Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connor Williams talking to teams
Williams is an elite-level center, but I find this report that he "expects to be ready for the start of the season" a little hard to believe. He suffered the ACL late in the year and all the reports I read said it was much worse than your run of the mill ACL. 

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter
Former Cowboys and Dolphins free-agent center Connor Williams, who is coming off season-ending knee surgery, expects to be ready for the start of the season and is in discussions with multiple teams about where to play in 2024. He plans to pick his new team before training camp begins.

If this were next year's offseason, I'd say Minnesota might be in. But Bradbury's dead cap $$$ this year is $8 million. And it would be a big shakeup for the line at this point (Late June). Williams will sign with whomever gives him the biggest contract.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

(06-20-2024, 09:49 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: If this were next year's offseason, I'd say Minnesota might be in. But Bradbury's dead cap $$$ this year is $8 million. And it would be a big shakeup for the line at this point (Late June). Williams will sign with whomever gives him the biggest contract.

Yeah, I don't think we're going to be players for him. I thought he might be a sneaky add for us late in the year once he returns to full health, but if he's looking to sign now, it's probably not going to be with us. Honestly, I can't imagine anyone signing him right now. Probably just agent talk.

GB may not anchor well, but he knows the offense and can make the line calls - taking that off of Darnolds plate. Thats a big deal - and it'll be a bigger deal in 25 when an even younger, greener QB is starting.
[-] The following 3 users Like purplefaithful's post:

(06-21-2024, 08:06 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: GB may not anchor well, but he knows the offense and can make the line calls - taking that off of Darnolds plate. Thats a big deal - and it'll be a bigger deal in 25 when an even younger, greener QB is starting.

translated, GB sucks at the important part of his job, but he knows the job....

personally I think if we have shit loads of cap next year, and even some still this year, if this guy is an upgrade then they damn well should be getting into the conversation, continuing to count on GB at center is a complete waste of a season, he has no anchor and even less push, his only redeeming trait is that he can move in space, but thats down a ways on things I need to seem from the guy lined up directly in front of the most important player on the field. I doubt that the line calls would be that difficult for a veteran center to pick up.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JimmyinSD's post:

(06-21-2024, 11:46 AM)JimmyinSD Wrote: translated,  GB sucks at the important part of his job,  but he knows the job.... 

personally I think if we have shit loads of cap next year, and even some still this year, if this guy is an upgrade then they damn well should be getting into the conversation,  continuing to count on GB at center is a complete waste of a season,  he has no anchor and even less push, his only redeeming trait is that he can move in space, but thats down a ways on things I need to seem from the guy lined up directly in front of the most important player on the field.  I doubt that the line calls would be that difficult for a veteran center to pick up.

I've been hard on Bradbury in the past as well, but the team likes him. He's not going anywhere this year and probably not next year either. After that, I think he's 100% replaced.

(06-21-2024, 08:06 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: GB may not anchor well, but he knows the offense and can make the line calls - taking that off of Darnolds plate. Thats a big deal - and it'll be a bigger deal in 25 when an even younger, greener QB is starting.

Yeah, we all saw what happened when Bradbury went down two years ago. I think we lost two games due specifically to mistakes the center made. 

PFF ranks Bradbury as the 15th best center in the NFL going in to 2024, and I think that's about right. In other words, he's average. And with two elite tackles, that's how NFL roster construction goes. People need to stop thinking we can have elite players at every position on the team. 49ers IOL was far worse than ours last year (look it up) and they were in the Super Bowl. It's just not as consequential as it looks from your couch. And many of those numbers that make it look bad will improve with a healthy Bradbury and a more mobile QB. 

Still, despite the talk of extending Bradbury again, I think we'll try to upgrade him sometime over the next year or two. But that will be with a draft pick and not a veteran. If we can get lucky with a guy like Jurgens, it would be chef kisses all around.

(06-22-2024, 10:32 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Yeah, we all saw what happened when Bradbury went down two years ago. I think we lost two games due specifically to mistakes the center made. 

PFF ranks Bradbury as the 15th best center in the NFL going in to 2024, and I think that's about right. In other words, he's average. And with two elite tackles, that's how NFL roster construction goes. People need to stop thinking we can have elite players at every position on the team. 49ers IOL was far worse than ours last year (look it up) and they were in the Super Bowl. It's just not as consequential as it looks from your couch. And many of those numbers that make it look bad will improve with a healthy Bradbury and a more mobile QB. 

Still, despite the talk of extending Bradbury again, I think we'll try to upgrade him sometime over the next year or two. But that will be with a draft pick and not a veteran. If we can get lucky with a guy like Jurgens, it would be chef kisses all around.

The biggest issue with Bradbury is his pass blocking & KOC's offense leans very heavily on passing. If Bradbury was a sub par run blocker, his deficiencies would be easier to live with.