Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So some asked for some JJM arm strength video?
This is a great video, but watch at 1:52 to see some serious arm strength. And 3:54.

And I posted the throw from the Indiana game where he's rolling to his left and as a right handed QB vapor trails a TD very accurately....he's got special arm talent. That and he's a winner (and all that entails) so he knows what it takes. And he's a leader.
[-] The following 3 users Like StickierBuns's post:

That laser shot at 1:52 required some serious umpha juice. On the run, really tight window on the sideline. Yeah, his arm strength is not just about chucking it up there ala Daunte Culpepper, but rather fitting into some really tight windows.

Here is an interesting breakdown of McCarthy looking at his accuracy and decision making...

https://zonecoverage.com/2024/minnesota-...-mccarthy/

It's long, but a good read with some video examples to support what the author saw (both good and and bad).
[-] The following 2 users Like MAD GAINZ's post:

(06-05-2024, 06:06 PM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: Here is an interesting breakdown of McCarthy looking at his accuracy and decision making...

https://zonecoverage.com/2024/minnesota-...-mccarthy/

It's long, but a good read with some video examples to support what the author saw (both good and and bad).

JJM needs reps, some time and seasoning, and if he can get those things, I feel fairly confident he can be the guy. But as I mentioned in another thread, my #1 concern is can he be accurate enough to trust and be a great NFL QB. As MB has said before, he won't ever be Kirk Cousins accurate IMO.....but he can be other things, along with having decent accuracy, that will elevate him above a Cousins' type QB. He's used to winning, its a mindset. He's the kind that steps UP in a key situation, not shrinks up. He's played in the most high profile games that CFB had to offer and excelled.

Josh Allen made a significant completion percentage jump in his 3rd year in the NFL and never looked back. And while I believe that JJM is more accurate than Allen was coming out (for sure), he'll incrementally get better the same way with playing time. Allen just turned 28 years old a few weeks ago, and he was 21 years old when he was drafted just like McCarthy. Fans need to give JJM some time and patience.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

(06-06-2024, 07:30 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: JJM needs reps, some time and seasoning, and if he can get those things, I feel fairly confident he can be the guy. But as I mentioned in another thread, my #1 concern is can he be accurate enough to trust and be a great NFL QB. As MB has said before, he won't ever be Kirk Cousins accurate IMO.....but he can be other things, along with having decent accuracy, that will elevate him above a Cousins' type QB. He's used to winning, its a mindset. He's the kind that steps UP in a key situation, not shrinks up. He's played in the most high profile games that CFB had to offer and excelled.

Josh Allen made a significant completion percentage jump in his 3rd year in the NFL and never looked back. And while I believe that JJM is more accurate than Allen was coming out (for sure), he'll incrementally get better the same way with playing time. Allen just turned 28 years old a few weeks ago, and he was 21 years old when he was drafted just like McCarthy. Fans need to give JJM some time and patience.

Oh for sure.  I also think the author overall felt that JJM is a very accurate QB.  I do think he was the QB most impacted by things out of his control (quality of his receivers and playing behind an OL that was better at run blocking than pass protection).  I thought it was interesting on some of the "inaccurate passes", the author provided clips to show the throw and discuss how the route is coached and even though he counted it as an "inaccurate" pass, the WR likely ran the route to the wrong depth and JJ threw it where the WR should have been on some of those anticipatory throws.

It just goes to show that some of these off target passes aren't always the QBs fault and grading them can be subjective because you have all these variables that influence whether a play is made or not.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MAD GAINZ's post:

(06-06-2024, 11:00 AM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: Oh for sure.  I also think the author overall felt that JJM is a very accurate QB.  I do think he was the QB most impacted by things out of his control (quality of his receivers and playing behind an OL that was better at run blocking than pass protection).  I thought it was interesting on some of the "inaccurate passes", the author provided clips to show the throw and discuss how the route is coached and even though he counted it as an "inaccurate" pass, the WR likely ran the route to the wrong depth and JJ threw it where the WR should have been on some of those anticipatory throws.

It just goes to show that some of these off target passes aren't always the QBs fault and grading them can be subjective because you have all these variables that influence whether a play is made or not.

So very true. Cousins threw a pick in the end zone a couple years ago where he took a lot shit for it. He never said anything about it. We didn't find out until that Netflix documentary months later than JJ ran the wrong route and apologized to Cousins. I think that kind of stuff happens all the time.

(06-06-2024, 11:17 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: So very true. Cousins threw a pick in the end zone a couple years ago where he took a lot shit for it. He never said anything about it. We didn't find out until that Netflix documentary months later than JJ ran the wrong route and apologized to Cousins. I think that kind of stuff happens all the time.

But look at the source. The story is from some dude that is trying to make a living posting analytics on a sport he's never played. He doesn't know plays, QBs get INTs every week thanks to the WRer running the wrong route. Or not being where he's supposed to on a hot route (blitz). 

There's a cottage industry of this stuff out there.

Alec Lewis, Vikings reporter for The Athletic, said JJM had his best camp day yesterday. Fluid, throwing strikes. One dime he fired to the sidelines, over a guy and right on the money to Trent Sherfield who was tightly covered by AJ Green III....Minnesota Vikings twitter posted it but I can't find it now. I guess Paul Allen was at camp yesterday as well, he tweeted about JJM's arm strength during a windy day yesterday (post above).

Found it: nice arm and layered it over the DB perfectly to Trent.

https://x.com/Vikings/status/17988889699...wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbssports.com%2Fnfl%2Fnews%2F2024-nfl-minicamps-live-updates-top-highlights-latest-reports-teams-in-action-notable-holdouts%2Flive%2F
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

(06-07-2024, 04:27 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: Alec Lewis, Vikings reporter for The Athletic, said JJM had his best camp day yesterday. Fluid, throwing strikes. One dime he fired to the sidelines, over a guy and right on the money to Trent Sherfield who was tightly covered by AJ Green III....Minnesota Vikings twitter posted it but I can't find it now. I guess Paul Allen was at camp yesterday as well, he tweeted about JJM's arm strength during a windy day yesterday (post above).

Found it:

https://x.com/Vikings/status/17988889699...wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbssports.com%2Fnfl%2Fnews%2F2024-nfl-minicamps-live-updates-top-highlights-latest-reports-teams-in-action-notable-holdouts%2Flive%2F

That is a fantastic throw. I like this Sherfield guy too. I think he could be this year's version of Brandon Powell. Really need Nailor back.