Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings vs Browns
Didn't get to see the game as it wasn't televised in California, but sounds like a good day overall for Mullens and Hall. Our no name receiving depth continues to show up. Not sure how you keep Jackson off the roster at this point. And holy shit...Lewis Cine sighting!! Sounds like the kid balled out today and I'm happy to see it.

I couldn't get the game here either. Just came out of the hills with 4-wheeler, chainsaw, dogs...and trophy wife. Cut open some old riding trails before it had been logged a few years ago..kind of a mess, but now it's back in the saddle again! Trails are cleared. Highlights looked okay. Mullins is a bit slow on the draw...I think that led to at least two sacks that I saw and the safety. He's not a #1 QB. That's settled.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Montana Tom's post:

Watched highlights, so it seemed like a good day.

Preseason wins, while they don’t mean much to some, show how good your depth is. The Vikings seem to be better off as far as that is concerned.

Was glad to see the turnovers, and of course the Lewis Cine sighting.

Montana Tom, The safety was the new guy, Matt Corral, wasn’t it?

I saw the first half with Mullens. I don't see how the new kid can't beat him out in time.

Favorite player of game was Dallas Gant, all over the field. We do not have a lot of depth at LB and think he has a shot at making team. Also thought Taimani stood out. Would be surprised if McGlothern does not make the 53. Rouse and Jurgens seem like solid picks and will add some depth to the OL.

Thought Mullens looked pretty good for his first pre season action, had some good zip on the ball and moved around pretty well. Trishton Jackson showing some swagger and physicality. Seems like he and Nailor are in the top 5 with Powell. Gaskin looked solid, shifty and quick, think he sticks.

Cine seemed to play the entire game, would not be surprised if they were trying to showcase him for a trade. Not sure why our kicker was kicking every kickoff into the end zone, unless he was instructed to as it would seem like these games are an opportunity to work on this new ridiculous kickoff.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JR44's post:

Good post JR. I thought Taimani was really good! Along with Cine, Rouse, Hall, Gant
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bullazin's post:

This offense makes all pro's out of WR dirt - its reminiscent of the Rams in that regard. 
Wonder why?

Cine played the best game I have seen him play in the pro's. 
Has the light switch come on? Finally? MAYBE?????

Looks like they added some depth for both the DL and OL. There will be some rook lineman making the 53

Mullens is serviceable for a game or 2. He's reckless at times and you just have to accept that with him at this point.

Thank goodness they signed Gilmore.

Hall look much improved over a year ago.

New play-callers
As play-callers, O’Connell and defensive coordinator Brian Flores were among the “starters” to get the night off.
Offensive coordinator Wes Phillips called the offense, while defensive calls were shared by defensive backs coach Daronte Jones in the first half and inside linebackers coach Mike Siravo in the second half.

Phillips had a good start as the Vikings converted 6 of 10 first-half third downs while compiling 198 yards, including 84 rushing, on 40 plays.
“Wes had great flow, a clear plan,” O’Connell said. “The operation felt clean.”
Jones had a first half to be proud as the Vikings held the Browns to 122 yards and 0-for-4 on third down and posted the game’s first turnover – a Lewis Cine interception off a ball tipped by linebacker Dallas Gant with 20 seconds left in the half and the Browns driving.

A highlight for Jones was dialing up a nice inside-backer rush that resulted in Brian Asamoah II notching a 14-yard sack that nearly was a safety.
“Daronte and Siravo did a nice job feeding off each other,” O’Connell said.

The Vikings had two more takeaways – interceptions by Jacobi Francis and Dwight McGlothern – while allowing only three points with Siravo calling the defense in the second half.

Source: Startribune

Cine finished with a game-high 10 tackles, a sack, a tackle for loss and the interception.

Mullens had one potential pick dropped in the red zone by diving cornerback Tony Brown II. But under heavy pressure throughout his first half of action, Mullens twice threw the ball in the dirt when 2023 Mullens might have let the ball fly up for grabs.

“If I protect the football, I’m a really good quarterback in this league,” he said. “So anytime you can have no turnovers, it’s big. We didn’t turn the ball over, and we won.”

Mullens’ numbers weren’t great. He completed 11 of 21 passes for 135 yards, one touchdown and an 88.4 passer rating.

Mullens, however, handled himself fairly well as the Vikings were converting six of 10 third downs to take a 13-7 halftime lead. He completed five of six third-down throws to five different receivers for five first downs. He also was sacked three times and didn’t fumble. His only third-down incompletion was initially ruled a fumble but was overturned on replay.

Coach Kevin O’Connell said he was happy with Mullens’ performance and praised the two dirted balls mentioned above. But he was quick to add that Mullens should have also thrown away the ball that was almost intercepted in the red zone.

Source: Startribune

A week after his 48-yard touchdown burst, Kene Nwangwu helped the Vikings run for 84 yards in the first half. He ran the ball seven times for 45 yards, a 6.4 average, including a 13-yarder in which he showed some power and balance, bouncing off two defenders. He has only 27 regular-season carries in his career so far.

Risner has been dinged for a whole long while this TC.

Ingram needs the reps according to KOC - which is why he played last night.

Take from that what you will....
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

Wasn't able to watch, but I paid loose attention to the gamecast and then saw the highlights. My takeaways...

• LOVE this WR group. Strong at the top and strong at the bottom.
• Every time I see Nick Muse, he's making a great block. He's in a tough battle for the 53 with Harry and Tonyan, but I'm hoping he sticks. I think he has a future.
• Mullens' knowledge of the offense is invaluable. We're lucky to have him.
• Ingram is the only OL starter to play in this game and he didn't play particularly well. I heard Risner is hurt? I'm hearing some on Twitter say that Risner is on the bubble? Man, I don't know about that. If he is, it's more because of good play by Jurgens and not Ingram.
• Cine is a physically talented guy. Were the Vikings showcasing him for trade? Or did the light finally come on for him? Sure, it was against 2s and 3s, but none of his plays were because he beat an inferior athlete. It was because he was playing fast, and with purpose. Finally.
• McGlothern needs to hit the treadmill; WTF Matt Corral?

Reading that KOC had a # of QB's down for a try-out during the week in Cleveland. Corral was the one that stuck (for now).

Our man Jurgens had a couple bad pressures given up, but he was a beast again in the run game.

I am excited for our run game this year!

Cine is all about his head imo. If he is in the right place he is more talented athletically than Jackson and Ward. I hope he can get it mentally.