Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panthers trying to fix Young already
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/panth...ie-season/

Another QB 'whisperer'. One of the hardest parts for Young is the constant questions from reporters about his play. Its unrelenting. You can see he's already a touch defensive. It was such a shit year last season for Carolina. Bryce seems like a great kid, I'm rooting for him. But man this dude is SMALL. Not just short, but thin framed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

Since Cam Newton in 2018, the year the Vikings signed Kirk Cousins, the Panthers have changed starting QBs 15 times. Over that same time period, Washington used 16 different starting QBs.

Carolina really needed to get the Young pick right and it looks like they may not have. It's still early and I think Young can still develop, but it's not looking good.

I was a Young fan from his Bama days.

Talk about Riches to Rags: Bama to Panthers.

I'm rooting for the kid, last year was rough and the team around him sucked ballz.
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

(06-27-2024, 07:27 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Since Cam Newton in 2018, the year the Vikings signed Kirk Cousins, the Panthers have changed starting QBs 15 times. Over that same time period, Washington used 16 different starting QBs.

Carolina really needed to get the Young pick right and it looks like they may not have. It's still early and I think Young can still develop, but it's not looking good.

Yeah I'm pretty sure they've picked in the top 10 every year post-Newton, or something close to that. Multiple coaches in that time too obviously. One of the league's worst franchises in recent years for sure. If you're a fan of there's Young is basically the only lifeline right now, until they draft his replacement because that roster is THIN.

" the Panthers have changed starting QBs 15 times. Over that same time period, Washington used 16 different starting QBs "
It's like, here's your sign dummies. It's not the QB.

I guess I don’t follow the Panthers too much. Were they constantly swapping QBs because of performance or injuries? That said, you look at what they’ve done to solve their QB problem and you ask, “How hard are they even trying to solve their QB problem?” They’ve had top 8 draft picks each of the 2020-2023 and didn’t pick a QB with any of them, until they got the #1 pick and couldn’t not pick a QB.

I feel like it’s a hard sell, for me, to try and compare the Panthers QB situation with our post-Cousins one, because they basically wasted half a decade not trying to solve the only position that really matters, whereas within a month after losing Cousins, we aggressively tried to solve that position, and by all accounts strategically planned for year(s) to make the transition. We’re not doomed to the Panthers fate, because they’re a rudderless ship and we’re actively trying.

Maybe David Tepper can go down to the locker room and throw a drink on him.
[-] The following 2 users Like comet52's post:

(06-27-2024, 10:35 AM)medaille Wrote: I guess I don’t follow the Panthers too much.  Were they constantly swapping QBs because of performance or injuries?  That said, you look at what they’ve done to solve their QB problem and you ask, “How hard are they even trying to solve their QB problem?”  They’ve had top 8 draft picks each of the 2020-2023 and didn’t pick a QB with any of them, until they got the #1 pick and couldn’t not pick a QB.

I feel like it’s a hard sell, for me, to try and compare the Panthers QB situation with our post-Cousins one, because they basically wasted half a decade not trying to solve the only position that really matters, whereas within a month after losing Cousins, we aggressively tried to solve that position, and by all accounts strategically planned for year(s) to make the transition.  We’re not doomed to the Panthers fate, because they’re a rudderless ship and we’re actively trying.

That's a good question. In 2021 they picked 8th, but the only QBs left were Mac Jones and Justin Fields, so I guess they can be forgiven for that one. 2020 was the big miss. They picked 7th and could've traded down and taken Jordan Love or Jalen Hurts, or moved up for Burrow, Tua or Herbert, but but they went with a DT. They may have tried trading and were turned down, who knows.

In 2017 they drafted two picks ahead of Patrick Mahomes and took Christian McCaffrey. But that was just a season after Cam was voted MVP. After Cam Newton went belly up a couple years later due mostly to injuries, they seemed to favor the vet route by bringing in Teddy, Darnold and Mayfield. 

I think it's just a crap organization. A year after Baker Mayfield went 1-5 with them, he had a breakout year with the Bucs.

(06-27-2024, 11:24 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: That's a good question. In 2021 they picked 8th, but the only QBs left were Mac Jones and Justin Fields, so I guess they can be forgiven for that one. 2020 was the big miss. They picked 7th and could've traded down and taken Jordan Love or Jalen Hurts, or moved up for Burrow, Tua or Herbert, but but they went with a DT. They may have tried trading and were turned down, who knows.

In 2017 they drafted two picks ahead of Patrick Mahomes and took Christian McCaffrey. But that was just a season after Cam was voted MVP. After Cam Newton went belly up a couple years later due mostly to injuries, they seemed to favor the vet route by bringing in Teddy, Darnold and Mayfield. 

I think it's just a crap organization. A year after Baker Mayfield went 1-5 with them, he had a breakout year with the Bucs.

@ the bold....

Very reminiscent of the Vikings passing on Rogers (twice) as they had Pepp on the roster, coming off some good years too...

Yah, that was the good Pepp b4 injuries.

(06-27-2024, 07:36 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: @ the bold....

Very reminiscent of the Vikings passing on Rogers (twice) as they had Pepp on the roster, coming off some good years too...

Yah, that was the good Pepp b4 injuries.

Its too bad about Daunte's knee injury, I really liked him. Huge, strong armed and accurate. I thought the team was set.