Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gilmore visits -- and leaves...
Pro Bowl cornerback Stephon Gilmore visits Vikings, leaves without a deal
Cornerback Stephon Gilmore got a “sneak preview” of Vikings headquarters, coach Kevin O’Connell said, but did not agree to terms on a contract.

The Vikings still need help at cornerback after former Pro Bowler Stephon Gilmore visited the team’s headquarters in Eagan on Monday and left without agreeing to a contract.

Head coach Kevin O’Connell said Monday night there was “really good dialogue” between the two sides, including Gilmore getting to know O’Connell and defensive backs coach Daronte Jones. Gilmore overlapped with Vikings defensive coordinator Brian Flores in New England, where they spent the 2017 and Super Bowl-winning 2018 seasons together, the latter of which Flores served as Patriots play caller.

Gilmore’s decorated career — five Pro Bowls, two All-Pro selections — would bring experience to a Vikings secondary already thinned by attrition.

O’Connell alluded to the possibility of Gilmore still signing in Minnesota.

“The important thing is we’re very proud of the atmosphere, our locker room, our players,” O’Connell said. “So, I always think it’s a positive when we can just allow guys to get a little sneak preview, sneak peak of what they may be joining if all things work out.”

Gilmore, 33, is looking for his fifth different team in the last five years. The former 2012 first-round pick — selected 10th overall, 19 spots ahead of safety Harrison Smith — started every game for the Cowboys last season. He deflected 13 passes and had two interceptions and a forced fumble.

https://www.startribune.com/minnesota-vi.../601083918

Interesting comment from KOC. Gives one the impression the Vikings were trying to get Gilmore on a cheaper deal by selling him on the facilities and team culture. Guessing Gilmore wants to see if he can get more elsewhere first. Probably not over yet.

Cowboys paid Gilmore around $10M last year, which seems high considering his age. It's about twice what Harry is getting, but then corners will always make more than safeties. Plus, he did play pretty well, even at 33, earning PFF grades in the 70s.

He's probably trying to get about the same from his next team. $7 or $8 is probably closer to reality though.

I don't think its going to happen. I'm sure he wants a nice paycheck and he can wait awhile longer until another team has a devastating injury to their secondary (which sucks in the NFL) and that team will be desperate enough to pony up.

(08-13-2024, 09:16 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: I don't think its going to happen. I'm sure he wants a nice paycheck and he can wait awhile longer until another team has a devastating injury to their secondary (which sucks in the NFL) and that team will be desperate enough to pony up.

He's going the hired gun route. 5 teams in 5 years, trying to squeeze every penny out of his declining skills. Hard to blame him, but it just makes me appreciate guys like Harrison Smith a little more. I doubt Harry has much interest in upending his life for a few dollars more.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

My guess Vikes want a favorable deal. Gilmore wants the bank. 5 years 5 different teams. I get it ... don't like it.
[-] The following 2 users Like Still Hurtn's post:

After the McCsrthy news forget it. Gilmore won't want to play for a guaranteed losing team, and bringing him in would just make us good enough to still miss the playoffs but F up our 2025 draft pick.

He's trying to squeeze every penny out of the last of his relevant playing time, which isn't wrong, but also isn't likely to impress KAM/KOC. If he wants to be part of one of the best cultures in the league, he can come back after making the rounds.

If not...well, none of those recent teams tried all that hard to keep him.
LET'S WREAK SOME FUGGIN' HAVOK, VIKINGS!!! SKOL!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zanary's post:

(08-13-2024, 11:58 PM)RS_Express Wrote: After the McCsrthy news forget it.  Gilmore won't want to play for a guaranteed losing team, and bringing him in would just make us good enough to still miss the playoffs but F up our 2025 draft pick.

Whoa Nelly, just wait a minute there.
Last time I checked, Darnold was the anticipated and annointed starting QB for at least the start of this season, and if it goes modestly well, hopefully the entire season.  KOC's plan was to let JJM vine-ripen on the bench until such time that JJM might organically mature into a starting NFL contract.  Optimistically, next season at the earliest, assuming Darnold does moderately well.

Being 100% totally objective, we (most of us) were hoping that JJM would be riding the pine all season, we'd get to see the future in the next two Exhibition games, and we shall see what this season brings.

The only thing that has changed is that we won't see JJM in action in the next two Exhibition games, and we'll now keep both Jaren Hall and Mullins as backup QB through the rest of this season.  Jaren Hall remains employed by the Vikings for another year is the only material change that I see.

After surgery, JJM will be back at Vikings-ville in a cast or boot for months, sitting in the QB room and absorbing the mental aspects of being an NFL QB.

The JJM news is not good, no question.  But it is not the end of the world and not any kind of realistic justification for Gilmore to not sign here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Montana Tom's post: