Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maye or McCarthy?
There's a great line at the beginning of the poker movie Rounders that goes "if you can't spot the sucker in your first half-hour at the table, then you are the sucker." Vikings are either really good at hiding their intentions or they're really bad. Because all the tea leaves in China are screaming Maye or McCarthy for the Vikings. 

So let's forget about Penix and Nix for a bit and go with what appears to be the most likely. Let's say the Vikings are able to trade up and both Maye and McCarthy are on the board. Who do you take and why?

I agree Maye/McCarthy are 1 and 2 on their target list. i believe Daniels is not because I think everyone and their mothers believe he is going 2 to Wash.

I dont agree a trade is most likely, but let me be respectful of your question vs debating that...

If the compensation for either were the same? I think they select Maye 10 of 10 times.

As a passer, he is more polished and was asked to do more as a QB, way more than JJ. He's got more experience doing so.
Ceiling wise? I suspect they have him higher than JJ too. Just a guess tbh. So a higher floor and ceiling.
I think smarts wise they'd be similar, physically they can both toss the rock, take a hit and run to extend plays.
I think Maye would play in 24, JJ would not.

Now, is Maye worth more with the extra comp he would probably cost vs acquiring JJ?
That is a much more difficult question and one that I hope KAM/KOC get right, thats if the gods decided to be good to the Vikings over the next 4 days.

I'd be happy with either but for me it's clearly Drake Maye. He was asked to do way more in college than McCarthy. He had to play hero ball whereas JJ had to game manage. Yes his #'s and play regressed some during the most recent season but his weapons stunk. The year prior when he had Downs he looked much better. Give him our suite of NFL weapons and I predict big things.

My honest/realistic hope for his career is to start out along this past-season's Mullens level-- move the ball but turn it over. But I think with experience he can clean the turnovers up and become a great QB.

I'm high on JJM too but the deciding factor for me is JJ not being given the full keys to the offense. Harbaugh has tailored his offense to his QB multiple times over the years with tons of success. He opted not to do that for McCarthy. And it led to a championship so good on him. But he couldn't have known that would be the result at the time he decided not to give JJ the keys. So what was his hesitation? That's my hesitation there. But again, I'd still be happy with either. Much moreso than Penix/Nix.

In your scenario, it would have to be Drake Maye. I think he's got everything KOC is looking for and what he lacks or has weaknesses in, KOC is convinced he can fix. But here's the scenario: McCown has either solidified that feeling with KOC are is moving him away from Maye because he's got the most inside info on him. But I'm only 70% sure of that because I think JJM has some intangibles that Maye may not have that are enticing. Maye really is Justin Herbert lite. I think McCarthy will be a better leader and a ride-or-die kind of player that his teammates will play hard for.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

I agree with everyone who says that Maye seems to be the one the Vikings prefer. I also agree that he was asked to do more and that his flaws can be corrected by KOC and his staff. He's a damned exciting prospect. 

That said, when I watch them play, damned if JJ doesn't appear to have better footwork, better short-to-intermediate accuracy, better velocity and better foot speed. Where I'd give Maye the edge is deep passing accuracy and prototypical size. 

I have to admit, I kinda go back and forth on these two.

It comes down to what you're giving up. Maye is the best fit of potential/system fit. But are we giving up a goldmine to get him? On the flip side, McCarthy may lack some of the ceiling of Maye but I do feel confident that you could win with him. Maybe what I am really saying is that I'd prefer Maye but wouldn't overpay for him if you could get McCarthy for a fair price.
[-] The following 2 users Like NFL Draft Guru's post:

p.s. I just think that drafting Drake Maye was never going to happen anyway. It was just fodder for the NFL 24/7 news cycle. JJM is much more realistic and probably going to slide a bit.

Vikings will trade with NE and select Maye or Daniels. NFL has approved it in advance.

(04-22-2024, 12:32 PM)Still Hurtn Wrote: Vikings will trade with NE and select Maye or Daniels. NFL has approved it in advance.

Them is some pretty concrete words!

You got this on good source or just a hunch?  Cool

Chris Simms might be letting his own personal biases filter into this mock, but wouldn't it be interesting if the Vikings trade up for McCarthy and Maye is the one that falls to 11? I don't think it's as crazy as it sounds...I do agree that Latham will go higher than most expect. That man is a monster.

https://twitter.com/CSimmsQB/status/1782457503705448601

[Image: GLyPpxhXwAA-mfO?format=jpg&name=medium]