Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Will the NFL punish the Falcons for Tampering?
The Purple Persuasion@TPPSkol

Per Mike Florio at @ProFootballTalk suggests the #Vikings could be waiting to see how the NFL disciplines the #Falcons regarding Kirk Cousins tampering and that there could be a pick swap between the two teams 

The NFL announced the #Cardinals - #Eagles verdict just before the 1st round of the draft in 2023.

"The end result could, and perhaps should, be that the Vikings will have the 8th and 23rd picks. Which makes their potential effort to trade up into the top 5 a little easier. Or maybe they’ll just stay put at 8 and wait for a QB they like to fall to them."

It's us so I'll put the chances of the football gods smiling down on us for once around 1% but that would be sweet if so. Do it Goodell and I promise I'll stop b!tching about you moving the awesome Saturday/Sunday marathon draft into a 4 day affair.

Which reminds me, I need to fit my annual rewatch of Draft Day in this week. Movie is like a fine wine!
[-] The following 1 user Likes pattersaur's post:

I think that'd be totally fair. The "tampering" didn't really change anything, the Vikings didn't want to pay for that much time and Kirk didn't want to just settle for 1, maybe 2 years. The impasse was gonna happen anyway.

So...the Vikings getting a 3-spot promotion in draft position would be a nice bonus. Maybe the tampering didn't change much, but this way...the NFL can look like it's doing its diligence.
LET'S WREAK SOME FUGGIN' HAVOK, VIKINGS!!! SKOL!!!

Didn't Miami lose a 1st and 3rd round pick for trying to set up a meeting with Brady one year? That would seem like a light punishment for Atlanta by comparison. They should just give us the pick!
[-] The following 1 user Likes JR44's post:

I don’t know why Florio keeps pushing this agenda. It’s stupid and delusional at best.

There is tremendous amount of precedence that every team tampers, every offseason. No team wants this to be something that the league starts to crack down on, and the league intentionally ignores this in almost every instance unless it’s so egregious that they are forced to act or they are wanting to punish a team for something else, but can’t and use this instead.

There is zero chance that we would receive a pick, when we told Cousins to go test the FA market.

I think there’s a reasonable chance they give Atlanta a slap on the wrist, just for Cousins being stupid enough to admit it out loud. Like maybe they lose a 2025 5th round pick or something.

Every team does it, but Cousins was dumb enough to validate it
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vanguard83's post:

As pattersaur said, it's us. The NFL won't do a thing. Except maybe privately congratulate the Falcons.

There are a couple of routes this can go. First, the NFL has rules and they presumably want teams to follow their rules. That gives the NFL an incentive to punish the teams that violate their rules. That is one route.

The other is that sometimes a specific team is injured by the violation. This year, a strong case can be made that the Vikings were injured by the Falcons' tampering with Cousins. (Years ago SF, and I believe Denver, violated the salary cap rules. I believe the NFL punished both teams, but no specific team was injured by the violation so no team was awarded compensation.) In order to be awarded compensation, the injured team may have to complain to the NFL. If it does not, the violator may still be punished, like Miami was, but no team may receive compensation. So that begs the question: have the Vikings complained to the NFL about the Falcons' tampering? If not, the Falcons can lose a pick but the Vikings may not be the beneficiaries.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dadevike's post:

(04-13-2024, 08:51 AM)dadevike Wrote: There are a couple of routes this can go. First, the NFL has rules and they presumably want teams to follow their rules. That gives the NFL an incentive to punish the teams that violate their rules. That is one route.

The other is that sometimes a specific team is injured by the violation. This year, a strong case can be made that the Vikings were injured by the Falcons' tampering with Cousins. (Years ago SF, and I believe Denver, violated the salary cap rules. I believe the NFL punished both teams, but no specific team was injured by the violation so no team was awarded compensation.) In order to be awarded compensation, the injured team may have to complain to the NFL. If it does not, the violator may still be punished, like Miami was, but no team may receive compensation. So that begs the question: have the Vikings complained to the NFL about the Falcons' tampering? If not, the Falcons can lose a pick but the Vikings may not be the beneficiaries.

Whether we get compensation or not that Atlanta tampered with Cousins will not affect the situation that Minnesota is in right now regarding our quarterback of the future in this up-coming draft.

WWWWWWill the NFL punish the Falcons for tampering…  Huh

& further tarnish the shield? Angel  Maybe, but as for benefiting the Vikings, I’ll believe it when I see it.  Angry
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kentis's post: