Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RandBall: In Atlanta, Falcons fans got a sour taste of Kirk Cousins at his worst
https://www.startribune.com/randball-in-.../601141231

"The former Vikings QB, making his much-anticipated debut after signing an expensive contract with the Falcons, put up just 10 points and did many of the things that frustrated fans when he was in Minnesota."

Also:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf...139844007/

"Kirk Cousins' issues have already sent Atlanta Falcons' hype train off track"

Yikes. "For first impressions, what a nightmare.
The Atlanta Falcons supplied so much hope and hype in luring Kirk Cousins to town in March with a massive $180 million contract. For those type of bucks, with $100 million guaranteed on a four-year deal, prayers are supposed to be answered.
Instead, Cousins looked too much like his discarded predecessors, Desmond Ridder and Marcus Mariota, as he stumbled and bumbled during his debut in a Falcons uniform. What an embarrassment." - Jarrett Bell, USA Today

"We know he has to play better," Falcons coach Raheem Morris said, making his debut, too, with the 18-10 setback to the Pittsburgh Steelers. "There's no doubt about that. I look forward to him bouncing back from a rough game and a rough outing. I'm not overly concerned about it."- Head Coach Raheem Morris

Kirk Cousins is a robot. He's not going to really do well off-script. He'll take 3-4 games to really get things internalized and then he’ll be ok if his achilles is serving him.
[-] The following 2 users Like medaille's post:

(09-10-2024, 09:07 AM)medaille Wrote: Kirk Cousins is a robot.  He's not going to really do well off-script.  He'll take 3-4 games to really get things internalized and then he’ll be ok if his achilles is serving him.

He also doesn't do well with someone breathing down his neck (Penix). Going to be interesting in Atlanta from this point forward.
[-] The following 2 users Like StickierBuns's post:

He's had games like this in the past. Maybe not this bad, but I remember a game against Cleveland where he was horrible and came back over the next several weeks and played well and went to the Pro Bowl. Achilles could be messing with his head.

Thinking back to when he said he wasn't fully comfortable in KOC's offense until week 8 also makes me wonder if he might not be just a little slow learning the Falcons offense. It's impossible to compare at this stage, but Both Darnold and McCarthy seemed to pick things up fairly quickly based on what KOC has said.

They ran him out of shotgun/pistol which isn't his game and he appeared to favor the repaired foot which messed up his mechanics. They also faced Mike Tomlin who has to be the acknowledged zen master of winning ugly... UGLY.

But I'm confident that he can be the quintessential Kirk and lead them to an 8-9 season. They didn't pay him that huge bag for nothing! Wink
[-] The following 3 users Like comet52's post:

Lots of good points in this thread...

All I know is:

He'll look good some weeks, but I am still glad to be moving on from the KC era
You beat him by making him go off script and move a little bit, he's the flip side of the coin to Rogers.

In our situation, this is addition by subtraction.
For once, our crystal ball got it right.
Good calculated risk Kwesi. A gold star for you on this very important decision.

Now before we get too cocky on the two headed future of Darn/JJM, let's just enjoy each game as it comes. 49ers are GOOOOOD.
Daniel Jones is not Brock Purdy, that's for sure.

(09-10-2024, 10:06 AM)Montana Tom Wrote: In our situation, this is addition by subtraction.
For once, our crystal ball got it right.
Good calculated risk Kwesi.  A gold star for you on this very important decision.

Now before we get too cocky on the two headed future of Darn/JJM, let's just enjoy each game as it comes.  49ers are GOOOOOD.
Daniel Jones is not Brock Purdy, that's for sure.

Not sure anyone's getting cocky in Vikingland, but Kirko stumbled out of the gate....that can't be denied. The NFL is a game by game league, today's hero is tomorrow's villain.....and vice versa.

Why does 1 game define Kirk’s career in Atlanta? QB’s have had bad games before. Kirk has had bad games before and done well the rest of the season. Hell, a lot of QB’s have bad games against Pittsburgh, and usually in the beginning of the season, the defenses are ahead of the offenses. I’m not sorry the Vikings moved on from him, but it seems premature to say he’s bad or that Sam Darnold has mastered the KOC offense.
Were the Falcons projected to do anything this season? They’ve seemed a mess for a little bit, not Panthers kind of mess, but not like they were a team in need of one missing piece.

I wish him well, I enjoyed his time in Minnesota. Age and injury, along with asking price dictated his moving on.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Riphawkins's post:

As we have seen the trend of the top starters not playing in pre season, there has definitely been some players and teams who have been slow out of the gate. I am sure Kirk will bounce back, also he is playing in a new offense which will take time. I think we would have been a better team with him this year, but it was the right move. And while I like Kirk, watching his post game interview, I thought that low key vibe is one thing I will not miss. I really like the fire and energy that JJM brings and looking forward to seeing that kind of energy on the field.