backpack to make decisions that helped him make progressions, reads, and he had an offensive line that actually protected him,” Mueller said then. “I think Sam Darnold was in horrible situations before he got to San Francisco, but he played really good in San Francisco in some film that, for me, was easy to decipher his strengths and weaknesses.”

Thats a good find....

I agree, by wk 6 we should have a much better handle on Darnold.

Albert Breer on Colin Cowherd had some interesting info on Darnold and KOC: Colin asked him if KOC REALLY felt he could be successful with Darnold and Breer said he definitely did and does. Said that the offense in NY with Gase was set up for Peyton Manning: too much cerebral shit for a rookie QB and then just went to a bad team in Carolina. Said KOC's offense is perfect for Sam and getting the most out of his arm and athletic ability.

Also this from Todd McShay:

@russillopod

I wanted to re-sign Cousins, especially going into his 3rd year in the offense. But there's a chance that Darnold can be just as good if not better. Check this out. Very similar play to Darnold's 97 yarder. Cousins threw the crosser for the 1st, but the deep route by Addison was open. Darnold had Nailor on the crosser but chose the deep route to Jefferson...from his own end zone too. That's ballsy.

[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

(09-17-2024, 01:56 PM)MaroonBells Wrote: I wanted to re-sign Cousins, especially going into his 3rd year in the offense. But there's a chance that Darnold can be just as good if not better. Check this out. Very similar play to Darnold's 97 yarder. Cousins threw the crosser for the 1st, but the deep route by Addison was open. Darnold had Nailor on the crosser but chose the deep route to Jefferson...from his own end zone too. That's ballsy.

Darnold made 3 plays (1 play with his arm, 2 plays with his legs) last Sunday that  beyond Cousins ability to make.

1. 1st Quarter  Darnold scrambled for 12? yards and got a first down. He moved the chains in a drive that  resulted in Vikings first points with a  FG.

2. The bomb to JJ covered over 50 yards. 

Cousins maximum range on a deep ball is about 45 yards. Cousins can't make that throw.. 

3.  ,Darnold  scrambled  again for 20+ yards  just before half, and the Vikings got  a FG with ;03  left.

Just sayin' Darnolds game  stresses opposing defenses in ways Cousins  simply did not.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mattybaby's post:

Kirko’s range isn’t anything close to 45 now. He looks to be comfortable maxed out at about 25 yards right now.