Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Draft Week Rumor Thread
NFL Draft 2024 Rumors: Vikings Would Be 'Comfortable' Picking Bo Nix in 1st Round

Julia Stumbaugh

The Minnesota Vikings would be "comfortable" with using a first-round pick on Oregon quarterback Bo Nix if the team's plan to trade up doesn't work out Thursday, a source told Yahoo Sports' Charles Robinson.

Robinson described the source as "very-well connected."

The Vikings currently hold the No. 11 and No. 23 picks of Thursday's draft. ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Monday the team has expressed interest in trading those selections for the New England Patriots' No. 3 pick.

In the case the Patriots decide to hold onto the pick and draft either LSU's Jayden Daniels or North Carolina's Drake Maye, the source indicated "the Vikings are comfortable standing down in trade talks" and using one of the existing first-round selections to draft Nix, Robinson reported.

The Vikings recently held a private workout with Nix in Oregon, Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reported earlier this month.

Nix is ranked as the No. 62 overall prospect, and No. 5 quarterback prospect, on the latest B/R 2024 NFL Draft Big Board.

A five-year college starter, Nix transferred to Oregon in 2022. He finished his 2023 season as a Heisman Trophy finalist after throwing for 4,508 yards, 45 touchdowns and three interceptions, while adding 234 yards and six scores on the ground.

B/R NFL Scout Derrik Klassen wrote that Nix is "still an incomplete player for someone who has played so much football, but his tools are undeniable."

"Nix would fit best in a spread-oriented offense that emphasizes RPOs, the quarterback run game and vertical passing," Klassen wrote.

Oregon leaned heavily on RPOs throughout the campaign their first season under Will Stein as offensive coordinator.

The Vikings saw some ball-running mobility last season from rookie Jaren Hall, who made two starts and three appearances in 2023. Nix could be a good addition if Minnesota is looking to continue giving their signal callers chances to run the ball.

Originally projected as a second-round pick, Nix could slide to the first Thursday due to demand for quarterbacks.

The latest 2024 NFL Mock Draft by B/R NFL scouts projects four quarterbacks being taken within the top five picks, potentially raising demand for second-tier prospects like Nix as well as Washington's Michael Penix Jr and South Carolina's Spencer Rattler.

Thanks to the additional first-round pick the Vikings acquired in a March trade with the Houston Texans, Minnesota has a good shot at Nix if it chooses to target him in the first round. The question then would be whether the team feels the need to use the No. 11 pick on the former Oregon signal caller, or if they're comfortable waiting until No. 23.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1011...-1st-round
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

Here is the seventh version of our Vikings 2024 Mock Draft Tracker, which includes 37 recent predictions from across football media (Version 1.0 and Version 2.0 and Version 3.0 and Version 4.0 and Version 5.0 and Version 6.0).

A quarterback was involved in all 37 mock drafts reviewed.

External experts in 21 of the 37 mock drafts project the Vikings will trade up for Michigan QB J.J. McCarthy (24 mocks projected him to Minnesota; 13 forecasted trades in order to make him a Viking), North Carolina QB Drake Maye (6 mocks — each forecasting a trade-up scenario) or LSU QB Jayden Daniels (2 mocks — both forecasting a trade-up situation).

Oregon QB Bo Nix (2 mocks) and Washington QB Michael Penix, Jr., (1 mock) were projected to Minnesota when the Vikings stayed at 11.

Alabama cornerback Terrion Arnold was the only non-QB that experts projected to Minnesota with the team's highest pick. Nix was then projected to the Vikings with a second selection in the first round in both of those mocks.

Other mocks that had the Vikings staying put involved Minnesota adding to its defense, usually on the interior of the defensive line or with an edge defender.

https://www.vikings.com/news/2024-mock-d...20—%20both

I saw that there are 31 teams bidding on the Patriots' 3rd overall but the Patriots won't listen to any offers that do not include the first born son of the head coach.

Cool
[-] The following 1 user Likes VikingOracle's post:

(04-23-2024, 08:10 PM)VikingOracle Wrote: I saw that there are 31 teams bidding on the Patriots' 3rd overall but the Patriots won't listen to any offers that do not include the first born son of the head coach.

Cool

I think that maybe first born Asian daughter, knowing Robert Kraft. Just saying
[-] The following 4 users Like BigAl99's post:

(04-23-2024, 09:09 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Plenty of buzz surrounding reports that both the Vikings and the Giants are talking to New England about pick 3. But I still find it hard to believe the Giants even want a QB.

So maybe the buzz is real. Maybe those conversations really are taking place, but instead of a competition between the Vikings and the Giants, it's a 3-way negotiation between the Pats, Vikings and Giants. Vikings get 3, Pats get 6 and our '25 1st, and the Giants get 11 and 23 to build a team around Dimes.

I was thinking about this earlier and I agree. It doesn’t make a lot of sense that the Giants would go all in for QB right now. I think there is an out of Jones’s contract after this year so maybe they are hedging their bets, but they have a decent QB room right now. 

Edit: ignore this, as I read in you guys were already discussing it lol

If they are absolutely in love with Maye or Daniels, perhaps this is the real deal, but one other possibility I thought of is they want Marvin Jr. He’s a sure thing if there has ever been one in a NFL draft. I don’t think anyone doubts he will be elite. So I can see them wanting to jump a few spots to get ahead of the Cards. If I were in their shoes, it’s what I would do (assuming I wasn’t wanting to grab a QB). If this is the case, their only chance to get him is that number 3 spot.

With the latest 'rumor' that Minnesota would be 'satisfied' taking Bo Nix, that connects the top 6 interest in QBs outside of Caleb Williams. This is why its Liars Season, they can't have interest in all of them.

Today or tomorrow is when the more truthful stories come out. Read yesterday that Caleb Williams is a 'baby' and doesn't handle stressful situations well, lmao. But having said that, I think one of Caleb's weaknesses is leadership qualities.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

And of course the bashing: 'I wouldn't take him in the top 10'.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1011...-nfl-draft

(04-24-2024, 06:06 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: And of course the bashing: 'I wouldn't take him in the top 10'.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1011...-nfl-draft

One thing we know for certain: the NFL doesn't know what the hell it's talking about. Last year the consensus #1 overall pick was a total bust (at least so far). And the NFL's so-called QB whisperer traded three 1st round picks for another bust, and was saved only because he got lucky with the last pick in the draft the following year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

I think the Nix rumor is about the Vikings reminding teams in the top 5 that they do have a walk away point, that there are six QBs worth considering and while he may not be their 1st choice, they'd be just fine walking away and taking QB5 or 6 later in the round.