Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McCarthy to get 'red shirt' year
(06-24-2024, 12:23 PM)FLVike Wrote: In today's NFL the QB gets the glory for winning but also the blame when losing.  The 1-4 start last season, even though it was much on other circumstances,  Cousins was the QB so he bares the losses.
No matter what anyone thinks,  wins and losses are all that matter so if we go 2-3 it is better than last season   period. But I actually think we do better than that.

I don't bet. But if I did you wouldn't like the outcome. You would win a little money but you wouldn't like the outcome.

I thinks it more likely that they go 0-5 than 2-3, 1-4 would suck, but I wouldnt be surprised.

What none of us are talking about much is the defense...

Some new pieces, but if they jell sooner than later? They could really make this team competitive.
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

I am not a fan of claiming things one way or the other, let the guys go to camp and whoever looks the best starts regardless if they are a rookie or veteran. It is not like Darnold is Cousins and coming in as the incumbent who has earned the right to be the starter or a big time FA who was signed to start. He was brought in to to be a bridge, let their play be the indicator of how long that bridge is.

I think Sam is going to surprise some people. The Dude went to a terrible Jets team had 3 different couches. Went to the Panthers and had 2 different coaches on one of the NFL worse teams. Im good with JJM sitting for a full year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Still Hurtn's post:

(06-24-2024, 02:19 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: What none of us are talking about much is the defense...

Some new pieces, but if they jell sooner than later? They could really make this team competitive.

Yeah, I think this defense has a chance to be REALLY good.  Like top 10 with some of our additions and most of our starters and depth having another year of experience under Flores.

(06-24-2024, 03:52 PM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: Yeah, I think this defense has a chance to be REALLY good.  Like top 10 with some of our additions and most of our starters and depth having another year of experience under Flores.

I agree. That will be the difference from last year. Flores is getting a few of the pieces he wants, to fit what he wants to do. Flores is a gifted coach who gets the most out of what he has to work with.
I just hope the offense can stay on the field enough to keep the defense from getting gassed every game. A run game would help!

(06-24-2024, 03:52 PM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: Yeah, I think this defense has a chance to be REALLY good.  Like top 10 with some of our additions and most of our starters and depth having another year of experience under Flores.

Flores is kind of a mad scientist. Many see signings like Metellus and go "meh." Good player, knows his stuff, but he's no superstar, a player who moves the needle for pre-season power rankers. 

But to Flores, Metellus is a superstar, more valuable to his particular brand of defense than maybe other high-priced free agents would be. We could be saying similar things about Cashman and Van Ginkel.

(06-24-2024, 02:31 PM)JR44 Wrote: I am not a fan of claiming things one way or the other, let the guys go to camp and whoever looks the best starts regardless if they are a rookie or veteran.  It is not like Darnold is Cousins and coming in as the incumbent who has earned the right to be the starter or a big time FA who was signed to start.  He was brought in to to be a bridge, let their play be the indicator of how long that bridge is.

Preach! This is where I'm at to. This should be an open competition. We can all make predictions because it's fun but no one should be trying to place any kind of set in stone timeline on McCarthy or any rookie. Not week 1 starter. Not year 1 redshirt. That goes for coaches too. He should play when he's ready and he gives the team the best chance to win. I have no clue when that will be but I hope our coaches are open and elastic to all possibilities. Zim was famously rigid on some of this and the Ty Chandler saga of 2023 has me slightly arching an eyebrow towards KO, but overall I think he's done a good job in putting the best possible team on the field. Minus maybe when he started Jaren Hall late last year but I understand that as we were desperate.

(06-24-2024, 12:32 PM)JimmyinSD Wrote: I thinks it more likely that they go 0-5 than 2-3,  1-4 would suck, but I wouldnt be surprised.

I feel like you. 1-4 at best the first 5 games, but I’m always up to be pleasantly surprised.

(06-24-2024, 12:32 PM)JimmyinSD Wrote: I thinks it more likely that they go 0-5 than 2-3,  1-4 would suck, but I wouldnt be surprised.

We lost some very close games last year and without Cousins. We were one play from beating the Lions.
We are a better team this season.