Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings centers Pat Elflein, Nick Easton asked to get up to speed
Quote: @twgerber said:
And I think Easton can play guard just like Elflein.
Maybe so. But that's probably more of a stretch than Elflein, who, by all acounts, actually played better at guard than center. Personally, I think if Easton wins, Elflein competes with Berger at right guard. If Elflein wins, Easton's on the bubble. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
They're identical in size. Here's where they differ: Easton 29 reps, 31 vert, 5.0 forty. Elflein 22 reps, 23 vert, 5.3 forty. Easton is stronger, faster and much more athletic. And since he went to Harvard, he's probably smarter, too, though that kind of "smart" has very little to do with football succedss. It sounds like Elflein's advantage is work ethic, leadership, instincts and football smarts. That's just a guess though based on what I've read. May the best man win.

I'd kinda like to see Easton win this and move Elflein to RG. On a related note, I heard Isadora's looking pretty good, too. Be nice to finally hit on one of those day-3 linemen. 
He's probably smarter, but probably not as good.  One went to a football school, the other played football while he was at school.

@twgerber said:
Maybe so. But that's probably more of a stretch than Elflein, who, by all acounts, actually played better at guard than center. Personally, I think if Easton wins, Elflein competes with Berger at right guard. If Elflein wins, Easton's on the bubble. 
Doubt he is on the bubble.  If he loses, he is a Berger type of backup.  Smart enough to play any spot on the interior.  And a solid backup at center.

I'd honestly like that scenario too, where Easton wins the C spot and they move Elflein to RG. Since I haven't read it anywhere, can anyone tell me which G spot they've been trying Isadora at? It'd be nice to see him bump in behind Boone and maybe take over next year. Hey you folks attending training camp, can I bribe any of you to really focus in on the OL and then do a writeup about that unit? I'd honestly like a review of each guy, or at least the guys who are truly in contention for starters and first backups. Yeah, it's a lot to ask, but I'm sure I'm not the only one here who'd love to read up about it Big Grin

with Easton, Elflein, as G/C candidates, and the emergence of Isiadora at G as well as a couple other guys that can play G as well like Sirles,  is there any chance that Bergers spot is in question?  Considering that he has been talking retirement, would the team opt to keep some youth with potentially a higher upside,  or are they going to let Joe try it one more year and risk exposing one of there hopefuls to the waiver wire?

Quote: @greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@twgerber said:
Doubt he is on the bubble.  If he loses, he is a Berger type of backup.  Smart enough to play any spot on the interior.  And a solid backup at center.
The only reason I say that is that Easton hasn't played any position but center, and least for the Vikings. And if Elflein wins, I would think Berger becomes the backup center with Isadora the backup guard? But...now that I really think about it, that would leave us very thin on the interior. 

Berger could maybe end up splitting time with someone else this season. Just to keep him fresh and give a youngster some game reps.
I'm anxious to see how preseason plays out...remember we don't have to cut anybody till after the final preseason game this year.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
with Easton, Elflein, as G/C candidates, and the emergence of Isiadora at G as well as a couple other guys that can play G as well like Sirles,  is there any chance that Bergers spot is in question?  Considering that he has been talking retirement, would the team opt to keep some youth with potentially a higher upside,  or are they going to let Joe try it one more year and risk exposing one of there hopefuls to the waiver wire?
Berger has been arguably their best lineman the last two years.  You don't just cut him.  He can play although I think this is his last year.

Quote: @twgerber said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Berger has been arguably their best lineman the last two years.  You don't just cut him.  He can play although I think this is his last year.
you could argue that,  but you could also say that is the "smartest kid on the short bus" argument.    you might be better off long term, and possibly even short term by choosing to go with the younger guys now that will be here for a few years.  I like JB, but his play is nothing spectacular, his greatest asset was his flexibility,  but he wasnt above average at either position IMO.... so I wonder if we have two flex guys and a few other younger players that could handle the G position.. do you risk losing an up and comer for a guy on his final hurrah?   I wouldnt look to cut him out right,  I would hope to trade him for a late round pick or something.

The only reason I say that is that Easton hasn't played any position but center, and least for the Vikings. And if Elflein wins, I would think Berger becomes the backup center with Isadora the backup guard? But...now that I really think about it, that would leave us very thin on the interior. 
And with Berger one hit from retirement, that wouldn't be a good move IMO.  Easton garnered some praise from Zim last year for being prepared enough to play a position he had never practiced when the mash unit got so thin.  He played guard in a heavy front for goal line I think.  So I think he is capable.

As to Berger being the best lineman?  Not sure where that comes from, but he wasn't so great IMO.  His pass pro has always been suspect, he doesn't set protections well.  He is a good backup, but barely a serviceable starter at center.