Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Name of the game in today's NFL
Skip Bayless
@RealSkipBayless
·14h
Please explain how the 49ers have twice the salary cap the Cowboys do? Because they beat us 42-10? They've paid their DE, their RB, now their WR. Soon Big Trent will get a big new deal, then they'll lock up Purdy for 5 yrs. Yet the world's most valuable team has the littlest cap?

Blake Baratz
@blakebaratz
·
14h
QB on rookie salary. Thats the key in this whole league. Then you better draft well and have that dude under center. Otherwise it catches up with you.

p.s. Nobody plays the sports villain better than that POS Skip Bayless.

(08-30-2024, 08:56 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: Skip Bayless
@RealSkipBayless
·14h
Please explain how the 49ers have twice the salary cap the Cowboys do? Because they beat us 42-10? They've paid their DE, their RB, now their WR. Soon Big Trent will get a big new deal, then they'll lock up Purdy for 5 yrs. Yet the world's most valuable team has the littlest cap?

Blake Baratz
@blakebaratz
·
14h
QB on rookie salary. Thats the key in this whole league. Then you better draft well and have that dude under center. Otherwise it catches up with you.

p.s. Nobody plays the sports villain better than that POS Skip Bayless.

Is he just playing at being stupid? I think every 11-year-old football fan knew the answer to his question before he finished asking it.

(08-30-2024, 09:08 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Is he just playing at being stupid? I think every 11-year-old football fan knew the answer to his question before he finished asking it.

That's his schtick: arrogance that insights the haters right on cue. Acting? Yes. Is he an asshole in real life outside the performance? Also yes.

I think an extended answer is that they have gotten so many comp picks, so they have extra draft capital. The second extended answer is that while having superstars is important, this is a game mostly about getting the most production per dollar, and the way you get more overall production is by getting your low cost players performing well above their pay grade, and that’s all about coaching.
[-] The following 2 users Like medaille's post:

(08-30-2024, 09:26 AM)medaille Wrote: I think an extended answer is that they have gotten so many comp picks, so they have extra draft capital. The second extended answer is that while having superstars is important, this is a game mostly about getting the most production per dollar, and the way you get more overall production is by getting your low cost players performing well above their pay grade, and that’s all about coaching.

YEP,it only takes one lottery ticket to win big, but damn if I dont like my odds more 5 at a time.

Gross…he “us’d” the Cowboys…

P.S.: We really need a puke emoji around here…
SKOL VIKINGS Tongue

The Niners have drafted extremely well. End of story

(08-30-2024, 03:02 PM)Bullazin Wrote: The Niners have drafted extremely well. End of story

Or extremely lucky. Either way, it doesn't matter. What matters in the NFL is this:

[Image: 2168145871.0.jpg]

....and Minnesota has theirs in this guy. His day is coming. 

[Image: 36OSX2XBRJL67KSY6RILDLVQUY.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like StickierBuns's post:

(08-30-2024, 03:02 PM)Bullazin Wrote: The Niners have drafted extremely well. End of story

I wouldn't say they've drafted "extremely well." I'd argue that they're about par for the course. If they didn't get extremely lucky with the Brock Purdy pick, they'd still be paying for the Lance gamble. And make no mistake, Purdy was a full court shot with their eyes closed. 49ers had THREE 6th rounders that year, and used none of them on Purdy, so it's not like Purdy was their ace in the hole they couldn't leave the draft without. He was a shot in the dark. 

They've had hits with Bosa, Deebo and Ward, but for every one of those, there's been a Dante Pettis, a Josh Garnett or a Rueben Foster. Prior to the Trey Lance blunder, they took Javon Kinlaw 14th overall. He been a mild bust and is no longer with the team. Year before it was Mike McGlinchey at 9th overall. He's been decent (not top 10 good) but he's also no longer with the team. Year before, it was Solomon Thomas at 3rd overall. Thomas is one of the biggest busts of that last decade.

I'm truly amazed at how '9ers have been competitive for so long and have been able to hang onto their talent for so long. They are probably heading for a reckoning when Purdy gets paid. But very few NFL teams hang onto a chance to win it all for several years.
I remember the Vikings in the mid sixties to mid seventies having a team that could compete for a championship, year after year.
That's why I am a Vikings fan.
The Vikings haven't shown signs of that since.
They have had one, maybe two competitive years at a time a few times. But today and for awhile, it has been a challenge to even get back to a competitive team.
I won't criticsize the '9ers drafts when they continuously compete for the prize year in and year out.
But I do think the Vikings may be on the threshold of something long term and special.
I expect an upward trend this year and Playoffs next year. I expect a team capable of winning it all the year after.