Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you get an AR type weapon into a high school?
Or how, does a 14 year old kid get his hands on a weapon?

This kid didnt just go and purchase this, I'd bet some serious coin it came from his own house. A house where the FBI investigated their kid for on-line threats in the past year. 

How long does it take to install a cable lock again???

So that's 4 deaths yesterday and lots of kids/parents/teachers/staff lives changed forever. 

What do you think the over/under will be for mass shooting deaths this year? How many children will die? 

85 is my guess...

As a society we've become so desensitized, it isnt even a problem discussed at the POTUS election level.

(09-05-2024, 09:39 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: Or how, does a 14 year old kid get his hands on a weapon?

This kid didnt just go and purchase this, I'd bet some serious coin it came from his own house. A house where the FBI investigated their kid for on-line threats in the past year. 

How long does it take to install a cable lock again???

So that's 4 deaths yesterday and lots of kids/parents/teachers/staff lives changed forever. 

What do you think the over/under will be for mass shooting deaths this year? How many children will die? 

85 is my guess...

As a society we've become so desensitized, it isnt even a problem discussed at the POTUS election level.

the cable lock wouldnt have prevented this. this wasnt a crime of passion, the was pre-meditated murder and as such the shooter had ample time to have disabled a cable lock if that was his choice. however instead of focusing on the gun, why dont we look at the why and focus on the why? there are houses all over the midwest with unsecured firearms and kids that are bullied at school, why do a few kids act out and the majority of others swallow it down? why is life so devalued anymore? what is desensitizing children to become the monsters that will go shoot up a school and target innocents?
[-] The following 2 users Like JimmyinSD's post:

As Jimmy alluded, the fixation on the weapon type is the wrong way to go...though, it WILL be the narrative with many news outlets, getting to add mileage to their "AR-15 STYLE FIREARM" narrative that is so...useless, so tiring, and shamelessly politicized.

What they forget is that the sick kid who killed so many at Virginia Tech only needed a pair of handguns and a relatively crowded campus; I've been very afraid more people would figure out this recipe going forward. That murderous spree was something like 30 dead and 17 wounded...with two easily concealed weapons. In a crowded, indoor setting, that'd be horrifically easier to replicate.

Meanwhile, neither the rifles nor the pistols involved in these tragedies have manufactured, shipped, displayed, selected, purchased, transported, loaded, chambered, aimed, or fired themselves; all of those steps were done by people, which is a difficult concept for some folks to grasp. I don't know if it's desensitization, stresses, losses of hope, peer/other pressures, hatred...but the increase in horrible crimes committed by children are one of my current horrors.
LET'S WREAK SOME FUGGIN' HAVOK, VIKINGS!!! SKOL!!!

(09-05-2024, 10:08 AM)JimmyinSD Wrote: the cable lock wouldnt have prevented this.  this wasnt a crime of passion, the was pre-meditated murder and as such the shooter had ample time to have disabled a cable lock if that was his choice.  however instead of focusing on the gun, why dont we look at the why and focus on the why?  there are houses all over the midwest with unsecured firearms and kids that are bullied at school, why do a few kids act out and the majority of others swallow it down?  why is life so devalued anymore?  what is desensitizing children to become the monsters that will go shoot up a school and target innocents?

I agree on the why Jimmy...In my OP, I was trying to fixate on the "how" cause both are pertinent. 

I recall a local case here this summer where there was carelessness at home re: gun storage and some babies died because of it. Just real poor gun mgmnt at home that can result in tragedy.

How do you get a rifle of ANY KIND into a high school in a big GA suburb???

(09-05-2024, 10:56 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: I agree on the why Jimmy...In my OP, I was trying to fixate on the "how" cause both are pertinent. 

I recall a local case here this summer where there was carelessness at home re: gun storage and some babies died because of it. Just real poor gun mgmnt at home that can result in tragedy.

How do you get a rifle of ANY KIND into a high school in a big GA suburb???

I have a plain grey, rectangular padded case for my AR that looks similar to a padded instrument case with a shoulder sling, it folds out into a shooting mat to lay on when shooting from a prone position, I dont know the how he got past metal detectors and/or door security, but as far as concealment, I dont think that would be to difficult when schools are used to seeing kids carrying bags and cases of varying size.

(09-05-2024, 11:15 AM)JimmyinSD Wrote: I have a plain grey, rectangular padded case for my AR that looks similar to a padded instrument case with a shoulder sling,  it folds out into a shooting mat to lay on when shooting from a prone position, I dont know the how he got past metal detectors and/or door security,  but as far as concealment,  I dont think that would be to difficult when schools are used to seeing kids carrying bags and cases of varying size.

Bingo. Having both firearms and guitar/music gear in my home, I can promise that there's some easy interchangeability...especially, getting firearms into guitar/bass/equipment cases. Even something as outlandish as the guitar case in "Desperado" (just the one with the fake guitar, not the others at the end of the movie) wouldn't be hard to pull off...IF you were determined to wreak havoc that way.

This train of thought was actually brought up when I played at a party over the weekend, and a special "gig bag" I own was being admired for all its pockets and compartments. There were some jokes about where the "spare magazines and flashbangs" went....
LET'S WREAK SOME FUGGIN' HAVOK, VIKINGS!!! SKOL!!!

And the final answer is...He broke the gun down and brought it in a backpack.

(09-12-2024, 03:36 PM)badgervike Wrote: And the final answer is...He broke the gun down and brought it in a backpack.

I assumed most high schools now had metal detectors, guess I was wrong.

(09-12-2024, 04:19 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: I assumed most high schools now had metal detectors, guess I was wrong.

Im guessing most rural schools dont, most likely dont have on site security

GA is going hard after the old man of the shooter...

Going to be interesting to see if the charges stick and to what degree he is responsible (if at all)