Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Penix/JJ or JJ/Penix
How do you think the Vikings had em stacked?

I am hearing some rumblings Vikings were very high on Penix.

(04-26-2024, 08:21 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: How do you think the Vikings had em stacked?

I think their calculation, and why they did not trade into the top 5 (after the Maye trade was shot down), was that the run on non-QBs would start at 4 and that ONE of JJ or Penix should still be available at 11, and they would've been happy with either. Penix getting taken by Atl spooked them into the trade up to 10. I could be wrong, but I don't think they would've taken Penix over JJ.

(04-26-2024, 08:21 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: How do you think the Vikings had em stacked?

Source?

KO didn't seem over the moon pumped like I thought he might've in some of the post-pick interviews but he looked happy. Until I see something definitive otherwise I still believe we had JJM ranked higher than Penix.

Impossible to know, but....does it really matter? I'm sure the team loved Caleb Williams and Drake Maye too, but there's no getting to them. Every year teams love guys they know they'll never get a chance to draft. I don't think many GMs thought Atlanta would pull the trigger on a QB at #8. Look at Bo Nix going at #12.

Vikings desperately needed a QB and they put themselves in this spot knowing this would be a very good year for drafting a QB as there's alot of talent. We'll see what happens with JJM.
[-] The following 2 users Like StickierBuns's post:

I think neither JJM or Penix was preferred enough to trade up for, but Nix was a tier below, so as long as JJM and Penix were on the board, they were going to wait it out and not lose a pick to get their “preferred” of the two.
[-] The following 1 user Likes medaille's post:

Darren Wolfson just was asked that question on Twitter and he said JJM for sure was preferred by Minnesota over Penix.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

(04-26-2024, 11:36 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: Darren Wolfson just was asked that question on Twitter and he said JJM for sure was preferred by Minnesota over Penix.

Good catch...Doogie is plugged in more than many in the media.

(04-26-2024, 11:36 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: Darren Wolfson just was asked that question on Twitter and he said JJM for sure was preferred by Minnesota over Penix.

Comfortable answer once the Pick is made

Penix was NOT high on the Vikings board. He was at least 6th. I’m getting that from things a GM said.

I think I know why KOC was how he was and it had nothing to do with Penix. KOC liked several guys a ton and would be happy to work with any of them. Kwesi kicked ass and got him one of those guys. Ultimately it was Kwesi’s call though.

Is there another one KOC was a little more into? I didn’t think so, but after watching him maybe he was leaning towards the other a little bit. It happens when you have some guys with the kind of accuracy and ball placement guys like JJM have shown. KOC spelled out to everyone what he wanted in particular and held as a number one attribute. Most didn’t listen.

It doesn’t matter though, JJM is our guy and I’m sure he’s super happy to have him. There was no world in which they were taking Penix ahead of him.

Atlanta taking Penix shocked teams and it wasn’t just because Atlanta took him. Seems his letter worked some magic for him.

Definitely JJ McCarthy.
[-] The following 2 users Like NFL Draft Guru's post: