Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Packers and Lions: current NFC powerhouses
Hard to argue that these two teams haven't set themselves up well for now and the future. I even like the Malik Willis trade for GB: in a one or two game situation as a backup to Love if he got dinged, I could see LaFleur game planning something up for Willis to be effective. Both teams have playmakers on both sides of the ball. 

I'm happy that Minnesota has a plan now with JJM and some nice cap room for 2025, but it will take a little time to gel....although Minnesota has talent as well. Vikings are going to be looking up at these two teams for a few years, methinks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

We need a difference maker on both IOL and IDL. For shits and giggs, let’s say we get one in FA and 1 in the draft. Add JJ’s magic and some garlic and Voila, Super bowl soup

(08-27-2024, 06:03 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: Hard to argue that these two teams haven't set themselves up well for now and the future. I even like the Malik Willis trade for GB: in a one or two game situation as a backup to Love if he got dinged, I could see LaFleur game planning something up for Willis to be effective. Both teams have playmakers on both sides of the ball. 

I'm happy that Minnesota has a plan now with JJM and some nice cap room for 2025, but it will take a little time to gel....although Minnesota has talent as well. Vikings are going to be looking up at these two teams for a few years, methinks.

And Chicago too if Caleb Williams hits. In fact, as those QB contracts in Green Bay and Detroit start to escalate more and more money onto their caps (Goff's cap hit in 2026 is $69M), it could be Minnesota and Chicago as the two powerhouses going into the 2nd half of the decade.

The Packers will be much improved by virtue of finally sending their horseshit Defensive Coordinator packing…  Angel

They still have to play the games and, as we know, things happen on the field.

I don't know if I'm ready to crown Green Bay an NFC Powerhouse...

They were a 9-8 team last year and their good second half was fueled by a RB that is now wearing purple. They replaced him with Jacobs who has been dinged up this off-season.

Jordan Love has a full season's worth of tape for teams to use now and he wasn't good under pressure last season. The Packers OL is banged up right now and starting some young guys.

They fired their DC in the off-season and no guarantees new guy is as good as the previous one.

If you stack up the Packers talent excluding QB, we're better than them at a lot of positions.

Detroit is up there with SF as one of top tier teams in the NFC. Good offensive playmakers at RB, TE, and WR. Good OL. Front 7 on defense is strong, but we'll see if these rookie CBa improve their pass D.

I think Green Bay is in the tier below with the Seahawks, Rams, Bucs, etc. Good enough to be a playoff team, but a few injuries or bad losses could make them miss out completely.
[-] The following 2 users Like MAD GAINZ's post:

Wink 
I’ll say this, both teams have really got it together, but the Vikings still need some time to gel. I agree that Minnesota's got a cool plan with JJM and some cap space for 2025, but it’ll take time. I think we’ll see how this plays out.

vike
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tom344's post:

(08-28-2024, 05:07 AM)Tom344 Wrote: I’ll say this, both teams have really got it together, but the Vikings still need some time to gel. I agree that Minnesota's got a cool plan with JJM and some cap space for 2025, but it’ll take time. I think we’ll see how this plays out.

vike

Welcome aboard Tom.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JimmyinSD's post:

(08-27-2024, 09:43 PM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: I don't know if I'm ready to crown Green Bay an NFC Powerhouse... 

They were a 9-8 team last year and their good second half was fueled by a RB that is now wearing purple.  They replaced him with Jacobs who has been dinged up this off-season.

Jordan Love has a full season's worth of tape for teams to use now and he wasn't good under pressure last season.  The Packers OL is banged up right now and starting some young guys.

They fired their DC in the off-season and no guarantees new guy is as good as the previous one.

If you stack up the Packers talent excluding QB, we're better than them at a lot of positions.

Detroit is up there with SF as one of top tier teams in the NFC.  Good offensive playmakers at RB, TE, and WR.  Good OL.  Front 7 on defense is strong, but we'll see if these rookie CBa improve their pass D.

I think Green Bay is in the tier below with the Seahawks, Rams, Bucs, etc. Good enough to be a playoff team, but a few injuries or bad losses could make them miss out completely.

I agree completely. Calling them a powerhouse, no, its not there. They got hot in the last half of the season. Thanks in large part to their former running back.

As for Detroit. Good team that's headed by a dumbass. Yes, the players would run through a wall for their coach. But eventually he'll have them run through the wrong wall. His play calling is questionable, at best sometimes. But at other times, its just bizarre.

(08-28-2024, 08:21 AM)wiviking Wrote: I agree completely. Calling them a powerhouse, no, its not there. They got hot in the last half of the season. Thanks in large part to their former running back.

As for Detroit. Good team that's headed by a dumbass. Yes, the players would run through a wall for their coach. But eventually he'll have them run through the wrong wall. His play calling is questionable, at best sometimes. But at other times, its just bizarre.

One lost by 3 to the NFC Superbowl loser in the playoffs and the other was in the NFCC game and lost by 3: and both have done nothing to think they'll be lesser than in 2024. Every year is different for sure, but not sure how you can't call both NFC powerhouses. Josh Jacobs is an upgrade at RB for Green Bay. You can call Campbell a dumbass, but he's got good coordinators below him on both sides of the ball. A talented roster. 

So its not like I'm rooting for these teams, lol, but its easy to see without purple shades that they will most likely be pretty darn good again this year.