Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Levis 'tweaking' mechanics, thoughts in general
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/4039...-mechanics

Not sure how I feel about this stuff, I'm sure for small changes, its completely fine. When I read that a team is changing a QB's 'throwing motion' then I'd be worried. I know with rookie QBs, tweaks to mechanics are very normal. As mentioned in the article, a QB's base is everything. Creates max power and best accuracy. A complete clinic in base is watching Peyton Manning: he's like a throwing machine, his base is the platform (waist and below)  and above the waist is the throwing mechanism. The same every single time. He's really the archetype for the position from a mechanics standpoint.

I think the best get better each year, making tweaks where they need to, until they have things perfected. I think where I have problems with changing things is for young guys that are in over their head mentally, and then you try to change their mechanics at the same time, and then you throw them into starting before they really have either thing solidified, and now they’re thinking about too many things at once and it’s hard to be productive in that state, and bad habits get ingrained and their getting hit a lot or turning the ball over a lot because of their bad habits, and it becomes a confidence issue on top of the other issues.

I think the offseason is a perfect time to try and get that muscle memory ingrained, away from having to deal with what offenses and defenses are doing at the same time.
[-] The following 2 users Like medaille's post:

Proper mechanics are only used with great oline protection.
The great ones can throw it accurately every which way.

A couple years ago, I saw a diagram of Josh Allen's throwing motion when he was QB at Wyoming. Big arm, strong, off-center throwing motion, not particularly accurate. At Buffalo, they worked on his off-balance throwing motion to get him to where he became a stud in Buffalo. I was looking that up and there was reference to a couple of different off-seasons where he tweaked his throwing motion. He did it once (in the 2019-2020 offseason), and realized he slipped into some bad habits (and did not have a great year) last year. So he's doing it again this off-season.

When you get to that level (top of the NFL) I do think there is a LOT to it. Nothing is casual. Miliseconds separate success from failure.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffal...pping-ks17
[-] The following 2 users Like Montana Tom's post:

Good input here. Its definitely proven that proper mechanics make for a more accurate passer. And with guys like Josh Allen, who really had shit mechanics coming out of college, 'tuneups' are necessary because sometimes these guys revert to old habits or bad mechanics. I love Allen, but he can be a turnover machine at times.

Lots of young QBs in the NFL right now (28 or under).....the league has to love that.

His wonky throwing motion contributes to his accuracy issues but I think the bottom line is that he isn't quite quick enough upstairs. That could improve some with reps, but for some guys there's a ceiling and even years of reps don't help. See Darnold, Sam for an example.

Hopefully the team is helping him w/ his mayonnaise problem as well…  Cool Tongue
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kentis's post: