Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josh Oliver
With TJ out, I expected to see Oliver more involved in the offense, however he did not get one target yesterday.  Mundt was in for more snaps and had three targets and two receptions.  In the two games Mundt has been targeted six times and Oliver two.  I know we signed him mostly as a blocking TE, but with what we are paying him, I would think he would be more involved in the offense and playing more snaps than Mundt.

I think the TE's (outside of pass blocking) were after thoughts in yesterdays game plan. I do remember Mundt making a catch.

But yah, for the $$ we paid Oliver...

I think there is a disconnect between somebody signed to a contract and making the roster, vs. what they are getting paid, vs. what their role might be on any given game day. Yeah, he's getting paid pretty darn well, and he is a big body (@ 6'5" and 250), but really not bigger than the other two. Nick Muse is about the same size (6'5" and 252) and Johnny Mundt is not that much smaller (6'4", 243). Is Oliver's skill set blocking vs. pass catching? And honestly, until TJ gets back, the TE room is a little thin. TJ is about the same size...6'5" / 248, so they are almost all interchangeable bodies. In KOC I trust, on this matter.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Montana Tom's post:

Mundt is the better receiving threat, Oliver the better blocker, and Hockensen is a great mix of both. Hoping he comes back healthy at some point this season. Still want to see Darrisaw smoke Kirby Joseph for that one.

(09-16-2024, 07:13 PM)supafreak84 Wrote: Mundt is the better receiving threat, Oliver the better blocker, and Hockensen is a great mix of both. Hoping he comes back healthy at some point this season. Still want to see Darrisaw smoke Kirby Joseph for that one.

I disagree on Mundt. Personally not impressed with him and would like to see Oliver get a few more touches this week. Mundt should be a desperation outlet valve at best. Maybe they both should but I'd like to see what Oliver could do with ~5 targets in a game. Feel like we've never even given him a shot, but there's always the chance he's proven that's a bad plan in practice.

I think Oliver was brought in to block. If he catches anything it’s a bonus.

(3 hours ago)Bullazin Wrote: I think Oliver was brought in to block.  If he catches anything it’s a bonus.

He had some terrific run blocks in the 49er game.
[-] The following 2 users Like MaroonBells's post: