Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Zimsu talks...
His pettiness is off putting, but there are things I like about Zim. I think part of it is I didn’t mind coaches like him at all.

He is right in that it wasn’t all him. I wanted Spielman out well before him and it’s funny he brought up those picks. I too wanted to see a different direction.

Where I disagree is the idea that Cousins was the issue. The issue was poor player development and poor drafting. You can succeed with a higher caliber QB and his salary, but you have to be good at filling starting roles with draft picks or UDFA’s and you have to be good at developing them. As I screamed for pretty much all those drafts, go for quality not freaking quantity! Drove me crazy. Spielman is a nice guy, but I hated him as a draft guy.

I wanted them to draft Derek Carr. He was the best of the bunch in an overall weak class. My point was you can win a lot of games with a guy like that if you have a defense. They would have had 5 years of pretty decent play for a small contract.

What could have been.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Havoc's post:

Was a Zimmer fan when hired, kinda like his "crap or get off the pot" mentality. Don't coddle these guys, youre supposed to be a professional. If you can't take hard coaching, there's the door, I'm not here to give you a participation trophy.
But honestly this situation sounds more like Spielman's "control issues" played a part. Wasn't it Parcells who said something like "If you want me to do the cooking, then let me do the shopping"
I totally agree, and If The HC has no say in who the franchise drafts, that's a MAJOR problem. Two narcissists in a battle of ego's.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vanguard83's post:

Well, sure looks like Z spreads the blame to everyone but himself. He's highly critical, yet has complete onion skin about others being critical of him. Mr. 'Don't tell me about the labor, show me the baby' has a very fragile ego it appears. Are we forgetting this about this guy? Ol' Case Keenum had a 'horseshoe up his ass'....its like, shut up Z. Mr. "No Excuses" sure has plenty of them now.
[-] The following 2 users Like StickierBuns's post:

(09-01-2024, 07:32 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: Well, sure looks like Z spreads the blame to everyone but himself. He's highly critical, yet has complete onion skin about others being critical of him. Mr. 'Don't tell me about the labor, show me the baby' has a very fragile ego it appears. Are we forgetting this about this guy? Ol' Case Keenum had a 'horseshoe up his ass'....its like, shut up Z. Mr. "No Excuses" sure has plenty of them now.

Unfortunately it’s this ^^

It’s a one way street in Zimmerville and that will never change. It’s great until it doesn’t work. 

It was a good hire. Speilly showed he was not afraid to work with old school hard ass EGO, gave us a chance for success, Keenum year was unexpected, but Blair effing Walsh killed the shot at greatness, that game was won and we were playing damn good. 

Biggest thing I hold against Zim is Barr over Donald.  He’s where he needs to be playing second fiddle

"They got me fired"

I keep coming back to that. Not his inability to develop and real corners behind Rhodes, not his historically tragic clock management, his stubborn misuse of the resources he did have, his admission that he didn't even want his players to know where his office was...

...it was THEM. THEY got him fired.

We needed a tough, shock to the system-type reboot after Frazier, and he provided some of that...but, it wore off quickly. Rick was part of the problem, Zimmer was at least as big of a problem, and it's good that theyre both Purple history.
LET'S WREAK SOME FUGGIN' HAVOK, VIKINGS!!! SKOL!!!
[-] The following 4 users Like Zanary's post:

VikingzFanPage@vikingzfanpage
Speaking with former #Vikings QB Kellen Mond, he had this to say in response to Mike Zimmer:

“I don’t even know what our relationship was. Never spoke to him one time. The only coach I’ve ever had where his players and peers have 0 respect for him.”
[-] The following 3 users Like MaroonBells's post:

And at a time when Zimmer needed Cousins most, the quarterback missed that 37-10 loss to the Packers with COVID-19, something Zimmer warned Cousins could happen when he did not get vaccinated.

This still irks me.
When you are the face of the franchise, and getting paid a bazillion bucks, plus you rely on science to put your body in shape after the beating from each game...there was no logical excuse for not getting vaccinated. Sorry, I lost people to that virus and the cult of people who refused to get vaccinated, sorry, both of my daughters had to get vaccinated to go to public school. I just shake my head.

On the other hand being "about" Zim's age, not only carrying grudge's but acknowledging it publicly...it is such a weight on the soul and psyche. It took me a lot to forgive grudges that I had carried for decades, and when it finally happened (thanks to spiritual therapy), it took massive weight off my shoulders, and free'd me up. More than anything I really feel sorry for a guy with coaching talent who has character flaws and really, really sorry that he has not learned how to forgive.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Montana Tom's post:

(09-01-2024, 06:25 PM)Montana Tom Wrote: And at a time when Zimmer needed Cousins most, the quarterback missed that 37-10 loss to the Packers with COVID-19, something Zimmer warned Cousins could happen when he did not get vaccinated.

This still irks me.
When you are the face of the franchise, and getting paid a bazillion bucks, plus you rely on science to put your body in shape after the beating from each game...there was no logical excuse for not getting vaccinated. Sorry, I lost people to that virus and the cult of people who refused to get vaccinated, sorry, both of my daughters had to get vaccinated to go to public school.  I just shake my head.

On the other hand being "about" Zim's age, not only carrying grudge's but acknowledging it publicly...it is such a weight on the soul and psyche.  It took me a lot to forgive grudges that I had carried for decades, and when it finally happened (thanks to spiritual therapy), it took massive weight off my shoulders, and free'd me up.  More than anything I really feel sorry for a guy with coaching talent who has character flaws and really, really sorry that he has not learned how to forgive.
He had every right to refuse the vaccine.  It was bs then and it’s bs now.  It was his choice, not anyone else’s.  It was a stupid requirement, not a stupid choice.
[-] The following 2 users Like Waterboy's post:

An accurate headline would be "Bitter old man with zero self-awareness blames everyone else for firing". Walking out of the draft room because Rick took Mond was incredibly childish for a so-called leader.
[-] The following 3 users Like RS_Express's post:

Souhan's final comment on the matter? Vikings are better off without him.

Souhan: Former Vikings coach Mike Zimmer is blind to his own flaws
Ex-Vikings coach Mike Zimmer couldn’t handle the truth, resulting in his firing — and now the Vikings are in a better spot.

By Jim Souhan

The Minnesota Star Tribune
September 2, 2024 at 6:34PM
Minnesota Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer waved to fans as he took the field ahead of an NFL game between the Minnesota Vikings and the Chicago Bears Sunday, Jan. 9, 2022 at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis. ] ANTHONY SOUFFLE • [email protected]
Vikings coach Mike Zimmer waved to fans as he took the field ahead of a game in January 2022 against the Chicago Bears at U.S. Bank Stadium. It was his final game with the team. (Anthony Soufflé/The Minnesota Star Tribune)

On the subject of Mike Zimmer, let’s start with empathy.

Zimmer lost his wife when she was 50 and his son when he was 38. The man has suffered.

Let’s segue to appreciation.

Zimmer has the third-most coaching victories in Vikings history and is one of only four Vikings coaches with more than one playoff victory. He was a successful head coach, given that the average NFL coach lasts about three years.

Now let’s get to the broken heart of the matter and accept that Zimmer is acting, and speaking, like a jilted ex.

His targets included former General Manager Rick Spielman, longtime ally Terence Newman, quarterback Kirk Cousins and the many Vikings players who, in his words, got him fired.

What the interview revealed was that the widespread and franchise-damaging dysfunction that we suspected existed in Zimmer’s last years was probably even worse than we imagined.

And that Zimmer at some point in the late 2010s changed from being a good coach who prided himself on toughness to being unfit for his position.

Zimmer displays a remarkable lack of accountability and self-awareness. His words indicate that his players should be able to handle tough, even harsh, coaching but that he is above criticism.

And that everything that went wrong with the Vikings organization was someone else’s fault.

It’s not that each of his accusations is inaccurate.

Spielman made major mistakes. Wide receiver Stefon Diggs whined his way onto the trade block. Cousins did, indeed, refuse to get vaccinated, which led to him missing a key game in Green Bay when he contracted COVID.

In Zimmer’s last year with the Vikings, his players did, indeed, let him down, finishing 8-9 despite a talented roster.

But at some point in his tenure, Zimmer went from believing it was his job to fix the Vikings to believing that it was his job to blame others for the team’s failures.

Instead of doing what was best for the franchise, he judged every personnel move and management decision by how it fit with his personal philosophy.

The Vikings spent an inordinate amount of money on a franchise quarterback in Cousins and developed Diggs into one of the NFL’s best receivers.

Didn’t matter to Zimmer. He wanted to run the ball, so Cousins became an overpaid game manager and Diggs eventually forced a trade.

(This is where a self-aware Zimmer would thank Spielman for pulling a magic trick. Spielman traded Diggs, then immediately replaced him with the 22nd pick in the following draft, choosing Justin Jefferson, who is even better than Diggs.)

Zimmer tried to prove some kind of point by not starting Jefferson in his first two games in the NFL. Jefferson would quickly prove that he should have started on Day 1.

Zimmer overvalued defensive players who understood his scheme, causing the franchise to overvalue and overspend on linebacker Anthony Barr.

In hindsight, the high point of Zimmer’s tenure was also an indictment of his tenure.

The 2017 Vikings won in Zimmer’s preferred style, dominating on defense and getting just enough out of an undermanned offense to move the sticks.

That team went 13-3 with journeyman backup Case Keenum at quarterback, backup running backs Latavius Murray and Jerick McKinnon grinding out just enough yards, and Adam Thielen and Diggs turning short passes into first downs.

After a stunningly successful regular season, that formula required a play now known as a miracle to win a home playoff game against the New Orleans Saints, then failed in epic fashion in a 38-7 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles and backup quarterback Nick Foles.

Zimmer’s best defense was embarrassed, his template for winning a Super Bowl was exposed as fraudulent, and it was all downhill from there.

An NFL head coach’s job is to get the best out of the talent available to him. Zimmer instead searched for scapegoats.

The Vikings are better off without him.
[-] The following 2 users Like Montana Tom's post: